Beach Plum Island by Holly Robinson

Beach Plum Island

by Holly Robinson

beach read. women's fiction. three sisters find out they have a brother after their father's death. they all deal with a lot of different emotions, fall in love, and strengthen their relationships with one another. ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | May 1, 2015 |
Beach Plum Island by Holly Robinson is about family ties, blended families and the trials they go through to become one loving family, the loss of parents, and family secrets.
When Ava Barrett’s father dies, she convinces her sister Elaine to come to his funeral where they both will have to face his wife, their stepmother. Elaine still resents her father leaving their mother to marry Katy and is not afraid to show it. She directs her anger at Ava for including Gigi, their half-sister, in the family. Their father told Ava and Gigi to find their brother and tell him the truth. Ava was confused because she didn’t have a brother. What truth was she to tell him? While trying to solve this mysterious directive of their father, Ava, Elaine, and Gigi have a Herculean task before them, made more difficult by guilt and secrets of Ava and Elaine. What will they find in the end? Can they become one happy family?
Holly Robinson’s vivid descriptions of Boston, Beach Plum Island, and surrounding areas transport you to the setting of the book. Her characters are complex and well developed, involving you deeply in their struggles, their lives, and their loves. I loved every single one of them.
This is perhaps one of the best novels I have ever read. I could have finished it in one sitting, but as I neared the half-way mark, I was already starting to mourn the end of the story. I wanted it to go on. I started to read just a chapter at a sitting trying to stretch it out. I didn’t want it to come to the end.
This is an excellent read anytime and anywhere, but you will surely want to tuck it in your beach bag for a lazy summer day. I give Beach Plum Island and Holly Robinson five stars!
  Macjam47 | May 11, 2014 |
Ava and Elaine's father dies. Prior to his death, their fatehr tells Ava to thell her brother that he is sorry. Ava does not think much about it until her half sister, Gigi brings this up. Ava did not know she had a brother. Elaine is bitter towards her father's new wife and her half sister. However all three sisters pull together to honor their father's last wishes.

So Ava and Elaine's family relationship is kind of dysfunctional but than again what family is not without their problems. I had a love/hate relationship with both Elaine and Ava. On one hand I loved her wild ways but on the other hand I did not care for all of her complaining. Even if I could understand where her feelings were coming from. I did not see any reason for Elaine to be as hateful as she was towards Gigi. However I do have to pick on Ava some too. I wanted her to have a little more of Elaine's backbone and not be such a wallflower. So you can see why I said I have a love/hate relationship with the sisters. What this truly means is that I was invested in the characters in this book as more then just characters but as people. Ava and Elaine's story drew me in. This book got better with the story of the sister's brother. Ok, I am hooked and will be on the look out for the next book by this author. Beach Plum Island is a feel, good, type of book that you should not miss! ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 12, 2014 |

“Your brother should know the truth.”

These are the last cryptic words that Ava Barrett’s father says before he dies. But Ava doesn’t have a brother, as far as she knows, so how can she tell him the truth? She dismisses the conversation and dedicates herself to bringing her family together for her father’s funeral. This is no easy task, since her sister, Elaine, has been estranged from the family and still harbors resentment against their stepmother and half-sister, Gigi. Ava, on the other hand, is a single mother who sees Gigi as a troubled teen in need of love and connection.

Ava, too, could use more love in her life and finds it where she least expects it. But the biggest surprise of all is that Gigi holds the key to the mystery surrounding her father’s dying words, and joins Ava in uncovering a secret that rapidly unravels the very fabric of their entire family…

CONVERSATION GUIDE INCLUDED

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:44 -0400)

"These are the last cryptic words that Ava Barrett's father says before he dies. But Ava doesn't have a brother, as far as she knows, so how can she tell him the truth? She dismisses the conversation and dedicates herself to bringing her family together for her father's funeral. This is no easy task since her sister, Elaine, has been estranged from the family and still harbors resentment against their stepmother and half sister, Gigi. Ava, on the other hand, is a single mother who sees Gigi as a troubled teen in need of love and connection. Ava, too, could use more love in her life and finds it where she least expects it. But the biggest surprise of all is that Gigi holds the key to the mystery surrounding her father's dying words, and she joins Ava in uncovering a secret that rapidly unravels the very fabric of their entire family..."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,426 books! | Top bar: Always visible