Who Killed Amanda Palmer by Amanda Palmer

Who Killed Amanda Palmer

by Amanda Palmer

421,664,912 (4.75)None

I finally received this book after ordering it almost a year ago. Needless to say, I was so excited about getting the package that I might have scared the UPS man a tiny bit. The wait was worth it.

This is a beautiful coffee table-type book full of photographs of the dearly departed Amanda Palmer in various places and states of undress taken by a large variety of photographers. They are accompanied by wonderful short stories by Neil Gaiman and lyrics from Amanda Palmer's solo album. The photos are incredibly dynamic, each it's own little morbid and macabre vignette. Some of them are sad, funny, ironic, odd, beautiful, and gruesome, but all of them are unique. My favorite is of Amanda brandishing a sword triumphantly over her slaughtered, younger self.

Neil Gaiman's short stories are nothing short of genius. They go perfectly with the corresponding pictures. He utilizes different voices expertly to tell the story of a young girl with an abusive mother, a suicidal housewife, and others. The stories triggered strong responses in me. Some made me laugh out loud, but others disturbed and sickened me. It's amazing how such emotion and plot can be encompassed in so few words. The longest story is two pages, but each is like a window deep into each of Amanda Palmer's many deaths.

This awesome book is a great collaboration between two talented artists. It's a must-have for any Amanda F-ing Palmer or Neil Gaiman fan. ( )
1 vote titania86 | Aug 7, 2009 |
Amanda makes for a lovely corpse. Of course, many of the photographs are not designed to show off her beauty. One of the more interesting things about the photography in this book is how a little makeup and a change of scenery can provide a radically different impact on the reader. Sure, Amanda is "dead" in each picture, but each one is still interestingly unique. On top of that, Neil Gaiman contributes some wonderful stories to the mix. The one thing I could have done without, was the song lyrics. Although they are interesting to read on their own where I can actually concentrate on the words and understand what is being said, they lose something without their musical accompaniment. They were designed as lyrics and don't play as well when presented as poetry alone. Still, a must read for Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman fans. ( )
3 vote SatansParakeet | Jul 23, 2009 |
This work contains editions that might be the book or the CD. Please don't combine with either of them. If your book or CD is in this work, please add some identifying information, so your copy can be added to the proper work. Thank you!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,821,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible