The Garden of Darkness by Gillian Murray…

The Garden of Darkness

by Gillian Murray Kendall

I feel like Gillian Murray Kendell wanted to create a grim, darkly realistic take on the already massive young adult post apocolyptic genre. A young adult The Road if you will. Which would have been pretty cool, but unfortunately Kendell misses the mark here.

The problem, the main one at least, is that she constantly pulls her punches. Maybe she was just too attached to her characters, I don't know, but she was constantly putting them in threatening situations and then pulling them out at the last minute.

Early on a little girl is stabbed, seemingly fatally. I was impressed. I thought, ok, this author is really going to look at what life would be like for kids in an adultless, post epidemic world. But no the kid turned out to fine, and was up and about in a few days.

This happened again and again. The characters would fine themselves in a terrible, dangerous situation but right before anything permanent could happen the author would pull back. After a while I stopped worrying that anything bad was going to happen. No matter how bad everything looked I know everything would be fine. Boring.

Add to this kids that do not act like like kids at all. A thirteen year old can apply stitches and diagnose meds. A fifteen year old cheerleader quotes shakespeare. A seven year old constantly sprouts philosophic hindu musings. It's not even slightly believable. The stereotypical, one note main bad guy is barely worth mentioning and the ending is just ridiculous.

Overall it wasn't bad enough to stop reading but it was pretty meh. ( )
  MeganDawn | Jan 18, 2016 |
Recensione su: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-ou
Review at: http://wp.me/p3X6aw-ou ( )
  Saretta.L | Jan 23, 2015 |

When a disease nearly wipes out Earth's adult population, four children journey to find a cure, allegedly held by the one adult still alive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,464,889 books! | Top bar: Always visible