The Space Between by Diana Gabaldon

The Space Between

by Diana Gabaldon

Fun, exciting read. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Aug 25, 2017 |
The depiction of Michael's grief felt very true to life and the insight to Joan's choice of vocation was interesting. In the main novels she isn't particularly interesting or sympathetic, but I liked her in this novella. The stuff with the time traveling men was too undeveloped. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Mar 21, 2017 |
I had to read this a couple of times, and I'm sure that I still missed a lot. This novella is packed full of useful Outlander series information. There are so many mysteries. This helps some with the blue color surrounding certain people and other things in the series. It also leads to so many new questions. The family tree is looking like everyone in the series is somehow connected. I admit I mostly focused on Jamie, Claire, Lord John, Brianna and Roger while reading the other books. I need to do a reread and pay closer attention to some of these others. It's turning out that every detail seems important. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Via my eReader. Fun and satisfying novella in the Outlander world. New and old characters. I'm such a fan and this little book demonstrates why. Gabaldon is a modern Dickens. Lots of stuff always going on in her books, many characters, big picture points, a bit romantic (but smart), and safe but wild at the same time. I also like that her characters are like real people -- you get it all, for example, not everyone is a Christian and not everyone is an Atheist, and life questions abound. Getting ready for the new Outlander series on Starz and the new book, both magically released this summer, this is the perfect teaser. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
For one of the many fans awaiting for the next Outlander installment this June, I was thankful for this short story to tide me over. If you're just starting this series, this novella will be a bit spoilerish.

This fun gem follows Joan McKimmie, daughter of Laoghaire (pronounced "Leery", or as we fans like to call her, "Leg Hair") on her quest to quiet her inner demons.

The story opens with Joan, accompanied on a ships passage to France by Michael Murray, Young Ian's brother. Joan seems to be running from her own demons, the voices in her head, no really...real voices, while she finds a kindred heart in Michael's sadness and strength. Although, she's off to the convent to become a nun while there are those in France who don't belong in 1700s France. There's your hint of time travel and "the space" between.

Joan is pretty gutsy. Knowing her stepdad, Jamie, and Leghair? How could she NOT have some fire? The nunnery will not be the same. I hope her 'deciding' year goes by quickly....you'll see what I mean.

Go read it. Its short and come back so we can be swoony over the awesomeness that is the Murray offspring. A new one to read about!

Michael's character made my brain melt. Here we go, another strong, endearing, redheaded Scot to be all gushy over and this while he is in a time of sorrow, mourning the loss of someone he loved dearly. And then he gets to save the day, all in 100 pages.

For the record, I would grab up anything DG writes on the Murray boys...I already adore Young Ian's character.

Richly detailed, fun read. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 16, 2015 |

-- Praise for Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series -- --New York -- "Wonderful . . . This is escapist historical fiction at its best."--San Antonio Express-News, on Drums of Autumn

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,679,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible