Absolutely Truly: A Pumpkin Falls Mystery by…

Absolutely Truly: A Pumpkin Falls Mystery

by Heather Vogel Frederick

Who wants to move from sunny Austin, Texas to the small, boring town of Pumpkin Falls, New Hampshire where winter lasts at least 6 months of the year and there’s no mall or movie theater? Middle school student Truly Lovejoy has no choice when her family decides to move to her father’s hometown after “Black Monday,” or the day her father lost his arm in a helicopter accident during his final tour of duty. While helping in the family bookstore, Truly discovers an intriguing letter inside a rare copy of “Charlotte’s Web.” She becomes obsessed with finding the secrets hidden in the letter and brings her new friends in on the adventure discovering clues around town. While trying to solve this mystery, Truly also learns a few things about life, love, family and being true to herself. Written for tweens, this is a fun, heartwarming read with strong, well developed characters.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
  mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
The series is billed as a mystery and there is a private investigation group formed from the new group of friends, but most of the focus seems to be on daily life of the Lovejoy family and for Truly and her new friends.
Truly's life is uprooted after her dad comes home from a tour of duty less one arm. He is having a hard time finding his way with this new reality, so the big (5 kids) Lovejoy family moves from Texas to Pumpkin Falls, Vermont to take over the family bookstore. The characters are likeable. Truly is the focus as she starts 7th grade in her new school and meets a new group of friends who stumble onto a secret letter hidden in a signed copy of Charlotte's Web.
A cute, predictable story that is worth the journey. ( )
  ewyatt | Jan 6, 2017 |
If you like this book, you'll probably like LAST IN A LONG LINE OF REBELS. ( )
  Jen-the-Librarian | Mar 13, 2016 |
Just as warm and comforting as a cup of cocoa on a winter day. I loved this book. It is so refreshing to read about a functional family, smart and resourceful middle schoolers, and have it all set in a friendly, picturesque New England town. This is the kind of book you want to jump into and never leave. I will be recommending it heartily to all the girls in my fifth grade classes. If only the real world were more like Pumpkin Falls. ( )
  raymond56 | Sep 22, 2015 |
This was a super fun, adorable, lovable book! It's set in the teeny tiny town of Pumpkin Falls New Hampshire, and centers around a 12-year-old girl named Truly. She has a big family including 4 brothers and sisters.
It deals with some serious stuff, her dad just came back from war and had to have his arm amputated. It gently covers some issues about PTSD.
The family moves to NH to help run the family book store, which has been around for 100 years or so. While looking around the store, Truly finds a secret message hidden in an original copy of Charlotte's Web. From there, she goes on a fascinating adventure and makes new friends along the way.
I really (truly) loved this book. :) ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
Prologue: A week before the January thaw finally arrived in February, I found myself hanging like a bat from a rafter inside a church steeple, face-to-face with a bell made by Paul Revere.
Chapter 1: "What is THIS supposed to mean?" my father demanded as I followed my brother throug the front door, our arms full of boxes.

"Twelve-year-old Truly Lovejoy's family moves to a small town to take over a bookstore. Soon, she has to solve two mysteries involving a missing book and an undelivered letter"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,633,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible