Nine Lives to Die: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery by…

Nine Lives to Die: A Mrs. Murphy Mystery

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown (Author)

English (27)  Italian (1)  All (28)
Good mystery, and fairly well-written. You can always tell who the villains (or potential villains) are, and I figured out the motive for at least one fairly early on, but it was still told well and took twists I wasn't expecting. While there were some political/social snipes, they didn't seem quite so forced, and weren't related to some overall agenda. For that matter, the murders had nothing to do with some political/social statement, either, which was nice for a change. ( )
  eclecticlibrarian | Nov 3, 2015 |
This was my first book in this series and my first book by this author.

And I didn't like it. I found the story line difficult to follow. Are the animals talking? or are humans talking? It seemed to switch around a lot and just wasn't that good.

katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While not the best entry in this series, this is still an enjoyable read. The animals play a little more important part in solving the mystery this time around as opposed to just commenting on the action. These books are a nice bit of escapism after a hard day at work. ( )
  dulcibelle | Apr 2, 2015 |

Rita Mae Brownprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brown, Sneaky PieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Rita Mae Brown and her feline co-author Sneaky Pie Brown return with an all-new mystery starring Mary Minor “Harry” Haristeen, intrepid kitty sleuths Mrs. Murphy and Pewter, and Tee Tucker, the ever-faithful crime-solving corgi. This time around, Harry and her animal friends track a killer whose trail has gone as cold as the weather in December.

NINE LIVES TO DIE

Winter has come to Crozet, Virginia, bringing with it a fresh blanket of snow. Harry and her husband, Fair, are hip deep in their usual end-of-the-year activities: distributing food to needy residents, and shopping for outfits for the Silver Linings youth organization’s annual fundraising gala. But buried beneath the white stuff are dark secrets from Crozet’s past—and Harry and her posse of pet detectives are determined to sniff them out.

Two Silver Linings mentors have been found dead in suspicious circumstances. If that weren’t enough to chill the bones of the locals, a pair of severed human fingers has turned up in a pencil jar in the bookkeeper’s office at St. Cyril’s church. What does this grisly display have to do with the mysterious disappearance of Harry’s voluptuous high school Latin teacher, a quarter of a century ago? Maybe nothing. But when the animals make another gruesome discovery in the woods behind Harry’s farm, it becomes clear that terrible crimes have been committed in Crozet—and somebody’s gone to great lengths to cover them up. It’s time to stop shoveling snow and start digging for clues.

The truth will be revealed. A cold case will be solved. And a twenty-five-year-old love triangle is about to get untangled. The weather outside may be frightful, but Harry and her four-legged friends refuse to be spooked off the case.

Praise for the Mrs. Murphy mysteries

“As feline collaborators go, you couldn’t ask for better than Sneaky Pie Brown.”—The New York Times Book Review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

A busy holiday season for Harry, her husband, and her posse of pet detectives is interrupted by dark secrets from the community's past involving a cold case and a twenty-five-year-old love triangle.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rita Mae Brown's book Nine Lives to Die was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible