Dreamer's Pool by Juliet Marillier

Dreamer's Pool (2014)

by Juliet Marillier

English (21)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All (23)
Originally posted at Tea & Titles

Are you ready for a slightly sleep-deprived Ely?

I present to you a contender for my favourite book of the year.

I didn’t think I would like this. I’m a bit iffy when it comes to fae novels—I think this stems from my obsession with fairies as a little girl, and then my inability to ever find anything as good. Dreamer’s Pool was different. It was exactly what I wanted.

For the first 80 pages, I struggled to make it through. There wasn’t anything inherently wrong with it—I was just worried I wouldn’t like it, and it was slow to start. After I made it past that point I couldn’t stop reading. I flew through the rest of the book in record time. By the time I reached those 80 pages, I had fallen in love with the story and the characters so much that there was no way I was going to stop. I even skipped out on a cheese toastie just so I could finish it—that’s dedication.

I loved the characters. More specifically, I love Blackthorn and Grim more than life. Their friendship is the best thing I’ve read ever. I just have a lot of feels about them. Of course, I love them separately too. I really, really connected to Blackthorn, which I didn’t expect to. There were parts of her personality that are in me too, and I really liked seeing how she reacted to things. Grim is just adorable. I know how weird that sounds given his name is Grim, but he is just such a great character. I’m so glad that I don’t have to give them up yet.

As for the fae aspect—I actually really liked it. There isn’t a whole of ‘fae action’ in there, but the parts that were in there really reminded me of the fairy picture books I read as a kid. There were some scenes that I could imagine like one of the pictures out of those books. It’s made me feel very nostalgic. I don’t know whether fae will play a bigger part in the next two books, but for once I’m actually excited to see more of them. Thank you, Juliet Marillier for reigniting my love for fairies.

The writing was incredible too. I’m not usually a huge fan of multi perspective novels—I have issues with the different character voices. For once, I could actually clearly tell each character’s chapters apart without having to constantly check the name at the start of the chapter. I absolutely loved how Blackthorn, Grim and Oran all sounded so different, and in ways that totally suited their character. Can we have more of this elsewhere, please?

There were a few parts that I was a bit ‘meh’ about. I don’t love Oran, and for a while I was actually really bored by his parts. I didn’t see how he was going to connect into the bigger part of the story. Honestly, I could’ve read any entire book about Blackthorn and Grim working and having cute squad moments. As it went on, I did actually really like where the plot with Oran went. There were lots of twists and turns and it was a little bit like a mystery—basically, it was just amazing.

I’m sure you’re going to hear me talk about this novel until the end of time from now on. I would very highly recommend it, but do be warned there are a few moments that highlight that this is an adult fantasy. If you’ve read this already, please fangirl with me below. If you haven’t, then I hope I’ve convinced you to give it a go! ( )
  EarlGreyBooks | Aug 2, 2017 |
I wonder if I would have liked Dreamer's Pool better in print. I listened to the Audible edition, which features four narrators each presenting a different character's point of view. Nick Sullivan narrates the baritone Grim POV, generally more refined than I think Grim ought to be (although I'm not fond of his voice reminds me of Howard Keel, though having looked Keel up that's a little ironic). (Actually, Nick Sullivan's narration was a small part of why I returned a different book (The Bughouse Affair, though that had a lot more problems than just one narration). Scott Aiello voices the lighter-toned Oran – with some irritating flat secondary character voices (Donagan et al). I didn't mind the two female voices as much, but I wondered a little why Flidais didn't get a narrator/POV (until the reason became clear); that question is actually something of a detraction from the book, because all things being equal she ought to have her own point of view and narrator. The narrators' Pronunciations were too-often just plain wrong, with repeated errors like Aiello's of "Daeman" as "Demon", Gold's of "geis" as … "gas", and homonym mistakes like "a scythe wound to the leg" coming out "wound" as in watch, not bleeding.

The first point of view section, that of she who was about to become Blackthorn, felt familiar – a prison cell, a woman unfairly imprisoned and constantly brutalized, a male confidant nearby, viciously cruel guards, counting the days with hash marks on the wall, escape. It took a minute to remember [book:All Our Yesterdays], by Cristin Terrill, which started out much the same (though not in a medieval/fantasy setting). Blackthorn, in dire need of anger management and PTSD therapy, fights her way out of the prison, and – barely- tolerated the devoted Grim following in her wake. It's hard to listen to Blackthorn's antipathy to Grim. In a way it's a plus for the book – it's not a matter of insta-love between two prisoners, or anything so … expected. But it also doesn't entirely make sense. Yes, Blackthorn is deeply scarred, still mourning her lost family, but it's a case of the abused becoming an abuser herself – she is terribly cruel to him.

Grim himself is an enigma. What does he want? Is there more to his motives than seems obvious? What has he been through beyond the horrors of that prison? He's a very interesting character – but ill-served; a physical description doesn't come until about three and a half hours into the audiobook. There could well be logical reasons for that, but even if Blackthorn isn't exactly in any temperament to go about remarking on other people's hair and eye color, there had to be some way to slip in a tidbit here and there. And, again, the narration of his point of view did not fit him.

The name Flidais kept throwing me off, since I remembered it from Guy Kay's Fionavar Tapestry, and that Flidais was male. (I wonder why, since a search indicates that Flidais was a sort of Celtic Artemis. Hm.) I'll come back to the change in her personality in a bit, but for this paragraph I'll just say that it was too extreme. In the letters she exchanges with her prince betrothed, Oran, she is sweetness and light personified, smart and inquiring; then she arrives for her wedding with him, and her personality has undergone a massive change. She was suddenly a diametric opposite to the girl in her letters

Oran's a bit annoying and slightly pathetic, suffering in utmost sappiness from love at first letter. They keep referring to him as The Unconventional Prince, and it's as though he flits through his days trying to deserve that badge. He reminds me a little of Marianne in Sense and Sensibility – consciously and conscientiously Romantic, with a capital R. This is a man who, if spurned, would refuse to eat, would make sure he did not sleep, would become pale and haggard and suffering, and relish every second of it. And I became very, very tired of hearing about his … stirrings. And certainly about his raging desire. Much less his manly parts. The main reason his sections kept my attention was a spoiler I saw somewhere early on, mentioning Flidais's cruelty, which was unexpected. Until it wasn't.

Juliet Marillier is a tremendously respectedwriter, but somehow I've never clicked with her, and this book, this duology, is everything why. First, I had … qualms about the plot. On the surface it was an interesting idea, but in spots it doesn't stand up too well to much scrutiny. A girl disappears without a word – which is a divergence from her usual behavior – on the same day her father dies in an extraordinary accident … and no one thinks twice about it? A woman drowns; "Perhaps she could not swim", someone refelects … Then why did she go swimming in the first place? That there is something up with Flidais is telegraphed strongly – "Until the day of the drowning, Lady Flidais was devoted to Bramble, and Bramble to her." Ruh roh, I said at the time, because it was thoroughly blatant. The sweet, eager, earnest girl in the letters vanishes entirely (entirely coincidental to that drowing episode), and the creature that shows up in person is horrendous. She basically rapes her ardent, innocent young lover in a stable; it was nice to see Oran show some spine in that situation, but good Lord. And those convenient headaches of hers … once he started to suspect something was up, why didn't he directly question her in the course of a conversation about something they talked about in the letters – or ask her about something he never wrote about, and see how she responded? These are the same questions I always ask in any possible mistaken identity or substitution case. There is always going to be something no one else could possibly know; there is always going to be some question certain to put paid to any question of identity. "Flidais, do you remember what I told you in that specific letter that time? No, don't try to scamper away with a fake headache…"

And while sentences are well crafted and the language is occasionally rather beautiful, the story-telling grated at times. I already griped about the use of euphemism, particularly relating to Oran and sex. But, worse: "And yesterday, the two of them had gone up to the baker's"… Yes. I remember. Because it wasn't yesterday for me – it was six minutes ago audiobook time. Why are you telling me again? And yet Marillier does this, over and over. And over. She either has some need to inflate her word count or has no faith at all in her readers' retention – or perhaps it's a lack of faith in her own ability to get her points across? Whatever it is, she needs to get over it, because it's one of the most irritating habits in writing. "Tell us what happened that day at Branoc's barn." Oh, no, not again, I'm begging you, please don't… "And there was a book…" I KNOW. In one particularly bad example, an event plays out in "real time", and then, instead of a sentence like "and then they told him what had happened", Grim tells the story to someone who wasn't there … and then a short time later Blackthorn hits the highlights for someone else. No new information, nothing that wasn't already covered – twice. By the second iteration I'm usually sighing and rolling my eyes and making the "yes, got it, get on with it" gesture. If there's a third repeat I'm usually ready to scream.

Still, the characters were strong, if not always likeable. Lady Sochla was pretty cool. I empathized with Blackthorn:

"That didn't stop me wishing for the life of a hermit. … I wouldn't be lonely. There were the memories, mostly memories I didn't want, but a scattering of good ones too. And I could always get a dog. No a silly little lap dog like Lady Flidais's creature. I'd have a big ugly hound that kept folk away from my door. Nice dream. Pity that was all it was."

The mystery of both Blackthorn's and Grim's backgrounds is kept hidden from the reader, and doled out only in hints and vaguenesses, and that's wonderful. As much as the writing in general aggravated me, I still bought and listened to the second book. ( )
  Stewartry | Dec 13, 2016 |
What a beautifully written book this is. It is truly an exercise in exquisite style. Marillier is a craftswoman and it shows. From the opening line the world building is some of the best I have ever read. Mariellier takes a view of ancient Ireland and makes it as magical as I would want it to be. Blackthorn and Grim are both good characters. They have some serious flaws that make them more real and more understandable. Blackthorn wants revenge to the point of madness but I am still not sure what is driving Grim. He wants to forget something but cannot. I look forward to getting to know him better. Together they work for the good of the community around them. Not because they are good themselves but because that is the only way that Blackthorn will see justice done. The magic is very subtle, it is not everywhere and very clear but if you look for it you will see it. I cannot wait to read the second novel.

I give this book a Five out of Five stars. ( )
  lrainey | May 4, 2016 |
See the complete review posted on Book Frivolity. Check out other Fantasy and Historical Fiction ruminations there as well! I've forgiven Marillier's overly long, plodding paced books before, because the surroundings, history, magic and intrigues of the Priteni were always so beautiful and lush. Dreamer's Pool lacked that lushness but still had that plodding paced, underedited feel. I couldn't really forgive the repetiveness of notion and narrative, or that it was about as mysterious as what black t-shirt I'll put on in the morning. It was bland and brittle.

I was genuinely bored, I even started to speed read it, and that's really unusual for me. Cut the book in half and you would still have just as much sense of character and plot, without the nagging sensation that the whole book is completely underdone and underachieving.

I feel a sense of disappointment, because Marillier's work was some of the first adult historical fantasy I read, that made me fall in love with the genre. The Sevenwaters series and The Bridei Chronicles are far superior works, look them up instead. ( )
  BookFrivolity | Apr 23, 2016 |
This was a highly enjoyable read. Loved having a wise woman as the main character and really felt nicely carried along by the narrative. ( )
  eslee | Mar 12, 2016 |

First in a series about a magical healer's adventures in a world based on medieval Ireland.

Award-winning author Juliet Marillier “weaves magic, mythology, and folklore into every sentence on the page” (The Book Smugglers). Now she begins an all-new and enchanting series that will transport readers to a magical vision of ancient Ireland....

In exchange for help escaping her long and wrongful imprisonment, embittered magical healer Blackthorn has vowed to set aside her bid for vengeance against the man who destroyed all that she once held dear. Followed by a former prison mate, a silent hulk of a man named Grim, she travels north to Dalriada. There she’ll live on the fringe of a mysterious forest, duty bound for seven years to assist anyone who asks for her help.

Oran, crown prince of Dalriada, has waited anxiously for the arrival of his future bride, Lady Flidais. He knows her only from a portrait and sweetly poetic correspondence that have convinced him Flidais is his destined true love. But Oran discovers letters can lie. For although his intended exactly resembles her portrait, her brutality upon arrival proves she is nothing like the sensitive woman of the letters.

With the strategic marriage imminent, Oran sees no way out of his dilemma. Word has spread that Blackthorn possesses a remarkable gift for solving knotty problems, so the prince asks her for help. To save Oran from his treacherous nuptials, Blackthorn and Grim will need all their resources: courage, ingenuity, leaps of deduction, and more than a little magic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:09 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,067,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible