Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven

by Emily St. John Mandel

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An ensemble cast of flu survivors journey across the U.S. and through the remains of civilization to fulfill their fated roles in these novels. The Stand is more graphic and action-packed, with a clear theme of good vs. evil.
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (benjclark)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (dhoyt)
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (jmg12)
    Soft Apocalypse by Will Mcintosh (Meggle)
    The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Dystopian North America with a strong female protagonist
    Good Morning, Midnight: A Novel by Lily Brooks-Dalton (nicole_a_davis)
    Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (johnxlibris)
    Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins (BeckyJG)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: Muses on memory and the role of art specifically drama set respectively in the alien past and the horrific near future.
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (JenMDB)
    Player One: What Is to Become of Us by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Anonymous user)
    The Amateurs by Liz Harmer (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: Both are dystopia
    Sea of Rust: A Novel by C. Robert Cargill (Rynooo)

Canada (47)

English (475)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (478)
Super good! I raced through it in two days. The post-apocalyptic setting was an excellent back drop for the story and I loved the characters. The world and the story were so well written you can't help but be drawn into them.

The focus of the book is not the plot, which was good, but the lives of the characters. It was fascinating how they intertwined. How chance meetings and seeming simple actions changed the course of peoples lives.

Even is you are not a fan of Sci-Fi you should read this. If you are a fan of Nora Roberts this is one for you. ( )
  purpledog | Mar 14, 2019 |
Good stuff. Some really interesting touchpoints here from Hollywood celebrity through esoteric comic book projects and post-apocalyptic road novels with a tiny side-glace at Justin Cronin's The Passage.

I worked out the identity of the only kinda-antagonist fairly early on, but I don't think it mattered too much. Despite the high-concept elevator pitch for this book, it was always more about character than plot... that and Shakespeare. ( )
1 vote asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
It seems I am willing to overlook a lot if I think a book is written well. The story Station Eleven tells is very engaging, very atmospheric, and, in my opinion, very dumb. But it was so engaging and atmospheric that I didn't care it was dumb.

One snowy night in Toronto, a famous actor suffers a fatal heart attack during a performance of King Lear. That same night, a deadly flu begins to spread throughout the city. It becomes a pandemic that kills off 99% of the world’s population. Fifteen years later, a travelling group of actors and musicians visits settlements across the Great Lakes region, performing Shakespeare for survivors. The troupe’s motto, taken from Star Trek: Voyager, is “Because survival is insufficient.” The story oscillates between pre- and post-apocalyptic settings, revealing how an individual’s actions can have a ripple effect across time.

What sets Station Eleven apart from other post-apocalyptic stories is the question of what place art could possibly have after the end of civilization. Unfortunately, this is the very thing that drove me nuts. For instance, this is the first post-apocalyptic world I've seen that is weirdly unconcerned with food. Like in [b:The Road|6288|The Road|Cormac McCarthy|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1320606344s/6288.jpg|3355573] and [b:The Walking Dead|6465707|The Walking Dead, Compendium 1|Robert Kirkman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1372552170s/6465707.jpg|6656179], survivors ransack abandoned houses for supplies. In Station Eleven, however, supplies include rosin for string instruments and a dress that can be used as a costume for Titania. Yeah, okay, "survival is insufficient," but I could not stop rolling my eyes.

While I thought it silly, I was never tempted to set the book aside. Emily Mandel's prose has an eerie, otherworldly quality to it that suits her story perfectly. Death and violence are observed with a detachment almost like that of a nature documentary:

“Of all of them there at the bar that night, the bartender was the one who survived the longest. He died three weeks later on the road out of the city.”

Oooh, shivers. ( )
  doryfish | Mar 6, 2019 |
I've read a fair amount of post-apocalyptic fiction, and this was a fresh take on the genre. It was realistic, sparse, and spare, but not as gritty as an I Am Legend. This was one of my book club's pick and while I likely wouldn't have picked it up on my own, I'm glad someone else did because it was a great reading experience. (Plus, all the realistic post-apocalyptic lit helps me prepare and increased the odds that I might survive myself!) ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Station Eleven begins with a famous actor dying on stage, followed by 99% of civilization being wiped out from the "Georgia Flu" followed by a post apocalyptic time. I usually don't like any apocalypse type books, but this one was so good. It is told through pre apocalypse and post apocalypse times. We hear the story from various characters and it centers more on the psychological changes to them than the physical. I love how the author weaves her tale and brings the characters together in one way or another. I just couldn't put this down, nor did I want it to end. I highly recommend this and give a 5 star rating which I am very stingy to award very often. It did bog down for me in the first chapters, but I am so glad that I stuck with it. It's one of those books that will haunt you after you read it, pops into my head often. You can't go wrong reading this book. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
Station Eleven is not so much about apocalypse as about memory and loss, nostalgia and yearning; the effort of art to deepen our fleeting impressions of the world and bolster our solitude. Mandel evokes the weary feeling of life slipping away, for Arthur as an individual and then writ large upon the entire world.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Justine Jordan (Sep 25, 2014)

Survival may indeed be insufficient, but does it follow that our love of art can save us? If “Station Eleven” reveals little insight into the effects of extreme terror and misery on humanity, it offers comfort and hope to those who believe, or want to believe, that doomsday can be survived, that in spite of everything people will remain good at heart, and that when they start building a new world they will want what was best about the old.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Sigrid Nunez (Sep 12, 2014)

Mandel’s solid writing and magnetic narrative make for a strong combination in what should be a breakout novel.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 17, 2014)

Emily St. John Mandelprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kuhn, WibkeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The bright side of the planet moves toward darkness
And the cities are falling asleep, each in its hour,
And for me, now as then, it is too much.
There is too much world.
—Czeslaw Milosz
The Separate Notebooks
In Memory of Emilie Jacobson
The king stood in a pool of blue light, unmoored. This was act 4 of King Lear, a winter night at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto.
Jeevan's understanding of disaster preparedness was based entirely on action movies, but on the other hand, he'd seen a lot of action movies.
There had always been a massive delicate infrastructure of people, all of them working unnoticed around us, and when people stop going to work, the entire operation grinds to a halt.
I was here for the end of electricity.
He would jettison everything that could possibly be thrown overboard, this weight of money and possessions, and in this casting off he'd be a lighter man.
We traveled so far and your friendship meant everything. It was very difficult, but there were moments of beauty. Everything ends. I am not afraid.

An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night, Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a performance of King Lear. Jeevan Chaudhary, a paparazzo-turned-EMT, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded, and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside an apartment, watching out the window as cars clog the highways, gunshots ring out, and life disintegrates around them.

Fifteen years later, Kirsten is an actress with the Traveling Symphony. Together, this small troupe moves between the settlements of an altered world, performing Shakespeare and music for scattered communities of survivors. Written on their caravan, and tattooed on Kirsten's arm, is a line from Star Trek: "Because survival is insufficient." But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who digs graves for anyone who dares to leave.

Spanning decades, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, this suspenseful, elegiac novel is rife with beauty. As Arthur falls in and out of love, as Jeevan watches the newscasters say their final goodbyes, and as Kirsten finds herself caught in the crosshairs of the prophet, we see the strange twists of fate that connect them all. A novel of art, memory, and ambition, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it.

One snowy night Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a production. Jeevan Chaudhary, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside as life disintegrates outside. This novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the Traveling Symphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet.… (more)

Emily St. John Mandel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,517,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible