dismiss

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

The Three-Body Problem (2008)

by Liu Cixin

Series: Remembrance of Earth's Past (1)

Three-Body Problem is the first chance for an English-speaking audience to experience this multiple award winning phenomenon from China's most beloved science fiction author, Liu Cixin. Set against the backdrop of China's Cultural Revolution, a secret military project sends signals into space to establish contact with aliens. An alien civilization on the brink of destruction captures the signal and plans to invade Earth. Meanwhile, on Earth, different camps start forming, planning to either welcome the superior beings and help them take over a world seen as corrupt, or to fight against the invasion. The result is a science fiction masterpiece of enormous scope and vision.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, MahiShafiullah, AnthonyLib, sparhomenko, usquare, Luis_Castrillo, rena40, jeanned
    Anathem by Neal Stephenson (storyjunkie)
    storyjunkie: There are stylistic and societal-implications similarities between the English translation of The Three-Body Problem and Anathem, despite being of very different worlds, and deep into different scientific areas.
    Blindsight by Peter Watts (electronicmemory)
    Tau Zero by Poul Anderson (br77rino)
    br77rino: I put this because both books are what I would consider hard science fiction.
    Contact by Carl Sagan (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Stories about man's search for intelligent life in the universe with elements of hard science

English (202)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  All languages (212)
fast fun read. great book if you like sci-fi and computers. also, a nice historical view into the cultural revolution. ( )
  aabtzu | May 18, 2020 |
This is definitely a hard sci-fi novel. It's quite an experience, but maybe not what you're expecting. If you're looking for a character-driven novel, or even a plot-driven novel, you might be disappointed in this one. This is a science-driven novel. It has a slow reveal and a slow pace, with lots of explanations of the science involved. I didn't find it a difficult read (perhaps because I do enjoy reading science non-fiction books) but it's not a fast, action-packed one.

Do I see why it won / was nominated for awards? Yes; it is well crafted. Would I read it again? Maybe. I'm sure there is more depth that I missed because my attention wandered as I waited for something to happen. Would I recommend it? Only to lovers of hard sci-fi who can handle a slow-burn book where very little concrete action happens. It's definitely quite a trip, if you're capable of going along for the ride. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
Obviously a very good book. I think I just wasn’t in the right headspace for it (and also from the first time in I opened it until finishing the last page it was over 3 years, which can’t have helped). ( )
  lightkensei | May 17, 2020 |
4/5 of this book was really awesome. Felt like the editor kind of fell asleep at the end--it's rare for "the slog" to be in the last 40-50 pages. ( )
  jostie13 | May 14, 2020 |
it would not be fitting for me to give this deeply affecting book any less than five stars. that's not say i enjoyed it unreservedly—it had some curiosities of pacing and other little imperfections, which i suspect may be due to the fact that this storytelling comes from a tradition i am wholly unfamiliar with. also, as a physicist reading a book about physics, there were some elements which asked too much of me with regards to suspension of disbelief; some "you've lost me there" moments. that said, i found the inclusion of science and its role in the story to be incredibly satisfying. the historical and cultural examination contained within was what really made this special, for me. it's a book so fundamentally about human nature; even when alien civilisations are brought into the mix they reflect us like, say, a giant parabolic mirror in the sky. the translation was excellent, least of all in the amount of technical detail that had to make its way between languages. i found the footnotes very helpful when it came to chinese history. and the story itself—it seemed like when i thought i couldn't be surprised any further, there was something shocking around the corner—but not in a shlocky plot twist kind of way. it was like a journey of discovery, with crucial information being revealed only when you needed it, and absolutely no sooner. as such, and with the deep impact this book made on me, i rate it highly as one of the best works of sci-fi i've read. ( )
  i. | Apr 9, 2020 |

Roubicek, BrunoNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sainio, RaunoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simonetti, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tavani, BenedettaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The Red Union had been attacking the headquarters of the April Twenty-eighth Brigade for two days.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,255,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible