The Vanishing Girl by Laura Thalassa

The Vanishing Girl

by Laura Thalassa

Puberty introduces a number of biological and psychological stressor challenges for the normal adolescent. However, for Ember, a genetically-engineered 18-year-old, puberty brought additional challenges. When she falls asleep she can teleport to another destination but only remains ten minutes before she returns home. She has recently discovered that when she becomes 18, she is expected to serve two years in the military. However, when she is shipped off to a clandestine governmental facility with other teleporters she discovers that the teleporters are considered to be government property to be used as weapons for nefarious purposes.

Although a young adult novel, I thought the premise was intriguing enough for me to listen to this audiobook. I probably would have enjoyed reading it better than listening to it. I thought the female narrator’s male voices were unbelievable. She sounded like a boy imitating an adult male. The novel contains the usual young adult tropes, e.g., young love, which generally leads to ecstatic sex; love triangles, and a protagonist develops from inadequacy to extreme competency. The novel was enjoyable; however, ended with a cliff hanger, encourages to reader to pick up the author’s next in the series. I’m on the fence whether or not it would be worth it. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 19, 2017 |
I received an ARC ebook from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Great—4 out of 5 stars.

The Vanishing Girl is an intriguing contemporary sci-fi new adult novel with strong romance elements.

Ember, our heroine, struggles as a teleporter, while falling for a teammate, Caden. Teleporting for brief periods of time once a day triggered my curiosity. It is good twist. Even though the science is on the light side, it works very well, to the point it did not break my suspense of disbelief. Kudos to that.

Overall, a very well written and entertaining story with likable characters and a good storyline.
  Gerardo.Delgadillo | Mar 29, 2016 |
The Vanishing Girl is the first book in this series by author Laura Thalassa. As the story opens we meet Ember, an 18-year-old feisty girl who has a mysterious ability – she can teleport while asleep but only for 10 minutes. It started when she reached puberty but she never shared her secret with anyone, not even her parents. Soon she discovers that there are others who possess the same ability and that they are all a product of a government-sponsored fertility program. Their role is to help the government on missions concerning national security. She then meets Caden, a gorgeous guy with the same ability. Caden, as it turns out, is her partner; “her pair.” As Ember struggles with her feelings for Caden and her desire for freedom, she also finds herself questioning the government’s true motives, all while undergoing training, and soon, dangerous missions.

The story immediately piqued my interest from the start; it is well-written with a plot that is captivating. I liked reading about the different trainings they had to undergo (guerilla warfare, profiling, etc.) and how Ember developed her skills as the story progresses. The part with the simulations, and eventually the missions they were assigned to, was exciting to read. I also appreciate Ember’s curiosity and inquisitiveness; it’s always good to have a protagonist that isn’t afraid to question the norm. The ending is a cleverly written cliffhanger, so I’m looking forward to reading the sequel come this April. I’m curious to see whether some of the lingering questions in the first book will be answered in the sequel.

However, the attraction between Ember and Caden felt rushed, I would’ve liked it better if their relationship developed slowly. Also, I get it that they are seriously attracted to each other, but do they really have to behave like they are always in heat every time they see each other? In my humble opinion, if you have a well-written story with an interesting plot and characters, you can keep the sexual innuendos and intimate scenes to a minimum. Sometimes it takes away from the story rather than add to it.

That being said, I do like the book and will be pre-ordering the sequel. I’m giving The Vanishing Girl by Laura Thalassa 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 30, 2015 |
Oh My Giddy Aunt. First off, why are people calling this sci-fi adult? It's clearly YA. I clearly haven't learnt my lesson. Damn you beautiful covers. Secondly, if they don't stop giving shitty "mysertious" names to protagonists I will never stop calling YA writers pathetic. Terribly written and the idea that people who get tattoos are "eccentric" was enough to make me want to gouge my eyes out like Oedipus did after he'd found out he'd fucked his own mother.

I wa... I can't even. What's wrong with YA. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Book 1 of the series.

Every night after Ember Pierce falls asleep, she disappears. She can teleport anywhere in the world—London, Paris, her crush’s bedroom—wherever her dreams lead her. Ten minutes is all she gets, and once time’s up, she returns to her bed. It's a secret she’s successfully kept for the last five years. But now someone knows.

A week after her eighteenth birthday, when frustratingly handsome Caden Hawthorne captures her, delivers her to the government, and then disappears before her eyes, Ember realizes two things: One, she is not alone. And two, people like her—teleporters—are being used as weapons.

Dragged off to a remote facility where others like her live, Ember’s forced to pair up with her former captor, Caden, to learn how to survive inside until she can escape. Only Caden’s making escape seem less and less appealing.

But even as Ember falls for the boy who got her into this mess, she knows that she is running out of time. Because the government has plans for those like her, and those plans might just cost Ember her life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,574,421 books! | Top bar: Always visible