What I Remember Most by Cathy Lamb

by Cathy Lamb

Outstanding. ( )
  dddale | Sep 29, 2017 |
I loved this book!
Grenadine is strong, brave, smart and talented. In spite of a difficult childhood and a betrayal of the worst kind from an abusive husband, she refuses to fall to pieces and manages to become a funny, proud and stubborn woman. The author weaves the three story lines together: her childhood in the foster care system, her current homelessness and the mystery of who and where her parents were.

Definitely a great read. I shall now have to check out Cathy Lamb's other books. ( )
1 vote DorisB | May 5, 2017 |
This is a wonderful book. It is dark and intense, but also light and hopeful. Grenady is leaving her husband and trying to start over again. Our heroine is a strong woman, determined to make the best of her life in spite of some bad choices and bad luck. She is determined to escape the bad memories of her childhood while at the same time trying to reconnect and remember what happened to her before she was put into foster care. This is the first book I have read by this author, but I will definitely look forward to more from her.. . ( )
  Doris345 | Apr 9, 2016 |
Another lovely book by Cathy Lamb. Grenadine Scotch Wild is found by the side of the road when she is 6 years old covered in blood. Her story unfolds through long forgotten memories and the reports of her many social workers as she is passed from foster home to foster home. She has just left her husband and is starting fresh in a place no one knows her, the generosity and kindness of strangers helps Grenadine come to grips with her past and move on to her future. ( )
  Brenda63 | Jan 26, 2015 |
Having won a copy of What I Remember Most as a Goodreads First Read book, I mistakenly thought that this would be a romance novel about a woman, who was leaving an estranged husband, to find a new life and possibly love in a small Oregon town called Pineridge. Although the novel did develop in this way, it was so much more about the life of woman named Grenady Scotch Wild, who was found, abandoned by a trucker off the side of the road when she was six years old. Grenady never knew the reason for her parents’ disappearance, and it haunted her in the ensuing years. Throughout the story, the author inserted flashes of recall in which Grenady would remember the phrase, “Run, Grenady, run,” and occasionally very dark and weird children’s nursery rhymes or poetry would be presented by someone named Butch or Danny. This signaled that something had probably gone amiss in this young child’s life to leave her homeless and without a family.
As Grenady moves from foster home to foster home, her experiences of abuse and mistreatment were inconsolable and so unforgivable. Realizing that this was a work of fiction, it did still leave me wondering if such exploitation really does happen, and I was appalled at what a child in foster care might have to endure.
In the beginning of the novel, I would occasionally bristle with the author’s choice of words, such as the Big V, in describing the vaginal area, but after reading about Grenady’s difficult life through the foster care system, I could understand how the author would choose to have Grenady speak in those terms.
I don’t know why I thought this book would be a light read, but it turned out to be very gripping and involved. I was most impressed with the strength of the main character, Grenady, and she spoke to me in how she was so resilient and determined in the face of tremendous adversity. ( )
  haymaai | Jan 25, 2015 |

When her husband is arrested for fraud and embezzlement and she faces jail time, Grenadine Scotch Wild moves to central Oregon to await the trial, and finally finds the courage to confront her troubled past.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible