Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life…

Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed: A Memoir of the…

by Michelle Knight

Other authors: Michelle Burford

English (32)  French (1)  All (33)
This book is so powerful and heart-wrenching. I hardly have the words to describe how much it affected me. I've read the book by Amanda and Gina already, but Michelle's book is superior.She is such an inspiration and her story so brutal. I was crying at her life before she was even kidnapped. The book held me in a shocked grip, and I read it in two sittings. A must read! ( )
  ElizaJane | Feb 6, 2017 |
A heartbreaking story but amazing that she stayed strong throughout. I hope that she is able to see her son again soon. ( )
  Traciinaz | Mar 17, 2016 |
yes I have read many true crime books and have read horrible things but what she experienced surprised me. Was worse than I expected.

(I am going to say a bit of some things in the book so if you do not want to know do not read on please)

How can a man have sex with a woman who was not able to wash herself for a year. Who peed on herself because she had no choice but he did not mind. Terrible . When you see a picture of him he does look perfectly normal but as I told my daughter mean people can look decent and look like your next door neigbour.

What I also noticed was that it seems there is some animosity towards Amanda. The way she described things you just could feel her not liking her or something. Perhaps some jealousy because in the book she says I quote:

"One thing had become very clear to me. If I was ever going to break out of this prison, I would have to do it myself"

I immediately highlighted it because there was the animosity again but then it turned out it was not Michelle but Amanda who managed to break out and that makes me wonder .Why did she write that?.

There were a few highlights I made where she was questioning why o and so did not notice that something was up. Like when she was wearing a wig and no coat on during a very cold day apparently a man saw her and did not do a thing and she said she is still angry, no she is still furious. How could he not think something was off. She says.

What a horrible thing to have had to experience. I feel so bad for them.

She does not want to see her family which is her choice. I do think it was not all her family and other people's fault that she lost her child.

In the book she admits that they even offered her a car ride so she would be sure she could see her baby because she had missed the other appointment but she turned it down because she said she was counting on her family. Sorry but something so important I would not even think of not taking that car ride from social services.
There are always 2 sides to one story with the exception of crime of course. The only one guilty is that creep that accidentally killed himself. So glad Michelle decided to testify against him. She is strong and I hope she realizes she can do whatever she want to do. She is a small but such a strong woman.

No ratings.

Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
It's difficult to give this book a star rating. This young lady is extremely brave - I hope the rest of her life makes up for what she endured. ( )
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |

Michelle Knightprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burford, Michellesecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Joey
Ma disparition, en 2002, est passée quasiment inaperçue.
Preface:  The day I disappeared in 2002, not many people even seemed to notice.

Describes the details of the abduction and decade-long captivity of one of the three survivors of notorious Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro, and how she found the courage to endure unimaginable circumstances and never lose hope for the future.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michelle Knight's book Finding Me was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,981,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible