All the Things You Are by Declan Hughes

All the Things You Are

by Declan Hughes

Imagine coming home to your house expecting to be greeted by your husband and your children. Instead, the house is empty, no family no furniture’s and the dog lies dead in the garden. That is what Claire Taylor finds when she comes home after a week in Chicago. Suddenly her life has turned upside done, but that is just the start.

Something happened thirty-five years ago, that changed four boys and a little girls’ life, something bad. And the past that the boys tried to forget will not be forgotten so much longer.

This book by Declan Hughes made me think about books by Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay in the way everything wasn’t the way one expected and because of all the twist and turns in the story. It was an interesting story with an explosive ending, but in the end, the twist and turning weren't all that surprising. Nothing in the book made me go all “what the hell did that come from” when something was reviled it was more of a feeling of “of course”. I would have liked a story more complex, so complex that you can’t stop reading to find out what happens next. Not that the book is boring, it was a good read. I just never really got that “I-can’t-put-the-book-away-feeling”…

There was one other thing that bothered me with the books; the unknown narrator. Suddenly in the book the narrator turn from one of the character to an unknown person and it really irked me. It really destroyed the flow of the story.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |

This book by Declan Hughes made me think about books by Harlan Coben and Linwood Barclay in the way everything wasn’t the way one expected and because of all the twist and turns in the story. It was an interesting story with an explosive ending, but in the end the twist and turning weren't all that surprising. Nothing in the book made me go all “what the hell did that come from” when something was reviled it was more of a feeling of “of course”. I would have liked a story more complex, so complex that you can’t stop reading to find out what happens next. Not that the book is boring, it was a good read. I just never really got that “I-can’t-put-the-book-away-feeling”…

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  | Feb 9, 2016 | edit |

When her husband and two daughters disappear, housewife Clare Taylor discovers that her ordinary domestic life has been built on a lie.

About to turn forty, her youthful dreams of becoming an actress abandoned, there's no doubt in her mind that suburban wife and mother-of-two Clare Taylor has settled. A wild week in Chicago may have shaken things up a bit, but as she turns her key in her Madison, Wisconsin home on the eve of Hallowe'en, she knows that what happened with her ex was nothing more than a distraction, that this is where her life is. Except it's all gone. The furniture gone, the house stripped, her husband Danny, her daughters, all gone; no message; no note, nothing. Outside in the dark, searching for a sign, she steps in one: the eviscerated body of the family dog. By dawn next morning, her supposedly mortgage-free home has been foreclosed against, one of Danny's childhood friends lies dead in her backyard, and Clare is caught up in a nightmare that began with her husband on Hallowe'en night, 1976. A nightmare that reaches its terrifying climax thirty-five years later.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:07 -0400)

Clare Taylor arrives home after a wild week in Chicago to discover that the house has been stripped bare and there's no sign of her husband and two daughters. By dawn next morning, her house has been foreclosed against, there's a dead body in her backyard, and Clare is caught up in a nightmare that began with her husband on Hallowe'en night, 1976.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible