Sidney Chambers and the Problem of Evil by…

Sidney Chambers and the Problem of Evil

by James Runcie

These books are just warm and cozy comfort food for me. Its always nice to check in with Sidney and his growing family and see what's been up, with the knowledge that it will be okay in the end. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 5, 2017 |
This is my third Grantchester books, and the book seemed dreary and uneventful. I felt the book contained too much preaching and not enough action for a mystery. I have decided to give James Runcie a rest and not continue the Grantchester mysteries, for a while. Runcie provokes religious and life searching questions which would be better served in a different genre. In this book, Sidney seems caught up in his own problems and feelings, such as he a good pastor or a good husband or a good man. I felt cheated and wondered where did the real Sidney go. Maybe the next book will be better, but this reader will read other books before returning to Granchester. ( )
1 vote delphimo | Jun 26, 2016 |
Canon Sidney Chambers is a full-time priest who enjoys involvement in mystery solving. He is also in his first year of marriage with his very supportive wife Hildegard. These four mysteries are set in England in the early 1960's. Mystery One--(The problem of Evil)--Priests are being murdered and dead birds are being left on doorsteps; is there a connection? Mystery Two--(Female, Nude)--A Sickert painting is stolen from the Fitzwilliam Museum as a nude woman circles the room singing in French. Mystery three--(Death by Water)--Sidney begins to question his decision to play the part of Reverend Theodore Venables in a film, set in Grantchester. An actor drowns during the filming; Sidney is immediately on the case. Mystery Four--(Christmas, 1963)--A newborn baby is kidnapped from the local hospital. Sidney and Hildegard are anticipating their first child. These mysteries, albeit unrealistic, are well-written and entertaining. ( )
  shsunon | Aug 28, 2015 |
I think part of the reason I have trouble getting into these is that I had kind of high expectations based on the Masterpiece series on PBS, but also that they're not book-length mysteries - each book has Sydney Chambers solving multiple mysteries, but the episodes aren't clearly short-story format either. The result is that you hit multiple points where you feel as if you're at the end of something, but there's more book, and then at the end of the book the feeling is no different than at any of those other points. The first book was charming, but after three of them, I feel like if one has followed a man for eight or ten years, one should have seen him learn or change or something, but that... doesn't seem to be happening. Or at least not enough to please me. I'm not sure I'll read on past this book. ( )
  upstairsgirl | Aug 15, 2015 |
Sidney lives a full life -- detecting, Hildegard, pastoral duties, and a new baby at the end. ( )
  bgknighton | Jun 17, 2015 |
'It is said that we are a great literary nation but we don't really care about literature ... we like a good murder.' Walter Sickert
For Marilyn
CANON SIDNEY CHAMBERS WAS thinking about the nature of forgiveness.

"Our favorite clerical detective is back with four longer mysteries in which Canon Sidney Chambers attempts to stop a serial killer with a grievance against the clergy; investigates the disappearance of a famous painting after a distracting display of nudity by a French girl in an art gallery; uncovers the fact that an "accidental" drowning on a film shoot may have been something more sinister; and discovers the reasons behind the theft of a baby from a hospital just before Christmas 1963. In the meantime, Sidney wrestles with the problem of evil, attempts to fulfill the demands of his faithful Labrador, Dickens, and contemplates, as always, the nature of love"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,453,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible