Sally Heathcote: Suffragette by Mary M.…

Sally Heathcote: Suffragette (2014)

by Mary M. Talbot, Kate Charlesworth (Illustrator), Bryan Talbot

English (3)  Spanish (1)  All (4)
I’ll admit that at the beginning of this graphic novel, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be blown away. However, by the time I reached the end I could not stop thinking about it! Being a graphic novel, I was able to finish this in one sitting and in such a short time I’m still haunted by the last few pages and the story that unfolded about women’s suffrage in England at the turn of the twentieth century. Sally Heathcote Suffragette accounts actual events and the majority of the characters were real people so it read more like a historical account than a historical fiction. I highly recommend this graphic novel to anyone interested in history and women’s rights, especially if you are a young lady who has recently become of voting age.

Personally, this graphic novel made me so appreciative that I live in a time where I don’t have to worry about having rights and representation. Without question, I am lucky enough to live in a country where I have not felt disadvantaged or oppressed as a woman, and I owe it all to women like the ones we find in this graphic novel. They fought for us, were imprisoned for us, and died for us so we could have the right to vote and the right to be recognized as human beings equal to our male counterparts. I have this novel to thank for allowing me to appreciate how extreme the struggle truly was for women at the beginning of the twentieth century.

The reason I knocked off half a teacup is because, as I said at the beginning of this review, it didn’t grab me right away. The art style is interesting, but I found that a lot of the characters looked the same and there were a lot that I got mixed up. It was also a little jumpy in places so it was a tiny bit hard to follow for me at the beginning. It was definitely one of those reads that I didn’t realize I loved until I read the last line and closed the book. THAT LAST LINE. It hit me so hard I tossed and turned all night thinking about it. It will definitely stay with me for a long time.

As far as graphic novels go, this one is certainly a gem, particularly if you like historical or biographical graphic novels, or if you are passionate about women’s rights. All women should remember the work that our ancestors have done for us to give us the privileged lives we live today, and should realize that women had it much worse than some could imagine. We now have the vote, we now have a voice, and we have rights, all thanks to our ladies of yesterday. And you can read all about these courageous women in this wonderful graphic novel! ( )
  ceecee83 | Jul 17, 2016 |

Following up from the Talbots' brilliant biography of Lucia Joyce, this excellent graphic story takes a close look at the suffragette movement, through the person of Sally Heathcote, a red-haired Northern girl who moves to London and becomes a core activist, imprisoned and force-fed through a hunger srike, growing up quickly in brutal political circumstances. Dangerfield brings in the suffragettes as just one of the destabilising factors for the Asquith government in The Strange Death of Liberal England; I hadn't realised just how strong the commitment to political violence was from an early stage, much more so than the Irish activists of either side at that particular time; nor was I aware of the full brutality of the British state's reaction to those who only wanted an equal say in its governance. Talbot tells a compelling story, but is also transparent about where she has egged the pudding; I knew so little about the period that I turned to the endnotes with some excitement to find out if Sally Heathcote was a real historical figure or not. (And I usually hate endnotes with a deep deep loathing.) The last line, delivered to a dying Sally in 1969 by her granddaughter, is a real emotional kicker. Strongly recommended. ( )
  nwhyte | Sep 12, 2015 |
This was a quick read. It helped that I already know aspects of the history of women's suffrage. There are notes fleshing out the events in the novel, but the author recommends reading the book through first, to allow the story to flow, before referring to the notes. I found the story a little simplistic at times, but it covered the main ground fairly well. The author's sympathies lie with Emmeline Pethick and her husband Fred Lawrence, and she spares no censure for the path taken by Emmeline and Christabel Pankhurst. ( )
  missizicks | Dec 29, 2014 |

Mary M. Talbotprimary authorall editionscalculated
Charlesworth, KateIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Talbot, Bryanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
A maiming subserviency had for ages held the spirit of the mass of women in thrall. The militant suffrage movement broke that thraldom... They laughed at danger.
Emmeline Pethick-Lawrence
To our niece, Emma Atherton - stay radical!
Mary and Bryan Talbot
For Dianne Barry, for endless patience and support.
Kate Charlesworth
Your Honour, when apprehended, the defendant, Miss Helen Millar Craggs of Hampstead, was found to have the following items in her possession...

Sally Heathcote: Suffragette is a gripping inside story of the campaign for the vote. A tale of loyalty, love and courage, set against a vividly realized backdrop of Edwardian Britain, it follows the fortunes of a maid-of-all-work swept up in the feminist militancy of the era.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,335,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible