Storming the Black Ice (Pacific Rim Series)…

Storming the Black Ice (Pacific Rim Series)

by Don Brown

132723,089 (4)None

#3 of 3 in the series, all can be read individually. The plot is intriguing, the author’s knowledge of the subject is not so obvious--this guy is a Navy JAG talking ops. He's learned some. The scenario might have been ripped from War College war game, and it shows. Nevertheless, it was a pretty good book, light on the technical details and fun to read. Why only three stars? I just couldn't get into the listen. ( )
  buffalogr | Nov 17, 2017 |
Title: Storming the Black Ice (Pacific Rim Series #3)
Author: Don Brown
Pages: 368
Year: 2014
Publisher: Zondervan
When I requested to review Storming the Black Ice, imagine my surprise to learn it was the third book in the Pacific Rim series! Therefore, I read and reviewed the first two novels in the series, Thunder in the Morning Calm followed by the sequel, Fire of the Raging Dragon. Both books were immensely enjoyable. Now, having finished the third novel, I am hopeful that the author continues to write tales about navy encounters with various factions on many parts of the globe.
Each book in the series can be read as a stand-alone, although the thrill of adventure seemed to elicit excitement as I read the stories in sequential order. Unlike other novels I have read the main characters tend to be more like backdrop framing while the tale develops in each book with new lead characters. I wonder if this is somewhat reflective of the real service in the military or tensions that tend to plague nations, both of which always seem to be in a constant state of change.
There is a flavor of romance that at times seemed a bit more passionate than in the first two books, but nothing inappropriate. As I kept turning pages, it was as if the leaders were constantly being awakened or taken away from one event in order to deal with a crisis situation. I cannot imagine having to live life on a constant rollercoaster, never knowing when someone’s actions against the nation or its allies may disrupt whatever plans were on the calendar.
As I read this story based in Antarctica, I was reminded of the brave female doctor who some time ago had to stay alert to tell others how to take a biopsy of her breast in order to diagnose the lump. While she lived to tell her story for a while after her tour on the ice, eventually she passed away, but I haven’t forgotten her story.
Here too is a reminder that our nation and her allies are remaining constantly vigilant to ensure the safety of America. Along with leaders, both political and military, are the families who sacrifice time and a “normal” life so their loved one can continue to serve this great country! My thanks to the author for his service and sharing his passion for storytelling about the Navy along with those who encourage, pray and allow him to retreat to write.
My rating is 5 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Mar 15, 2014 |

When British geologists discover the world's largest oil reserves under the desolate, icy tundra of Antarctica, Britain and Chile form a top-secret alliance for control of petroleum resources that will rival the economic power of OPEC. But when their discovery is uncovered by an Argentinean intelligence officer, a surprise-attack against a secret British outpost in Antarctica triggers a war. Britain and Chile are in a military standoff against Venezuela and Argentina, and when the war escalates, Britain asks America for help. For two couples separated by the battle, the outcome will be either love reunited or devastating heartbreak. For a young British boy living with his mother in London, his father's life is on the line. And for Pete Miranda, an American sub commander detailed on a special military assignment to his father's homeland of Chile, will his fate be a crushing death under the icy-cold waters of the Antarctic Ocean, or a future of life, light, and a second chance for love? '. . . the realistic scenes of submarine warfare and daring escapes, along with family, love, and romance make this a surefire hit for fans of military, war, and suspense novels.' ---CBA Retailers and Resources

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:19 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,519,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible