Who Was Louis Braille? by Margaret Frith

Who Was Louis Braille?

by Margaret Frith

Louis Braille was a french man who is the creator of braille. Braille to start off is an alphabet for the blind to use their fingers feel the dots and know which letter they are feeling. Louis Braille was born in 1809 on January fourth in a small farm town called Coupvray located in France. Louis was not rich nor was his family very poor the worked very hard and made a good living. The reason Louis went blind is because one day when he was three he was in his father's workhouse playing with a sharp tool he was trying to puncture a slippery leather strap but instead punctured his eye. And the reason he lost sight in his other eye is because infection spread to it. Louis was sent to a special school in Paris for blind youth like him and while he was there he learned many things and made many friends. While he was at this school that he would later he would become a teacher at he learned that the writing systems for the blind were very hard to use so he decided to make his own whenever he had free time he would work on this system that was based on captain Charles Barbier's form of military writing called "night Writing". when Louis became an adult his writing was really only used at the school , but with the help of an assistant named Joseph Gaudet once they had changed the building the school was in they showed off this form of writing and it was accepted by the audience very well. However, France would not make it the official writing system for the blind and Louis Braille would never see that day because he had been fighting tuberculosis and his body couldn't fight it off anymore so when the day came in 1852 he died on January 6 two days after his forty-third birthday.

This book was very informative like a book of this genre should be. It filled me in on all the little details about Louis Braille and kept me turning the pages. I do enjoy a good informative read so it was nice to kick back and read this. I appreciate what Louis braille did not for only himself or his time and the world because we're still using his system 200 years later. In my opinion, it seems that Louis was a kind person who was always ready to help someone in need whenever they needed help. He was a kind teacher and taught as much as he could till the very end. It seems that in this book they caught all of his good features like an informative read like this should. Overall the book was great I enjoyed reading it and I hope all people who read it as well enjoy it. ( )
  maleakB.B4 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Who Was Louis Braille? by Margaret Frith, Scott Anderson (Illustrations) is a detailed book about Louis' life and how he created the braille system. It tells how he became blind, his life in general, his school, the issues he had, his success, those against him and more. Very readable and enjoyable book. Made me feel like I knew Louis and his friends. Great pictures along the way. Over 100 pages of just info too. Great job! I got this book from the library. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jan 11, 2017 |

Louis Braille certainly wasn't your average teenager. Blind from the age of four, he was only fifteen when in 1824 he invented a reading system that converted printed words into columns of raised dots. Through touch, Braille opened the world of books to the sightless, and almost two hundred years later, no one has ever improved upon his simple, brilliant idea.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:37 -0400)

Examines the life and times of the nineteenth-century Frenchman who developed the system of raised dots by which blind people read and write.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,928,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible