Silicon Man by William Massa

Silicon Man

by William Massa

My original Silicon Man audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Commander Cole Marsalis' job is to hunt down rogue robots. And he is darn good at it. Maybe it's because he does this with slightly more vengeance than other members of the AI-TAC squad due to losing a family member to one of these units. Unfortunately, to take down the movement that is helping these rogue AI units out he will have to become the thing he hates the most… a robot.

The narration for Silicon Man was done by Joe Hempel who is someone to watch in 2016. His narration style and pacing pair extremely well with the Technothriller genre. Hempel’s work is synonymous with quality and I’ve never had a problem with any of his audiobooks.

The first thing I thought when reading this was its similarity to another book that Hempel also narrated – Pandora’s Brain by Calum Chace. The two books could blend so well together it’s actually a little freaky.

This is one of the shorter books I’ve listened to in a while but don’t get me wrong, it has a lot packed into this small package. I actually enjoy when an author can totally surprise me with a story that’s only 200ish pages that rival thousand page books I’ve read.

The main character Cole is an interesting one. As the reader, we understand that he is out for vengeance in some way, but we don’t realize just how much it drives him. This lends for some excellent drama later in the story as Cole is forced to become the thing he hates.

I don’t want to go much more into detail about those scenes because they were really powerful in the story, and talking about them will just take away from the masterful writing style of William Massa.

The story weaves this wonderful back and forth tale where Cole and others grow and become different people by the end of the story. Any author that can pull that off without losing their audience is a master in my book.

Regardless, if you like science fiction and Technothrillers featuring rogue AI robots, incredibly well drawn out main characters, and secondary characters that make the story a fun and interesting read – this book is definitely for you.

And Hempel is one of those narrators that adds to the story instead of taking away from it. I feel lucky that I hadn’t read this book before checking it out on audiobook. The drama that Hempel is able to add with his voice makes this a must listen.

Audiobook was provided for review by the narrator. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Apr 12, 2016 |
I grabbed a copy of this through Kindle Unlimited.

I read some reviews prior to downloading this book and I have to be honest, I don't think we read the same book. Predictable was something that was repeated in those reviews, but I didn't find it predictable... I found twist to be rather astounding and thrilling. Maybe it is because this is my first journey into 'cyberpunk', but my main issue, the reason this did not get five stars, was the pace of the book.

Everything happened so quickly, great action/adventure, but I do feel that it had more of Cole's back story been explored, and had there been more interaction between... opppsss... I don't want to spoil it for readers... Had the pace slowed down a bit and the ending been left a little more open... would have given this five stars.

Still, this was a great yarn and I highly recommend it! ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,356,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible