Love Hacked by Penny Reid

Another great book from Penny Reid. I am so happy to have found a great new author. Can't wait for the next book in Knitting series. ( )
  tiffsaddictiontobook | Jul 18, 2017 |
“I tell you, nerds rule the world.” When we first meet Sandra, she’s on a date with a man who reminds her of a honeydew melon. She’s been going on dates for two years now, and it is always with the same kind of guy. Safe, predictable, khaki-pants wearing men. We quickly learn that she makes all these men cry on their first dates. Not because she is mean, but because her empathetic nature (and the fact she’s a psychiatrist) makes the men feel like they can tell her anything. The men find something familiar about her, and they end up spilling their life stories and heartbreaks to her - and thus end up in tears. You can probably guess that nothing romantic comes from these dates. Sandra therefore has an abundance of platonic, male friends.

For all these dates, she goes to the same Indian restaurant. We are soon made aware of waiter Alex. Tall, dark, handsome, and mysterious. Sandra has a major secretive crush on him. “Alex the waiter was on my Spank Naughty list in third place, right after Henry Cavill the actor, then Henry Cavill as Superman. He was proof that God existed, and that God loved straight women.” Sandra writes off anything ever happening between the two of them because 1) he is younger than her and therefore not a good candidate for a longterm relationship, and 2) he gives off a feeling of disdain towards her whenever she is there. Until one date. After her date with melon head comes to an end and he leaves (after succumbing to his feelings and crying), waiter Alex surprises Sandra by sitting at her table with her. They engage in a short conversation where Sandra drunkenly admits that she hasn’t been kissed in three years. One thing leads to another, and Alex then gives her the zingy-ist of zingy kisses, which is the catalyst for their future relationship “It was the dress.”
“The dress?”
“Yeah - the red dress. I was compelled to act. I had no choice.” But it is not all smooth sailing. Things get complicated when talk of bitcoins, the NSA, parole officers, and federal prison make their way to the surface. This is not your typical romance. You will actually be smarter after reading this book… more on this in a minute.

Sandra is hilarious. She is also smart, quick-witted, a bit manipulative but caring too. She is extremely self-aware and in tune with her feelings. Probably a side effect of being a psychiatrist. She slips into her psychiatrist mode easily and often. She is extremely supportive of her friends and those she cares about. She isn’t known to ask for help or favors. Her friends are actually surprised, baffled even, when she approaches them for help at one point in the story. “You had me thinking you were going to ask for an actual favor. I thought it might be the first sign of the apocalypse.” Alex is complicated. He is also smart, sweet, a little controlling, and thoughtful. There is so much about Alex we do not know. Throughout the book, things are revealed, and it helps bring the puzzle pieces together of his personality and why he is the way he is. He isn’t used to caring or wanting something, like he cares for and wants Sandra. I love that he loses a little of his control when he finds that he has fallen for his lady love. Alex’s character isn’t one of my favorite KITC heroes, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t like him. The glimpses we get of him in later books, helps me to like him more too. “You don’t know love?”
“No.”
“But you’re so certain that this is it, that what we have - what we’re doing - that this is us in love?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Because it’s what love should be.” One of the things I love most about Penny Reid’s writing is her uncanny ability to make you laugh then immediately smack you with a philosophical knowledge nugget. "I winked at myself in the mirror, as I was prone to do. “Hey, sexy lady, I’m not drunk, I’m just intoxicated by you.”

"It seemed our society was raising a generation of fractured children, more an accessory to their parents than living, breathing, feeling beings." This is why it makes total sense when she says she writes ‘Smart Romance.’ Love Hacked is more than just two people falling in love. I learned about bitcoins (?!?), which I never would have researched on my own if I hadn’t read about it this way first. Yes, there’s a HEA (it is a romance after all), but I actually felt like I was learning something, more than just reading a good story. “If you support the blockchain then you get a percentage - or you can get a percentage, I should clarify - of each new bitcoin mined. It’s a self-sustaining system. No one needs to run it, no one is ultimately responsible for it, and it’s not tied to any country or government. It’s quite a superb example of a global computing cooperative utopia, actually.” I still don’t fully understand the whole bitcoin system, but it is nice that Reid thinks her readers are smart and want to know these things. No, wait, I should rephrase that; Reid knows her readers are smart and want to know things like this.

The ending was tied a little too perfectly with a bow; but sometimes one needs a book like that. This book can be read as a standalone, but I highly suggest reading from the beginning of the series.
Review originally posted on Books For The Living ( )
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |
Normally, I wouldn't review two books at a time, but not only did I buy both of these at once after reading and loving Neanderthal Seeks Human, but I also read them both in a day and a half, and when you have two children and a full time job, that's saying a lot. I've stated before that I am not normally a romance reader as a genre in itself but these books are the exception. The Knitting in the City series by Penny Reid has changed my mind. The snarky humor has me consistently laughing out loud or at the very least, leaves me with a wide grin on my face as each relationship goes through all of its ups and downs and constant emotional craziness. The strong bond between the women in the knitting group reminds us of the importance of friendship and of having someone to share your thoughts with and of course, knit a few sweaters while you're at it. The stories of each member of the group remind us of the intensity and passion and chaos of new love and taking that huge step onto the next path in life. The characters are real, each having their own story, and each quirky and endearing in unique ways, which is why I cannot wait to read about the next knitting club member's path to true love. Check out all of Penny Reid's books and more on her blog at reidromance.blogspot.com. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Joint review with Victoria

Vika:

Okay, all I can say: Can I have more please!? I'm seriously having a girl crush on Penny Reid because her books are amazingly addicting! I have yet to read Neanderthal Seeks Human, the first in the Knitting in the City series, but I went and purchased it as soon as I finished this one because I really wanted more. But because Penny is awesome you can totally read the books as standalones, although they are even more charming as a series.

In any way, there is no denying it, Penny Reid has a special way with words and her characters are so full of life – it’s hard not to love them. From Janie and Quinn, to Elizabeth and Nico, to Sandra and Alex, every story is unique and touching. I feel my heart melting along with those of our heroines because the men are just so unbelievable, yet quirky, imperfect and endearing in so many ways. I want to fall in love with them over and over again. And I’m seriously thinking I need to pick up knitting. Maybe then the ladies of Knitting in the City will adopt me into their circle, pretty please?

Karina:

Haha, V.! I can't believe you haven't read Neanderthal Seeks Human! It's just the best! By the way I do knit, but I'm nowhere near as proficient as the ladies of the series. I mean, sometimes they talk about rare yarns of wool with the same passion we talk about books.

I am totally with you on the series appeal - this is one of the best contemporary romance series I've had pleasure to read in years. These books are funny as hell, insightful and Penny keeps coming with such amazing new words that I can't help but borrow them from her. Manlicious, - for example. A delicious, yummy man candy.

Vika:

Alright, alright. I'm officially ashamed! But back to Love Hacked; I just finished Friends Without Benefits and went straight into this novel. Having read the blurb I didn’t know quite what to expect, but I loved Sandra from before and I wanted to know her story. And I should probably know by now that Penny doesn’t disappoint. Love Hacked is another fantabulous installment in the series! This book was perfect: incredible, touching, extremely hot, intimate, a bit unbelievable and I loved every minute of it.

Dr. Sandra Fielding is a child psychotherapist and she is an absolute firecracker. From her inner monologues to her occasion t-shirts she is just a trip in the best kind of way. Level-headed and rational, she is an optimist and is ready to find her prince charming. Only it’s been about two years of unsuccessful searching, as her professional persona seems to be having a negative affect upon her love life. That is until Alex, the waiter, comes along. Needless to say sparks fly immediately and the two decide to give this affair a go…

Karina:

Let's not even go into her love of horoscopes! Sandra reads her horoscope faithfully every day, and she has this serious criteria for finding a life partner, but inevitably her kind, sensitive, good natured, successful, middle-aged men end up crying on her shoulder before the first course of the evening is served. Consequently her psychologist friend's practice is booming because she keeps referring her dates to him.

Because she brings her dates to the same Indian restaurant, Alex watches her make men cry for two years before he at last decides to approach this maneater... *grinning*

Vika:

And oh, Alex! He was so full of mystery and delicious in every possible way. The slow unraveling of his secrets and his love for Sandra – it was almost too much – I mean the man does dishes after the night of hot monkey sex!!! *Swoon!* So ladies, I’ll tell you right now you will love the hot and brooding Alex because the man just has all the right words and actions to sweep Sandra of her feet – it was master class in delicious seduction.

“Oh sigh and shitzterhozen.”

Karina:

The best part of it is that Alex is much younger than Sandra which brings a nice twist to their relationship. He is also a famous computer hacker who is being watched by FBI and NSA which makes him extremely paranoid and which brings Sandra to their attention. Between his antisocial genius and her extreme eccentricity the reader can only laugh and sputter and hope for love to conquer all.

Vika:

All I can say – expect mayhem. And as always there are plenty of highlight(able) words and passages (I’ve probably highlighted a good portion of the book myself and savored those passages a number of times since and I’m not ashamed!). The writing is smart and witty, and laugh-out-loud funny and of course there are fab knitting sessions with the girls. So it's 5 stars for me but I will say no more because you should just read it for yourself and fall in love.

Karina:

Read it, peeps! Fabulous, sweet, sharp witted and full of yummy, manlicious goodness (what, between Quinn, Nico and Alex you wouldn't know where to lay your eyes!).

4.5/5 stars from me and Happy Valentine's, everyone! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
I feel so disappointed !

I was really excited about this one, but I felt nothing reading about Alex. I couldn't get myself to care about him. Sandra could have left him for another guy in the last chapter and I wouldn't have cared one bit.

Yes, I knew he was younger than her, but he was also immature at times. He scared at times. for 70% of the book he didn't share anything with Sandra, how she loved him, I still wonder.

Anyhow, I will still wait for the next book of the series, just for the pleasure of reading about Quinn and Nico :) ( )
  Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |

There are three things you need to know about Sandra Fielding: 1) She makes all her first dates cry, 2) She hasn't been kissed in over two years, and 3) She knows how to knit. Sandra has difficulty removing her psychotherapist hat. Of her last 30 dates, 29 have ended the same way: the man sobbing uncontrollably. After one such disaster, Sandra--near desperation and maybe a little tipsy--gives in to a seemingly harmless encounter with her hot waiter, Alex. Argumentative, secretive, and hostile Alex may be the opposite of everything Sandra knows is right for her. But now, the girl who has spent all her life helping others change for the better, must find a way to cope with falling for someone who refuses to change at all.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:23 -0400)

Penny Reid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible