The Long Goodbye (Johnson Family Chronicles)…

The Long Goodbye (Johnson Family Chronicles)

by James Robinson Jr.

431,664,912 (4.33)None

This was a great light hearted read that made me chuckle right from the beginning as it follows the antics of a family attending a close friends wedding.

The story centres around Samuel and his wife Tabitha, Samuel's parents Maxine and Samuel Snr, not forgetting about good old Uncle Ray. I'm sure every family must have an Uncle Ray with his loud, life and soul of the party ways. The wedding they are attending is for the daughter of Maxine's closest friend Gail. Although there is already tension in the air before the wedding has even started as the previous wedding they attended for Gail's other daughter ended up with the bride running off with her lover before the 'I do' part.

All in not well behind the scenes of this family trip though as feelings of sadness, lack of love and affection is multiplied by drink, leading to crazy events and creating temptation.

I loved the humor throughout the story, well what I took as humor, maybe I was just enjoying the book too much! The author's writing had the story flowing really well, it was down to earth almost familiar in some areas in the way families engage and react to each other.

There are some swear words in the story that I did feel were unnecessary but it didn't really affect the overall read.

A quick, enjoyable read that was a great tonic, I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. I feel that there is much more to come with this family. Looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Mar 17, 2014 |
The Long Goodbye by James Robinson Jr starts off with the chase and it got me going – actually my heart was racing possibly faster than Samuel’s throughout the scene with the dog… But, he had to be at St Mary’s Church in a rush. Parking his car a few blocks away brought him a pack of problems he really didn’t need or wanted.

Feeling all sweaty and ruffled up, Samuel finally makes it at church where Tabitha tells him that the service was delayed. At this moment, he looks at his wife – beautiful & stylish, *sigh* When asked what happened; Samuel decided to talk about it later.

Maxine was possibly the highlight at the church – whatever she wore, said and sang seemed to be annoying or redundant. Ah well. In my book, there is such a thing called freedom of speech. She is thinking of when she was a nurse and meets an all American football star. A lot was said on Samuel Sr but Maxine felt that it was all talk.

When BJ, the father of the bride, kissed his wife’s hand; Maxine felt some jealousy feeling that this kind of true love was missing from her marriage. **oh no**

At the sight of Kat, CiCi’s maid of honor’s low décolleté and stylish gown, Samuel gets “infatuated” Kat (Katrina Alexander) is into fashion and extends an invitation. Sam Sr butts in and warns him. Unexpectedly, Tabitha is showing signs of jealousy. She drinks and begins to have some fun, made me laugh. Especially at the table. “plastered or wasted” Tabitha is having a good time until… she vomits or is it upchucks? This - you got to read, lol

Samuel and Kat dance. Her head on his shoulder and then, well… I’ve said too much. The end made me wonder a little – Tabitha, Samuel, a text from Kat and those damned birds! As a woman with a fertile imagination, this man is up to no good, lol.

I loved it. I recommend it.

Adriana LG ( )
  AdrianaG | Mar 15, 2014 |
I was lucky enough to receive the first in this series as well as this one. Truthfully I think the sequence should have been reversed but since they were both very short-these are actually novellas- I was able to read both in one sitting! I was left wanting to know more--much more. You can be sure I will be getting the subsequent books in this series as soon as they are written.

This family sure has its share of troubles-which nobody speaks about. Until the wedding where things that happened in the past are brought to light and futures are in doubt. ( )
  MikiHope | Mar 12, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,743,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible