On The Inside by Kim Cano

On The Inside

by Kim Cano

Occasionally a book comes along that reaches off the pages and takes on a life of its own. “On the Inside” is one of those books.

Kim Cano has reached in to the heart of a women’s prison and captured the essence of how the women live, the relationships that form and the interaction with the different staff members. The challenges faced by family members and the loved ones of prisoners are accurately portrayed. The hurt, the anger and the avoidance is very honest. Ms. Cano has written such honest characters and situations and exhibits a great understanding a love for her sister-in-law on the inside. Every inmate should be so loved and understood!

“On the Inside” is a book that will reach inside you, twist your gut and break your heart. I highly recommend Kim Cano's "On the Inside".

~Patricia, Room With Books~ © Jan 16, 2014
  roomwithbooks | Aug 31, 2015 |
Lakeisha the prison guard who reads correspondence for prisoners and people on the outside takes a liking to Kristin's letters. The story is told from this perspective.

From what I know of prisons (which isn't much) this story is true to life. It is sad to see the inmates's lives tied forever to the system, but it is exciting to see some of them grow.

I recommend this book. ( )
  philanthropicHR | Apr 1, 2014 |
I was intrigued and looking forward to reading this book as it's not the normal story line I tend to read, what a sheer delight this story was, I truly didn't expect it to grab my attention the way it did. Every single spare moment I had found me picking up the book to to read more and follow the characters story, I loved it.

The authors superb writing led me quickly and easily into connecting with the characters in the story. The main character is Kristen, a mother of two boys, frustrated with her life turned to drink and started to steal money from the family firm she worked for. At first she stole small amounts but eventually led to stealing a total of half a million dollars with the end result being sentanced for 17 years in a woman's prison. The only thing that kept her going at the beginning was the kind and loving letters she receives from her sister-in-law Olivia keeping her up to date on the life outside, her sons were both too young, her husband too angry and her parents simply too busy. Kristin starts to realise what she has lost and you follow her emotional growth of character through her activities inside and her bond with the other cellmates.

Each cellmate has their own storyline that I strangely found myself understanding why they had found their way behind bars, my general view tends to be that people in prison are there because they deserve to be without giving a second thought about the background of their crime, this certainly made my question that. I loved each and every character and the interactions and stories that followed them, reading about the emotions that prisoners have and the sadness when they lose their cellmates. I find myself wanting to say so much more about them but that would really spoil the whole book for you to read and enjoy yourself.

One character I really liked to read about was Lakeisha, a prison officer who spent her days sorting through the inmates mail, checking for any contraband, as she merrily enjoys reading about the soap opera of the inmates lives and how she gets emotionally connected herself.

There was plenty of emotion in the story, some heartbreak, some 'oh no' moments and some joyful times. Some intimate scenes are also included in the story for those that may be offended. I have to be honest and say that I actually held off reading the last three chapters of the book because I simply did not want the book to end, that was just how much I was enjoying it. Eventually Kristin's sentence comes to an end and I found a couple of happy tears in my eyes reading the end of book.

Kim Cano is a truly talented author that I will absolutely be following from now on. I applaud her for her bravery on tackling the subject so close to her heart, based on her own family tragedy and find myself wondering if she knows just how much of a difference she is making to her sister in laws life ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Mar 17, 2014 |
Have you ever been curious about life inside a prison? I know, not a typical question you expect to get every day, but take a moment and think about it. Sure, some people in prison have done horrible things. Some of them are horrible people. But sometimes, they are people that have made mistakes. White collar criminals.
On the Inside follows the stay of one such white collar criminal as she comes to terms with what her actions have caused. We are also introduced to the women who make the prison run. In particular, we follow the ups and downs of the poor woman who is tasked with reading each prisoner’s letter before they get to their final destination. This is a job I do not envy!
Cano weaves the tales of the prisoners in a way that you want to know how their lives turn out. You are rooting for even some of the worst offenders to come to their senses and see the light. ( )
  AGlutenFreeMom | Mar 12, 2014 |

I recommend this book.

After having committed a white collar crime, Kristen begins 17 years in prison, leaving her husband and sons behind and trying to survive on the inside.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,456,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible