Blood Magick by Nora Roberts

Magic! (64)

Pretty good, had a hard time getting back into the story, but loved the last quarter of the book - great ending! ( )
  ladykat | May 15, 2017 |
“You can’t hide or run from me. I’ll follow you, Finbar, track you like a hound, I swear it on my life. I won’t go back to living without what I love. I love you.” – Branna O’Dwyer

I… don’t even know where to start. I have no idea where this one went wrong, but it sure as hell wasn’t what I expected from a NR trilogy concerning witches…

In the finale of the O’Dwyer Cousins series, we see Branna O’Dwyer and Finbar Burke in ways we dreamed of ever since detecting their chemistry and tension. However, they both know there can never be anything more between them than friendship and companionship against Cabhan. The universe – and what happened between their ancestors – are bound to keep them apart forever. Even so, they’re determined to break the dark curse circling above their heads once and for all, if only to make sure their loved ones will be happy and prosper without any more fears in the future…

Seriously, this series was already kinda… not my cup of tea, but this final book? It just nearly made me break down in tears of frustration! It’s bad enough there was way too much research and talking instead of action, but at least in the other two books I had the couples to take my focus away from that. Unfortunately, such was not the case with Branna and Fin.

Allow me to make myself clear right now: IT WAS NOT FIN’S FAULT! The guy was perfect, and if men like him actually exist, can I please have one? I’ll happily and proudly make him my babies’ daddy! A man romantic, selfless, self-sacrificing, always thinking of the best for his soulmate, even building a freaking house the way she would want, hoping against all hope that she would grace him with her presence and notice what he had done for her! He was a homemaker, and a warrior, and a hard-working good friend, all in one temptingly good-looking package (an Irish one, mind you, so yeah, he was 99% perfect IMHO), and what does Branna see when it comes to him?

His cursed mark!

WHY?!

What on sweet Earth, woman?! The poor bloke was practically melting for you, laying everything he always had and will be at your ungrateful bitchy feet, and you can’t bring yourself to see past what he had no say in or could help with? It’s not like he asked for it!

OK, yeah, she somewhat trusted him after TWO books of everyone around her being on her case to finally do so, but that meant squat to me! She was hard to work with, unbearably bitchy and snappy, and she kept unconsciously blaming him for his connection to the dark bastard they had to deal with – you can’t fool me, I just KNOW she did!

Not to mention that, yes, she was boring! BORING! If she wasn’t cleaning or subtly snapping in her unique “iceberg” way, she was cooking. All. The. Time! And don’t get me started on when she talked to Brannaugh – dear ancestor of hers, can you go die for me somewhere far away from this realm? HOW DARE YOU TALK LIKE THAT ABOUT A POOR MAN WHO WAS DENIED WHAT HIS HEART WANTED THE MOST BECAUSE OF SOMETHING YOUR MOTHER CURSED HIM WITH LOOOONG BEFORE HE WAS BORN?!

The only thing that saved this from being DNF-shelved was NR’s awesome-as-always way of writing and her witty, funny dialogues. That and… well, it’s in Ireland! What’s not to love about the place? In any case, I might take a long break from NR, just to make sure that the next time I come back I won’t regret it. It would be a shame, since she’s the one who made me see the beauty of romance in books…

“In my life, you are all I’ve wanted. Above all else.” – Finbar Burke ( )
1 vote Lydia_Perversius | Dec 12, 2016 |
This was hard to finish!!! Felt like it drug on and on..... And the ending wasn't as great as I wanted it to be. ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Had flashes of humor and characters whose decisions are understandable. Overall, a solid ending to the series. ( )
  Gingermama | Sep 10, 2016 |
This was good but wasn't as good as the first two. It's the conclusion of the O'Dwyer cousins finishing Cabhan. It focuses mainly on Fin and Branna. It was easy to read, pulled you into the story but didn't have much action. It was more about trying to figure out what to do to end Cabhan and Fin and Branna getting together after many years. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Voor Kat, een van de helderste lichten in mijn leven
How far away the stars seem.
and how far is our first kiss,
and, ah, how old is my heart.

WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
It will have blood; they say,
blood will have blood.

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts comes a trilogy about the land we’re drawn to, the family we learn to cherish, and the people we long to love…

Book Three of The Cousins O’Dwyer Trilogy
Blood Magick

County Mayo is rich in the traditions of Ireland, legends that Branna O’Dwyer fully embraces in her life and in her work as the proprietor of The Dark Witch shop, which carries soaps, lotions, and candles for tourists, made with Branna’s special touch.

Branna’s strength and selflessness hold together a close circle of friends and family—along with their horses and hawks and her beloved hound. But there’s a single missing link in the chain of her life: love…

She had it once—for a moment—with Finbar Burke, but a shared future is forbidden by history and blood. Which is why Fin has spent his life traveling the world to fill the abyss left in him by Branna, focusing on work rather than passion.

Branna and Fin’s relationship offers them both comfort and torment. And though they succumb to the heat between them, there can be no promises for tomorrow. A storm of shadows threatens everything that their circle holds dear. It will be Fin’s power, loyalty, and heart that will make all the difference in an age-old battle between the bonds that hold their friends together and the evil that has haunted their families for centuries.

Don’t miss the first two books in the Cousins O’Dwyer Trilogy
Dark Witch
and
Shadow Spell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:50 -0400)

"County Mayo is rich in the traditions of Ireland, legends that Branna O'Dwyer fully embraces in her life and in her work as the proprietor of The Dark Witch shop, which carries soaps, lotions, and candles for tourists, made with Branna's special touch. Branna's strength and selflessness hold together a close circle of friends and family--along with their horses and hawks and her beloved hound. But there's a single missing link in the chain of her life: love... She had it once--for a moment--with Finbar Burke, but a shared future is forbidden by history and blood. Which is why Fin has spent his life traveling the world to fill the abyss left in him by Branna, focusing on work rather than passion. Branna and Fin's relationship offers them both comfort and torment. And though they succumb to the heat between them, there can be no promises for tomorrow. A storm of shadows threatens everything that their circle holds dear. It will be Fin's power, loyalty, and heart that will make all the difference in an age-old battle between the bonds that hold their friends together and the evil that has haunted their families for centuries"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,538,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible