Survivor by Lesley Pearse

Survivor

by Lesley Pearse

Series: Belle (3)

212495,208 (4)None

I was left with an overwhelming feeling of disappointment with this book. The first two in the Belle series were a little bit gritty and realistic and not at all what I expected from Lesley Pearse. This, unfortunately, did not follow suit.
From the beginning, I could not get on with the main character Mariette as she was very 'whiney' and unlikeable. This did not change for quite a lot of the book but, just as I was starting to like her, the whole narrative got very repetitive - the amount of times that she spoke of herself as being self centred when she was young was ridiculous and it seemed as though Lesley Pearse was trying to drag the book out by re-introducing various suitors for her in improbable scenarios.
The ending is sickly sweet and a little too perfect for my liking...whole thing left me in sugar shock and overall has discoloured the whole trilogy. ( )
  SineadB | Dec 7, 2015 |
Survivor is the third in a trilogy of books featuring Belle, although it mainly focuses on her daughter, Mariette, who is as strong-willed and feisty as her mother. In danger of going off the rails in the sleepy New Zealand town where she lives, Mariette is sent to England to live with family friends. She finds herself trapped there when the Second World War breaks out but her experiences turn out to be the making of her.

I have loved all of Lesley Pearse's books and this is no exception. I absolutely love every minute I spend reading them and know she can be relied on to write a thumping good tale. Survivor contains many twists and turns in Mariette's life and I never knew where the story would take me next. Fantastic and eagerly awaiting this author's next book. ( )
  nicx27 | May 13, 2014 |

Mariette Carrera is a defiant and strong-willed seventeen-year-old. Her doting parents, Belle and Etienne, fear for her reputation in their small, gossipy New Zealand hometown. So, with the world on the brink of war, Mari leaves home on the SS Rimutaka, bound for London. Armed with the freedom she's longs for since childhood, Mari quickly falls for Morgan, the handsome cockney steward on board ship. But once she reaches London, there are other temptations. As London endures the blitz, Mari's new life is blown apart. Forced from her loving new home, she ends up alone in the East End, worlds away from the glamorous London she knows. But there, amidst the destruction and despair, she finds the chance to make a difference. The only way that Mari can survive this war is to fight, with all the strength, selflessness and compassion with her and only then will she find true happiness.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,608,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible