I Am Jazz by Jessica Herthel

I Am Jazz

by Jessica Herthel

Other authors: Jazz Jennings (Author)

English (47)  Spanish (1)  All (48)
This book is based off of a true story about Jazz Jennings. Jazz always knew she was a girl in a boy's body. She loved dressing as a girl and loved the color pink even more. Everyone around her is very confused by her actions, so her parents decide to bring her to the doctor to see "what's wrong". The doctor informs her parents that Jazz is transgender, and that she was born that way. This book is really cool because it's based off of Jazz's real-life so it's very genuine. The story is told in a simple, and clear, way so that young readers can understand what is going on. I think this book is very informative and should be introduced to children because this isn't a topic we should be hiding anymore. Transgender people are just as relevant and should have a voice that is heard in the classroom! ( )
  aquinn | Apr 23, 2018 |
Jazz tells her story of having "a girl brain but a boy body" in this lovely picture book that starts with the words in the title as an introduction: "I am Jazz!" She talks about her favorite colors, activities, and her friends before beginning to explain that she is transgender, so it's all very accessible and approachable. Her parents first made her dress in boy clothes, but once a doctor diagnosed her, her parents were supportive: "We understand now. Be who you are. We love you no matter what." Jazz's boy name is not revealed, but there are photos at the back of the book, along with information about TransKids Purple Rainbow Foundation. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 9, 2018 |
This book leads you through the childhood of Jazz, a transgender. She is learning that she was born with a girl brain, but a boys body. She talks about how much of a struggle it is to be accepted in school for who she is.
Age- 3-5
Source- Pierce College Fort Steilacoom Library
  JodieHarris | Mar 6, 2018 |
This book helps explain to children those kids who choose to identify as transgender or not. Jazz was born a boy but loved wearing pink and dressing up as a mermaid and didn't feel like herself in boys' clothing. The story is told in a simple and clear way without being too overwhelming as this is a sensitive subject for some but something that needs to be addressed in our modern culture.
age 3-5
Resource: Pierce College Library
  NicoleMcDowell | Mar 5, 2018 |
simple way of explaining a transgender ( )
  lizzyzoch | Mar 3, 2018 |

Jessica Herthelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jennings, JazzAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
McNicholas, ShelaghIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Sasha Imelia, Naomi Rose, and Presley Jane: I lovey ou no matter what.
--J.H.
This book is dedicated to my family for all of their unconditional love and support, and to couragous trans youth all over the world.
--J.J.
For my deal Uncle John, with all my love
--S.M.
I am Jazz!

The story of a transgender child based on the real-life experience of Jazz Jennings, who has become a spokesperson for transkids everywhere

"This is an essential tool for parents and teachers to share with children whether those kids identify as trans or not. I wish I had had a book like this when I was a kid struggling with gender identity questions. I found it deeply moving in its simplicity and honesty."—Laverne Cox (who plays Sophia in “Orange Is the New Black”)

From the time she was two years old, Jazz knew that she had a girl's brain in a boy's body. She loved pink and dressing up as a mermaid and didn't feel like herself in boys' clothing. This confused her family, until they took her to a doctor who said that Jazz was transgender and that she was born that way. Jazz's story is based on her real-life experience and she tells it in a simple, clear way that will be appreciated by picture book readers, their parents, and teachers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:14 -0400)

Presents the story of a transgender child who traces her early awareness that she is a girl in spite of male anatomy and the acceptance she finds through a wise doctor who explains her natural transgender status.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,376,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible