Broken by Annie Jocoby

Well I tried with this one, but I am at odds with the writing style. This is my second endeavor by this author, the first being [b:Exposure|24844065|Exposure (Exposure, #1)|Annie Jocoby|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1423163138s/24844065.jpg|44155344]. I ended up feeling similar regarding both attempts. I couldn't connect with the characters, and they seemed very immature to me for what their stations in life were supposed to be.

I will start with Scotty, this tortured heroine who has a drunk for a mother and was sexually abused by a foster father. This is a horrible situation... but I never really felt for Scotty. There was not much to trigger any emotion in me. I felt like she was a perma-victim and whiny and needed a backbone. Normally with a tortured heroine, I get some kind of emotional connection. But I got not an iota of empathy here.

Moving on to Nick... he utterly confused me. He was all about Ryan and Iris - referring to these people and their life and how he loved them like I was supposed to know who they are. Turns out - this is a spinoff of the Illusions series (which was Ryan and Iris' story). I have not read that series and would have liked to have known that I needed to read it first. This Broken series does not seem to be a standalone to me because of the constant referencing to the other people. Nick also started talking about Rielle and his girls somewhere after 25% and I was like - Who? Turns out he has an ex-wife and two daughters. That must have also been part of the original series because we got no backstory there. Nick is a shallow d-bag. He is very immature for someone who is supposed to be a renowned rich architect. I didn't like his manwhore behavior... and it didn't make sense that he had this instalove for the perma-victim in Scotty.

Nothing fit to me. This author is super nice so I hate that I can't get down with the writing style. It may be just me... my friend Deanna likes this author and her stories. But I have not been able to make myself finish one. DNF at 38%. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible