Station Eleven: A novel by Emily St. John…

Station Eleven: A novel (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Emily St. John Mandel

Member:TheAlternativeOne
Title:Station Eleven: A novel
Authors:Emily St. John Mandel
Info:Knopf (2014), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Science Fiction

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (2014)

Recently added bythallada, Otlo, mausergem, jevins, Catelam, libq, DoddSue, private library, Adilinaria
    Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    The Road by Cormac McCarthy (sturlington)
    The Passage by Justin Cronin (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are inventive dystopian novels of a future after a pandemic collapses civilization.
    The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood (JenMDB)
    The Stand {1978} by Stephen King (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: An ensemble cast of flu survivors journey across the U.S. and through the remains of civilization to fulfill their fated roles in these novels. The Stand is more graphic and action-packed, with a clear theme of good vs. evil.
    Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: Both amazing books featuring dangerous flu like viruses and how people cope in emergency situations
    Earth Abides by George R. Stewart (dhoyt)
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (benjclark)
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (generalkala)
    generalkala: Similar multi-strand, multi-era novel.
    The Dog Stars by Peter Heller (jmg12)
    Player One: What Is to Become of Us by Douglas Coupland (Cecilturtle)
    Soft Apocalypse by Will Mcintosh (Meggle)
    Bel Canto by Ann Patchett (Anonymous user)
    Morality Play by Barry Unsworth (pitjrw)
    pitjrw: Muses on memory and the role of art specifically drama set respectively in the alien past and the horrific near future.
    Gold Fame Citrus by Claire Vaye Watkins (BeckyJG)
    World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler (JenMDB)
    Feed by Mira Grant (evilmoose)

English (371)  All (1)  German (1)  All (373)
Usually not my genre but interesting story about the end of civilization as we know it. Fast read. Page turner. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 28, 2017 |
Famous actor Arthur Leander is performing in King Lear. Arthur suddenly dies on stage. That night a deadly flu virus reaches North America and the collapse of the world has begun. Twenty years later Kristen an actress who performs with the Travelling Symphony fears the world as they now know it is threatened.

There is a lot of hype with this book but I have read it blind as I don't know much about it. I have read a few end of the world books but they are not always for me.

This book started quite well and I was drawn in. This didn't last long however. I found I was getting quite bored and felt the story was dragging on.

There was a tiny spark for me and it was the characters that I was introduced to before the collapse. I wanted to see who survived and who died from the flu. This is the only part of the book that kept my interest.

I can see similarities with this book and others like it. The end of the world, survivors who band together, having to survive against the good and the bad.

I have finished the book , I am known for giving up, but I didn't really enjoy it and plodded through it just to see how everybody ended up. I was expecting perhaps a little more action and how people did survive. I would have liked more after the collapse rather than the all before. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 19, 2017 |
"The more you remember, the more you've lost." - Emily St. John Mandel, "Station Eleven"

Others ask, is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all? Emily St. John Mandel repeatedly asks a slightly different question in her post-apocalyptic novel "Station Eleven." Are those who remember the world before civilization ended better or worse off than those who don't?

The question is raised by many different characters in many different ways in the years after the Georgia Flu kills 99.9 percent of the world's population. The only survivors are those who are either immune to the virus or happen to be so isolated that they miss the contagion altogether. So many people are killed that the ability to do everything from produce energy to manufacture virtually anything is lost. People gather into traveling bands, the strong preying on the weak, with everyone constantly searching for food.

As years pass, older people still fondly remember airplanes, computers, cell phones and televisions. Those who are younger remember little or nothing about the civilization that was lost, although a museum established in an abandoned airport gives them some idea. So who is better off? "We long only for the world we were born into," one character says, a commentary most of us can relate to after a certain stage of life, with or without an apocalypse.

Two key characters were small children when civilization ended. The girl, one of the novel's more positive characters, remembers very little of those days. Of the boy, the story's villain, she wonders if he "had had the misfortune of remembering everything."

The story is framed by literature, Shakespeare on one end and a graphic novel called "Station Eleven" on the other. The latter, created by one of the main characters, tells of a space station that has been traveling to distant stars for so many years that the crew has no memory of Earth, the planet where their flight originated. Station Eleven is the world they were born into.

As for William Shakespeare, he was living at the time of the Bubonic Plague, and his work was influenced by it. "Station Eleven" opens with a production of one of Shakespeare's plays in Toronto just before the Georgia Flu strikes, and afterward one of the roving bands performs his plays on their travels, mostly through what once was Michigan. Computers, cell phones and televisions may no longer be operable, but if Shakespeare survives, can civilization be truly said to have died? ( )
  hardlyhardy | Apr 12, 2017 |
A post-apocalyptic novel that combines Shakespeare, A little bit of King's "The Stand" whipped up in a cocktail of wistfulness. A dreamlike fugue of humanness and despair at the end of the world.

Terrific perspective and a terrific read. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Not ground breaking but a strong effort. End of the world without the zombies, an excellent look at the human spirit in all it's strengths, weaknesses and complexities. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |
I hate apocalyptic fiction. But this tale of the end of a civilisation shows how even in the ruins, humanity can preserve its virtues

Station Eleven is not so much about apocalypse as about memory and loss, nostalgia and yearning; the effort of art to deepen our fleeting impressions of the world and bolster our solitude. Mandel evokes the weary feeling of life slipping away, for Arthur as an individual and then writ large upon the entire world.
added by zhejw | editThe Guardian, Justine Jordan (Sep 25, 2014)

Survival may indeed be insufficient, but does it follow that our love of art can save us? If “Station Eleven” reveals little insight into the effects of extreme terror and misery on humanity, it offers comfort and hope to those who believe, or want to believe, that doomsday can be survived, that in spite of everything people will remain good at heart, and that when they start building a new world they will want what was best about the old.
added by zhejw | editNew York Times, Sigrid Nunez (Sep 12, 2014)

Mandel’s solid writing and magnetic narrative make for a strong combination in what should be a breakout novel.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 17, 2014)

The bright side of the planet moves toward darkness
And the cities are falling asleep, each in its hour,
And for me, now as then, it is too much.
There is too much world.
—Czeslaw Milosz
The Separate Notebooks
In Memory of Emilie Jacobson
The king stood in a pool of blue light, unmoored. This was act 4 of King Lear, a winter night at the Elgin Theatre in Toronto.
Jeevan's understanding of disaster preparedness was based entirely on action movies, but on the other hand, he'd seen a lot of action movies.
There had always been a massive delicate infrastructure of people, all of them working unnoticed around us, and when people stop going to work, the entire operation grinds to a halt.
I was here for the end of electricity.
He would jettison everything that could possibly be thrown overboard, this weight of money and possessions, and in this casting off he'd be a lighter man.
We traveled so far and your friendship meant everything. It was very difficult, but there were moments of beauty. Everything ends. I am not afraid.

An audacious, darkly glittering novel set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, Station Eleven tells the spellbinding story of a Hollywood star, his would-be savior, and a nomadic group of actors roaming the scattered outposts of the Great Lakes region, risking everything for art and humanity.

One snowy night, Arthur Leander, a famous actor, has a heart attack onstage during a performance of King Lear. Jeevan Chaudhary, a paparazzo-turned-EMT, is in the audience and leaps to his aid. A child actress named Kirsten Raymonde watches in horror as Jeevan performs CPR, pumping Arthur's chest as the curtain drops, but Arthur is dead. That same night, as Jeevan walks home from the theater, a terrible flu begins to spread. Hospitals are flooded, and Jeevan and his brother barricade themselves inside an apartment, watching out the window as cars clog the highways, gunshots ring out, and life disintegrates around them.

Fifteen years later, Kirsten is an actress with the Traveling Symphony. Together, this small troupe moves between the settlements of an altered world, performing Shakespeare and music for scattered communities of survivors. Written on their caravan, and tattooed on Kirsten's arm, is a line from Star Trek: "Because survival is insufficient." But when they arrive in St. Deborah by the Water, they encounter a violent prophet who digs graves for anyone who dares to leave.

Spanning decades, moving back and forth in time, and vividly depicting life before and after the pandemic, this suspenseful, elegiac novel is rife with beauty. As Arthur falls in and out of love, as Jeevan watches the newscasters say their final goodbyes, and as Kirsten finds herself caught in the crosshairs of the prophet, we see the strange twists of fate that connect them all. A novel of art, memory, and ambition, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it.

"An audacious, darkly glittering novel about art, fame, and ambition set in the eerie days of civilization's collapse, from the author of three highly acclaimed previous novels. One snowy night a famous Hollywood actor slumps over and dies onstage during a production of King Lear. Hours later, the world as we know it begins to dissolve. Moving back and forth in time-from the actor's early days as a film star to fifteen years in the future, when a theater troupe known as the Traveling Symphony roams the wasteland of what remains-this suspenseful, elegiac, spellbinding novel charts the strange twists of fate that connect five people: the actor, the man who tried to save him, the actor's first wife, his oldest friend, and a young actress with the TravelingSymphony, caught in the crosshairs of a dangerous self-proclaimed prophet. Sometimes terrifying, sometimes tender, Station Eleven tells a story about the relationships that sustain us, the ephemeral nature of fame, and the beauty of the world as we know it"--… (more)

Emily St. John Mandel is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,889,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible