In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and…

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS…

by Hampton Sides

Manages the difficult task of being equal parts bonkers, captivating, and tragic. Very hard to put down once you get into it. ( )
  GaylaBassham | May 27, 2018 |
4.5 stars

In the late 19th century, Captain De Long paired up with the owner of the New York Herald (who funded the trip) to sail the USS Jeannette to the North Pole. At the time (though no one had yet been there), some people thought that once you pushed past the ice, there was warmer and open water. De Long, armed with maps (many of which were simply incorrect) from German cartographer Petermann, took off on the multi-year voyage with 32 other men to sail through to the ice-free section and the North Pole. Without wanting to give too much away, this would prove to be incredibly dangerous.

This was amazing! Some of the background information near the start of the book, particularly about Bennett (who funded the trip), wasn’t as interesting, but it wasn’t uninteresting, either. I seem to be fascinated by survival stories (though I’m about the opposite of a risk-taker, myself - I’ll just read about it, thanks!). This one read like fiction and it kept me wanting to keep reading to find out what happened next. It is nonfiction, so it really happened, but I honestly didn’t know how it would turn out, so I was riveted! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jan 13, 2018 |
A superb book although I did find the introductory chapters that covered off the history of Polar expeditions, the public interest, financing, and preparing somewhat dull. But once the ship got underway it was gripping.

In all the expeditions such as this I’d never heard of this one. Pity, as its scope considering where it started and ended, without spoiler alerts, is mind boggling.

Eventually, most worthwhile. ( )
  martinhughharvey | Sep 17, 2017 |
Joy's review: This is non-fiction at it's best! Sides makes the story of this audacious journey a gripping read. Attempting to sail to the North Pole in 1879, the Jeanette quickly gets locked in the ice. Sides paints vivid pictures of the crew and their courage, suffering, and, sometimes, insanity. Context and preparations are interestingly described without unnecessary detours. This a great book for anyone who loves adventure tales as well as history buffs and fans of the Arctic. ( )
  konastories | Aug 23, 2017 |
Reminds me of endeavoring to publish. ( )
  Mark-Bailey | Jul 1, 2017 |
Hampton Sides's "In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette," which recounts the astonishing tribulations of a group of seafarers determined to be the first men to reach and reconnoiter the North Pole, is a splendid book in every way.

... as Hampton Sides illustrates in his vivid new book, “In the Kingdom of Ice,” hopelessly naive notions rarely lead to good outcomes in the Arctic.

Hampton Sidesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morey, ArthurNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The privilege isn't given to everyone . . . You must have suffered first, have suffered greatly, have gained some miserable knowledge. In that way your eyes are opened to it.
- - Henry James, 1881
To My Brother Link Sides 1957-2013
(Prologue) On a misty morning in late April 1973, the Tigress, a steam barkentine out of Conception Bay, Newfoundland, was pushing through the loose floes and bergs off the coast of Labrador, heading for the seasonal seal-hunting grounds.
Close to midnight, on the evening of Sunday, November 8, 1874, as the early edition of the next day's New York Herald was being born, the gaslit building at the corner of Broadway and Ann Street bustled.

A dramatic account of the ill-fated 19th-century naval expedition to the North Pole cites the contributions of German cartographer August Petermann, New York Herald owner James Gordon Bennett and famed naval officer George Washington De Long in the team's efforts to survive brutal environmental conditions.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,356,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible