Unbinding by Eileen Wilks

Unbinding

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (11)

Kai and Nathan are still in San Diego while Kai tries to heal some of the damage caused by the rampaging magical dagger in the last book

But it’s soon clear that destroying a magical artefact imbued by a god of chaos has ramifications. They may have foiled his plans, but the god of chaos is now out and he may be dead but he is powerful and looking to change that

All the while Kai still has decide what she wants to do with her life. She loves Nathan and she has a unique powerful talent the elves can help develop – but does she want to be the human in the Court of Winter, separated from her friends, divided from her culture and often derided by the oh-so-superior elves?

Hmmmmmmm

Definitely hmmmmmm.

This is my brain on this story:

Brain 1: It’s a book without Lily and Rule. This is going to be interesting because we’re going to get to see this world through a different lens. We’re going to see a different mind set and excellent part of the world setting that Lily would otherwise not notice. This is an excellent way to open up this world when we’ve excellently established Lily is the central protagonist so it isn’t a distraction

Brain 2: But but but, Lily was established as protagonist because she’s super awesome and amazing. And I’ve had several books of back stories to make me not only be invested in Lily but be thoroughly cheering her every move. Who is this Kai and Nathan and why do I care? They’ve had, what, one short story and a couple of cameo appearances? I am not invested enough in this people for them to displace my awesome Lily. They’re far too external to the main plot, the main battle etc to be really relevant to the rest of the series. It feels more like a spin off series – hey an awesome spin off series –but now these people are stood in Lily’s space. I don’t know half of these people We keep getting revelations and shocks about these people that completely miss because I feel like I’m supposed to have read 4 other books to actually know who they are

Brain 1: But this let’s us examine so much of the world building is accessible here! Lily sees the elves as an annoying enemy and is pretty much not that involved or invested in elven culture or world building and her practicality makes her tolerate the need for Cullen’s theorising but definitely not being willing to run with it. Kai is front and centre in elven culture, sidhe realms, dramatis personae who are constantly mentioned actually appear in this book. We meet them and the depiction of elven society is awesome – we have such an awesome building of a completely alien culture, different standards and values and ethics. As well as a really really interesting take on the concept of the Fae Queen of Winter – not just a queen of cold, but a queen of hard truths and a queen of the warm winter hearth. Definitely an original take

Brain 2: but but but Lily isn’t invested in all of this because it’s not relevant. And I love the world expanding, I really do. I love the world setting. I love expanded world setting. I love how Kai brings her own views and conflicts to this huge world setting. But we already had one book where a new big bad muscled in on the whole storyline and now we have another one? Sure there’s more than one thing happening in this world – but while Rule and the werewolves and Lily are dealing with their enemy perhaps undead elven gods of chaos can go get their little party together in a city other than San Diego. What is the enemy and her minions actually doing while we have a hiatus anyway?

So I’m left thinking I loved loved loved this book and would also be a really awesome… but also feel this excellent world has reached a point where branching into spin off series would be better arcs than protagonist shifting when the protagonists have such disparate goals. If Kai and Nathan and Lily and Rule were actually aiming at goals that were closer together then they would work as shifting protagonists. But the only real reason Kai and Nathan are there is because a random occurrence pulled them in and there was a brief coinciding of goals with Lily and Rule

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 3, 2017 |
This turned out to be my least favorite of the series. I love the characters of Kai and Nathan. Dell is an intriguing magical creature, a chameleon who is tightly bonded to Kai and serves as her familiar. The plot dragged so badly I kept putting the book down. It took almost a week to slog through all the descriptive type dialogue and boring explanations of "what to do" and "why this does that." It felt like even the characters were sidetracked and didn't know what to do next since they "talked" about what was happening until I just didn't care anymore. I hope Wilks rallies with the next book as I'm frustrated with this type of writing. She's created an exceptional world and fantastic characters. She just needs to keep it simple sometimes. Can't give this one more than 2 stars. ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Lily and Rule are off on their honeymoon. Kai and Nathan are in town and they help with a dead elf god that is causing problems. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I love the world and characters that the author has built with this series and have highly enjoyed the majority of the books. But I have to say this one was more difficult to get through than the others.

The magical theory has been really technical—to the point that it makes it sound like the author knows what she’s talking about—for many of the books now. That’s good up to a point. In the last couple of books it’s taken up too much real estate and in this one in particular, I felt like we were drowning in it. I find it difficult to maintain my interest and the book dragged for me because of it.

I probably wouldn’t have had as much of an issue if the story revolved around Lily and Rule. I like the insertion of Kai and Nathan, but Lily and Rule are, to me, the heart of the series.

Do not start with this book or even read this if you’ve skipped the last book or two. You’ll be lost. ( )
  dearheart | Feb 20, 2015 |
This story shifts focus from Lily Yu and Rule and concentrates on Kai Tallman Michalski and her lover Nathan who happens to be a former hellhound and a servant of the Winter Queen. Having spent some time in faerie, Kai and Nathan are back on Earth. Kai is trying to decided if she should pledge herself to the Winter Queen too.

Kai has a rare Gift. She is a mindhealer. That gift is particularly handy when a mad god of chaos decides that he wants to gather a whole new bunch of human worshipers. Kai, Nathan, the lupi and the FBI are all kept busy as the god begins kidnapping humans in pairs and sowing chaos in multiple places in the San Diego area.

Things get even more difficult for Kai when Nathan, Benedict and Cullen and kidnapped and taken to the godhead. Kai is sick with worry and left alone on Earth to figure out what the god wants and how he can be stopped. Meanwhile, Nathan is trying to figure out how he can manage to kill the god now that they are in the same world. This is complicated by the fact that the god has pitted Nathan and Benedict in a fight to the death with the fates of their ladies as the prize.

The story is filled with action and deals with of lot of magic. It had, perhaps, more explanations of magic than I cared about or could understand. The strength of the characters carried me through some of the more complex bits. Wilks has a talent for making characters that I can and do care about.

Fans of this series won't want to miss this episode. ( )
  kmartin802 | Oct 25, 2014 |

Eileen Wilksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, GeorgeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauro, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425263371, Mass Market Paperback)

In the newest Novel of the Lupi, the human and elven worlds are both about to come under attack…

After questing through the sidhe realms with her ex-hellhound lover, Nathan, Kai Tallman Michalski has finally returned home. But she knows Nathan will eventually be called back to serve his queen—and Kai will have to decide whether to enter her majesty’s service as well. Sure, the job comes with great bennies, but there’s one big downside: she would have to swear absolute fealty to the Queen of Winter.

For now, though, Kai is glad to be home, and glad that Nathan completed his mission for his queen with surprising ease. But what seemed to be a quick conclusion turns out to be anything but. The two of them helped thwart the sidhe god of chaos—and he is not happy about that. He’s got plans for them. Plans, too, for the sidhe who killed him some three millennia ago. Nor has he abandoned his plans for Earth, as they learn when chaos begins bursting out all over...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:25 -0400)

"In the newest Novel of the Lupi, the human and elven worlds are both about to come under attack... After questing through the sidhe realms with her ex-hellhound lover, Nathan, Kai Tallman Michalski has finally returned home. But she knows Nathan will eventually be called back to serve his Queen--and Kai will have to decide whether to enter her majesty's service as well. Sure, the job comes with great bennies, but there's one big downside: she would have to swear absolute fealty to the Queen of Winter. For now, though, Kai is glad to be home, and glad that Nathan completed his mission for his Queen with surprising ease. But what seemed to be a quick conclusion turns out to be anything but. The two of them helped thwart the sidhe god of chaos--and he is not happy about that. He's got plans for them. Plans, too, for the sidhe who killed him some three millennia ago. Nor has he abandoned his plans for Earth, as they learn when chaos begins bursting out all over."--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,154,827 books! | Top bar: Always visible