Down and Dirty: SEAL EXtreme Team Short…

Down and Dirty: SEAL EXtreme Team Short Story

by Kimberley Troutte

871,035,133 (3.57)None
PTSD (1) seals (1)

Despite its short length, I found Down and Dirty a compelling read. Nick has seen action in the worst of places ad times and has seen his best friend die from and IED explosion right before his eyes. As his friend was dying, he asked Nick to take care of his sister. Nick agreed. He already knew her through Skype interactions during his tour. When he arrives home, Nick finds Jill Connor has been in a debilitating car accident and rushes to the hospital to see her. What follows is a truly amazing and heartfelt story of their love and their courage, each to face their own demons alone and later together. A short story cannot give the reader the satisfaction of a fully developed and expanded plot or romance, with events often occurring so quickly they make the reader feel as if they were rushed and are incomplete. The author has managed to develop the plot and the characters well in a short time, pulling the reader into the story quickly as well as holding the reader’s attention. The story of Nick and Jill can easily be expanded into a full length novel, as there are many facets of the story the author can expand and develop. I have not read any other works by this author, but, if this story is a good example, I will be looking for them. I think anyone who enjoys a good, simple romance embedded with a healthy dose of courage and reality, will enjoy this story. I received this from Library Thing to read and review. ( )
  KMT01 | May 10, 2014 |
Too much packed into a novella length book.
The author tried to handle before the couple met, the accident, hospitalization, post hospitalization and running the marathon all in one swoop. Focusing on just one area would have made for a much better novella.
I received a copy of this book for free from the author. ( )
  nancynova | Apr 26, 2014 |
If you are looking for a well written short love story based on two wounded people overcoming the difficulties they are facing then this is a story that you will enjoy. A traumatized Navy Seal and his buddy’s triathlete sister injured in an automobile accident are the two main characters in this story. Much emotion is invoked in the few pages this story occupies. ( )
  CathyGeha | Apr 20, 2014 |
This is a simple love conquers all love story. Jill had a foot amputated after being injured by a drunken driver and this puts an end to her dream of competing in an ironman race. Nick suffering from PTSD, promised Julies dying brother, a comrade in arms that he would care for her.
This was oversimplified. While I commend the author for bringing two very real problems to people's attention their recoveries were in no way realistic. PTSD is very real, 22 veterans a day kill themselves because of this condition. I know it's fiction but neither of this conditions are overcome this simply. It sets false expectations.
I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for this review. ( )
  lexiesmom | Apr 17, 2014 |
Excellent short story! The descriptive details of Nick's flashbacks were very real. The emotions were very raw. I was proud of him when he wanted to get help to heal himself to pursue a relationship and come back to Jill. He is a man of his word. ( )
  MEDavis66 | Apr 9, 2014 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Kimberley Troutte's book Down and Dirty - SEAL Extreme Team Short Story was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Kimberley Troutte is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,748,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible