Compulsion by Martina Boone

So apparently I have a "thing" for Southern Gothic tales of romance and mystery. I loved this book, the character all steeped in backstory- of which neither we nor the main character (Barrie) knows anything about, the mystery of who she and the other founding families have their "powers" and the repercussions of using those same powers and the blossoming romance between Barrie and Eight (he's the eighth in the line with the same name).

It was so interesting to focus on the psychological aspects of magic and what it does to your psyche- in terms of the limitations that Ms. Boone has put on her characters and the definite limitations they have BECAUSE of the powers, not the actual abilities those powers provide.

It's not perfect, but it's so darn close, I was rooting for Barrie and wanted her cousin to get her comeuppance, and hopefully that will happen in the next installment- ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
2/3rds Beautiful Creatures series with a dash of Lauren Oliver's Rooms. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
The cover is mysteriously beautiful and catchy, this is the book that has been on my TBR list for a long while, on and off and finally I got the change to read it.

It's a fast read and completely different of what I had expected, much more overrated than I could have imagined. Its a trilogy of family saga with long history of mystery, family history and revenge between extended family members. It's something as a little detective plus paranormal and romance plot. The book is about Barrie who has agreed to go and live with her aunt after her mother's death, aunt whom she has never heard of, and whole extended baggage that gets included - super tiny village town with everyone having "small town mentality", "wireless phone" message system - aka mouth of word and family's history involving raging distant family members and whole lot strange, mysterious shadows and creepy stuff that Barrie tries her best to get her answers. She falls for a boy and who also becomes her best friend over the weeks time shes there..
Together they find and reveal an awful tragedy that her family has kept well hidden and should not have been..

Leaving my review to this point - I started to dislike the main character the moment shes thinking in her mind - and thats whats gonna be in the next book - selfishness..thats the way I see it.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read the book! ( )
  ilonita50 | Nov 3, 2016 |
At first it started out a little slow I kept wondering what the heck I was reading about-romance, Gothic, mystery, paranormal etc. etc.?? Then around page 135 the story took really took off and I didn't put it down until the end. I thought it was a very unique story and really original characters. I can't wait to read Persuasion! ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Loved this book! It never stopped giving me surprises. The characters scream for more word time. It is a series in the making, so much room to grow. I couldn't put it down. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Mar 1, 2016 |
Her hands crept around his neck, tangling in his hair to keep him closer, even though she knew that beautiful boys with expiration dates couldn't be held, only borrowed for a time.
But you can’t lose someone you truly love.  Love doesn’t come with an on-off switch.  It’s made of too many threads of memory and hope and heartache that weave themselves into the very core of who you are.  You carry all those shared experiences with you.
It doesn't matter how great your shoes are if you don't accomplish anything in them.
Overcompensating for being scared isn't the same as being brave, baby girl.
The things I regret at the end of my life aren’t the ones that left me hurt. I regret all the things I never had the courage to do.

After the death of her disfigured, shut-in mother, Barrie Watson moves to her aunt's South Carolina plantation, which is guarded by an ancient spirit who cursed one of the island's three founding families and gave the others magical gifts that become compulsions.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible