The Adventures of Jillian Spectre by Nic…

The Adventures of Jillian Spectre

by Nic Tatano

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google

The Adventures of Jillian Spectre is an exciting experience seen through the eyes of a seventeen year schoolgirl who has a special psychic talent. Jillian lives in the mystic quarter of New York and is a seer with defined powers pertaining to romance. When her psychic talents develop and her absent father appears Jillian's adventures become life changing and apocalyptic.

The story has strong, likeable characters and a fast paced plot. It portrays popular themes in original ways and contains a strong thread of humour which mindful of the intended audience counterbalances the dark themes explored. This sweet romance allows the reader glimpses into the conflicts faced by a teenage girl who helps the others with their love lives but can't see what lies in store for her.

The antagonist is a doubly dangerous since Jillian naturally wants to know her father yet must fight against the evil he threatens the world with. The ending is suspenseful and satisfying and leaves enough loose endings to make me want to read what happens next.

An enjoyable interesting read.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Collins UK Harper Impulse via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  jane.hunt.509511 | Nov 18, 2014 |
2.5 Stars

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and HarperImpulse to review.

I found this to be an easy, interesting read. I really liked the world that Nic Tatano built and I found myself intrigued by the whole concept. I liked the idea of a world where having paranormal powers are not a secret. The idea of a muse was something that I thought was rather original, which is satisfying when reading a book in this genre, because it seems almost everything has been done already.

Overall I was dissatisfied. I found the characters to be rather two dimensional. I didn't find myself believing in any of the romance aspects of the book. It was similar to insta-love, yet maybe the author is just trying to depict teenage relationships.

The whole teenagers-saving-the-world thing has been done a hundred times, and it was boring in this book. Also, the morals they are trying to show you in this book? Very after school special, and very obnoxious. "Technology is turning us into zombies" and "we all decided to wait".... seriously? Maybe if I was in elementary school this book would have been a good read, but I don't think it is a YA book. ( )
  manka23 | Apr 13, 2014 |
I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley(dot)com.

I really enjoyed this book. It was funny, and not what I was expecting.
Jillian is a seer but she can only see in to people's romantic future. That changes the day she accidentally sees someone's future after they've died. She sees into the Afterlife. She tells her mom who immediately tells the Council (the people who monitor Gifted people). Jillian then learns that her father is not actually dead, but is very much alive, and very evil. He has a direct line to Hell, and he is very powerful. He is also trying to destroy the world and it is up to Jillian and her friends to stop him.

I am excited to read the next book. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,392,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible