Attack the Geek: A Ree Reyes Side-Quest by…

Attack the Geek: A Ree Reyes Side-Quest

by Michael R. Underwood

Very fun, action-packed continuation of the characters from GEEKOMANCY and CELEBROMANCY. Also an excellent set-up of a few plots and potentials for the next Ree Reyes novel.

I would recommend reading GEEKOMANCY before you read this, or you'll be missing very crucial underpinnings of this novella's twists and plot points.

Far more action-packed than I was expecting, but in a good way that helped add rather than subtract anything from characters. ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
Want A wild ride on the geek side ? Here it is, comics, card games, movies, steampunk and all their powers and weapons. I was a happy giggling fangirl at all the pop culture references. A fun spirited magical read.
This was my first look at the series I did not realize it was not the first book. I was a bit lost in the beginning and nearly quit but a light saber pulled me back and I started ti really enjoy the ride. What to do when the bar you are attacked at work,Grognard's Grog and Games by sewer gnomes ? Pull out all the magic you can get from anywhere you can and run.
I plan on getting the first books in this fun series to find out what I missed. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Much more substantial than I was expecting from a tie-in "novella." Stands up very well next to the other two books in the series, and now I can't wait for Hexomancy to come out. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for this review. Since I reviewed an uncorrected proof, I won't comment on the formatting. I assume this will be fixed later on. My review is based solely on the content of the book. I thought this book was confusing. It was an interesting premise, that items like D&D, Magic Cards, and other fictional game items could come to life. I've read enough fantasy/YA/sci-fi novels not to question the basic premise of the novel. The execution of the story, though was confusing. At the beginning, some of the characters were given power ratings, just like role-playing games. However, this didn't seem to come into play in the rest of the novel. Point of view kept switching for no reason from one person to another. There were some interesting plot twists, but I kept scratching my head wondering why something happened, or who this was. This is apparently part of a series, so maybe some of it will be explained later. I thought the novel could have been improved by making it a 1st person novel, told from Rae's perspective, who is apparently the central character in the novel. Otherwise, I couldn't recommend it. ( )
  jmcgarry2011 | May 9, 2014 |
Games have progress but no plot. Game heroes do not have character, they have rules. Game heroes develop skills but not depth. Books written by gamers impersonate games, not literature.

"Attack the Geek" is one attack on one bar on one evening in one long take. We are given a few paragraphs of "what has come before" at the beginning and a jolting change-of-pace setup for the follow-on book at the end. In between, a half-dozen people use their geekomancy (the ability to draw arcane powers from art) to zap hordes of gnomes etc. who are trying to get in the door. That's it. Page after page after page. The fun of trying to identify the pop culture refs wears off pretty quickly.

This series will appeal only to a small subgroup of urban fantasy readers and I am not a member of that group.

The cover artist did not read the book. Rees should be dressed all in black for working in the bar.

It is clear that Mr. Underwood does not know Elric.

I received an advance review copy of "Attack the Geek" by Michael R. Underwood (Pocket Star Kindle Edition) through NetGalley.com.

Update note: It is clear to me now that geekomancy is Brent Weeks' lux drafting using art instead of light. ( )
  Dokfintong | Apr 16, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,718,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible