Serenity: Leaves on the Wind by Zack Whedon

Serenity: Leaves on the Wind

by Zack Whedon, Georges Jeanty (Illustrator)

Leaves on the Wind is my favourite of the continuing adventures for the Serenity crew. One for all Browncoats. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind (Serenity #4) by Zack Whedon is what my Firefly and Serenity groupie self has been waiting for! For those Firefly and Serenity fans out there, this is your book! This book takes place AFTER the Serenity movie! That's right, we get to know what happens after since no one made a film or restarted the series despite the thousands of fans that wanted more! The pictures are realistic too. Just look at that cover! The pictures are big, not small like a regular graphic novel. Large, wonderful, looks-like-the-actors images, easy to read fonts, loved the story which was easy to follow (again not like a regular graphic novel), and will please all the Malcolm and crew fans. LOVED this book! I got this one from the library but it may have to be a keeper, may have to break down and buy a copy! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Feb 13, 2017 |
This official follow up to the movie Serenity, which itself was a continuation of Joss Whedon's all-too-short-lived TV series Firefly, picks up the story of our erstwhile band of reluctant heroes several months after the climax of the film.

Captain Mal Reynolds is laying low but events are catching up with him. His first mate is due to give birth and a new resistance movement sees him as their figurehead. And the Alliance is hunting him.

Zack Whedon does a grand job of creating a new adventure while nodding to the movie and TV show. The artwork is excellent, particularly the painted divider pages, and the story moves along at a nice pace with plenty of action, humour and twists aplenty.

It's nice to see Whedon's creations having such an afterlife (not only Firefly, but also Buffy and Dollhouse) and fans should be very happy with the result. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
Serenity #4 Leaves on the Wind takes place just after the events of the movie. If you were wondering what happened next this is the telling of that story. Zack Whedon wrote the story under the creative hand of Josh Whedon. All I can is that I left this story wanting more. I loved this book in all it's complicated inventive story telling ways. I am not going give the usual summary of the plot because its so interconnected I would spoil the fun of reading the novel. At the same time the novel can stand on its own with knowledge of the prior events. The only criticism of this graphic novel is that I was not totally satisfied with the art work. Some of the characters were hard to recognize visually until I read what they saying and used to seeing them. That said their dialog however did do a just job of identifying them. After reading this book and seeing the movie I keep wondering why series was canceled. This a book worth buying and reading. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This IS the Serenity comic book you're looking for!

In this sequel to the movie - containing all six issues of "Leaves on the Wind" - we find the crew of Serenity fractured and in hiding, now that they're officially the most wanted criminals in the 'verse. Jayne has left to live with Ma Cobb (seriously!); River is now piloting the ship (she is the ship, duh!); and Zoe is grieving the loss of her husband - whose daughter she's about to give birth to (the sweetest!). Oh, and in a development that everyone saw coming, Mal and Inara and Kaylee and Simon are totally doing it.

They're out of food (c'mon, guys, maybe you should conserve some energy?), out of supplies, and just about out of options. Which is the perfect time to strike another blow to the Alliance, yes?

Things I loved about this story arc:

1. Inara wearing practical clothing for a change!

2. Kaylee being a badass, and in a great throwback to Firefly, to boot.

3. Characters old (Jubal Early, The Operative) and new (Bea and Emma).

4. We see Ma Cobb, if only in one panel.

5. A whole army of Rivers!

6. Cliffhanger ending = the perfect opportunity for a sequel.

7. Jayne gets kicked in the nuts.

Maybe it's unfair and judgey of me, but I hate it when the characters in comic books based on tv shows and movies don't look like the actors who play them. And this has been a pretty common complaint across the Serenity comic books. While the likenesses aren't all spot on here, the art is at least consistent enough that I can tell who's who and follow the action. (Yay!)

I can say the same of "It's Never Easy," the single-issue story that follows. It's silly but fun and, while the art is kind of blocky and caricature-y, I rather like it anyway. ( )
  smiteme | Jul 17, 2016 |

Zack Whedonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jeanty, GeorgesIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Whedon, JossProducersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,898,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible