Cyador's Heirs by L. E. Modesitt

Cyador's Heirs

by L. E. Modesitt

%read (1) 2014 (1) 2015 (2) 4.5 Star Rating (1) AF (1) book (1) default (2) ebook (1) fantasy (21) fiction (7) First Edition (1) hardcover (1) HC (2) le modesitt (2) library (2) magic (1) Modesitt (1) novel (1) paperback (1) read (3) Recluce (4) reviewed (1) Saga of Recluce (3) series (2) sf (1) to-read (4) Tor (1) ul14 (1) unread (1) unsorted (1)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: Cyador's Heirs Series: The Saga of Recluce Author: L.E. Modesitt Jr. Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: SFF Pages: 629 Synopsis: Cyador is gone and its survivors are in Hamor, trying to carve out a kingdom amongst hostile dukes of surrounding kingdoms. The younger son is sent off to be trained and ends up fighting a war in defense of a new ally. My Thoughts: The fact that I am still reading this series should say something. However, I am not sure what, as I do nothing but complain about each book as I read them. Modesitt has a certain voice when writing the Recluce books and it is one that can stupify, grate and generally annoy. Even while telling a rather fantastic story. And that is what keeps me coming back. The stories. The stories are formulaic to the extreme, nothing is original and you'll be sick and tired of people eating by the time the novel is done. But you'll read it to the end and read 17 books worth and read the next book when it comes out. What can I say? I still enjoy these but it is with the knowledge of the flaws, deliberate I believe sometimes, of these books. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
The first of a duology set in the Recluce series, this is a good one.

As usual with Recluce we are taken on the journey of a young person that grows into the shoes of an adult, and we see the world, more through the eyes as an adult would. Not that Modesitt is trying to achieve that but he does not have Eddinggs mastery of writing how a young person sees the world. All heroes that Modesitt gives us can think through problems like a wise old man, and then come up with a great solution to a problem.

Not that it detracts from the series, and this duology will certainly see problems that an older person can solve better than our hero at his age. Yet out on campaign in a war, our hero learns and adapts and we watch his progression with fascination. Later we see in the scheme of the entire work a very much political, socio and economic underpinnings that pave the way for the development of further depth to the characters as well as the plot. All adds to make a convincing story that may well be worth a reread. ( )
  DWWilkin | Jun 8, 2015 |
This is another excellent addition to the Recluce series, the 17th book published, but it's currently the 6th chronologically & has different characters & setting than any others. It's a coming of age & learning to use The Force story. Very enjoyable & a different way of looking at & handling the magic than others.

There is a subtle conspiracy that must be handled as well as the complicated duties & the obvious conflict. As usual, all are handled very well. I highly recommend it if you've read others in the series. If not, I'd suggest reading them in published order the first time. I've read most several times & like to reread them in chronological order. The first grows the world & magical system better, but the second works the history better for me.

I do have a couple of complaints. First, what's happened to Rahl's story? It begins in [b:Natural Ordermage|437649|Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce, #14)|L.E. Modesitt Jr.|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388338699s/437649.jpg|2223166], continues in [b:Mage-Guard of Hamor|2292175|Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce, #15)|L.E. Modesitt Jr.|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1388363394s/2292175.jpg|2298481], & ... I'm hanging here. What happens?!!! Well, we know, but I'd like to read it happening. He's done 2 & 2/3 trilogies in the Corean Chronicals, too. The last (middle chronologically) trilogy still needs a book, doesn't it?
No, apparently I'm wrong on the above. I asked the question on his website, http://www.lemodesittjr.com, & he replied
L. E. Modesitt, Jr. says:
June 3, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Any additional book about either Mykella or Rahl would have to be either totally unrealistic or a definite anti-climax, since they’ve both destroyed all credible opposition. I’d prefer not to write either toally unrealistic or anticlimactic books.
I'm totally OK with that. Actually, I'm ecstatic. Modesitt is an author that doesn't want to milk a series!!! Wow. It's obvious I need to reread those books.

Secondly, on page 432, Juist follows Altyrn to meet Lerial. A few paragraphs later, on the same page, Lerial asks what happened to Juist & Altyrn tells him there has been no word. Dammit, he's standing right there. No, actually he's not. Someone else is. Grrr...

Tor, why should I buy books from you, one of the Big Six publishers, if you can't provide proper editorial support to one of your better authors? If I want crappy editing, I can get some otherwise great self-published books for free or a lot cheaper than this pre-ordered hardback. (If it's not obvious, I don't blame an author too much for such gaffs. It's a big, complicated book & the author needs other sets of eyes to find such things.)

Anyway, if you haven't read this series, you should & you should continue through this book. A follow up to it is coming in August 2014, I think. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

L. E. Modesittprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mitchell, EllisaMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Decades after the fall of Cyador, its survivors have re-established themselves in Cigoerne, a fertile country coveted by hostile neighbors in less hospitable lands. Young Lerial, the second son of Duke Kiedron, lives in the shadow of his older brother Lephi, the heir to their father's realm. Lerial's future seems preordained: He will one day command his brother's forces in defence of Cigoerne, serving at his older sibling's pleasure, and no more. But when Lerial is sent abroad to be fostered by Major Altyrn to learn the skills and wisdom he will need to fulfil his future duties, he begins a journey into a much larger world that brings out his true potential. Lerial has talents that few, as yet, suspect: He is one of those rare beings who can harness both Order and Chaos, the competing natural forces that shape the world and define the magic that exists within it. And as war finally engulfs the fringes of Cigoerne, Lerial's growing mastery of Order and Chaos is tested to its limits, and his own.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:28 -0400)

Destined to command his brother's defense army, Lerial, the second son of Duke Kiedron, discovers during his training that he has a rare power to harness both Order and Chaos.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,541,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible