Deadly Fantasies by Kelly Miller

Deadly Fantasies

by Kelly Miller

142683,257 (4)None

What do you do when one that is close to you admits to murder? If you’re a detective, can you stay impartial while you investigate? Dr. Nina Grace had been the ‘shrink’ for many Tampa police officers. Detective Kate Springer had to spend a few weeks with the doctor after she had shot a suspect in a kidnapping case. Kate managed to work through many issues of her own with Dr. Grace and knew in her heart that Nina Grace couldn’t have committed this hideous murderous act on her husband. Detective Patrick Jessup is Kate’s partner. Kate doesn’t want to hold back information from him, but at the same time realizes that if she were to express Dr. Grace perceived confession, the case would only be focused upon her.

Although this novel is the second in the Detective Kate Springer series, it can be read on its own. The first in the series was Dead Like Me. The story was told in first person narrative by Kate. I liked the character of Kate and her friendship and camaraderie with her partner. The only situation that wasn’t resolved at the end was the riff Kate caused between herself and her best friend, Lucy James, who was also the crime scene tech. The story played out similarly to episodes of Law & Order. It’s hard to believe this is only Kelly Miller’s second novel. She writes with the finesse of an established author. Her pacing of the story and character development is skillfully done. I rated Deadly Fantasies 4 out of 5.

http://www.fictionzeal.com/deadly-fantasies-detective-kate-springer-2-kelly-mill... ( )
  FictionZeal | Aug 31, 2014 |
Finished Deadly Fantasies (Detective Kate Springer 02) by Kelly Miller
Completed 4/14/14
3.5 of 5 stars

I was sent this book by the author for my honest review.

This book revolves around Kate, a homicide detective in Tampa Fl. In the middle of the night, she gets a call from an acquaintance who states she may have killed her husband. Kate arrives at a bloody crime scene and an investigation begins.

This book did grab me from the beginning. I really liked the storyline, the murder to solve and the investigation the most. It was a good simple story that was really easy to read and moved quickly to get through. Everything came together in a nicely wrapped up box.

Setting = A+
Plot = A+
Conflict = A+

The characters, I didn't warm up to as much. I had definite issues with Kate who is selfish. whiny and insecure. Her partner Patrick Jessup was just as bad. I didn't feel any connection to the characters and disliked them. Not having read the first book, I didn't know much back story but there was enough that was alluded to or touched on that I got a general idea. The story line was enough to keep me enjoying the book despite the characters many flaws.

Characters = D

My only other issue with this book was the underlining theme of the book, which though never mentioned as such, revolves around BDSM. This is a personal opinion, and should be taken as such. As one who reads, understands and accepts BDSM, I didn't like the negative undertones surrounding the BDSM aspects. It's clear that the characters felt all aspects of "Kink" are wrong, to not be talked about and I felt that because the villain(s) were involved in BDSM activities, all of BDSM was thrown into a negative light. Obviously, not everyone is going to have the same opinion on this very touchy subject, so many people will be fine with the negative aspect of it, I personally didn't like it but it didn't distract too much from the overall book.

Theme = B

On a whole, I really enjoyed the book and I would recommend it to others. ( )
  Karsyn | May 21, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,371,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible