Guidebook to Murder by Lynn Cahoon

Guidebook to Murder

by Lynn Cahoon

First of all, you can rarely go wrong with books about books. And while I was hoping there would be more book shop in this one, I still enjoyed this cute cozy mystery.

Jill owns a book shop in small town California. Her friend dies and she inherits her house, but it turns out to be MURDER. Because it has to be murder to get into a cozy groove. Like you would expect, Jill does her best to solve the crime with the help of a sexy cop and a few sidekicks. It's cute. The mystery is a little jumbled up, but it all makes (some) sense by the end and the characters are fun. I will read book 2. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
Guidebook to Murder was my first cozy mystery by Lynn Cahoon. I was immediately drawn in from the start and continued to be enthralled to the end. My imagination embraced the setting of a small California coastal town called South Cove. The primary character, Jill Gardner, owned and operated Coffee, Books and More; the only book store/coffee shop for miles around. Jill was a divorced attorney who visited the town of South Cove while on vacation and loved it so much that she decided to move there and open her store. Part of the town's allure was the friendship she immediately forged with a kind old lady who initially welcomed her and made her feel right at home. Her name was Miss Emily, and Jill became like a daughter to her. Since Jill was devoid of a romantic relationship at the time, and Ms. Emily lived alone with few if any real friends, the two shared a special bond. But then the unthinkable happened. Ms. Emily was murdered and Jill was devastated. Who would do this? Ms. Emily was being continually pressured by the city council about infractions on her property, and shortly before she died the council was threatening to demolish her property if she didn't repair the fence, fix the lawn, and take care of many other eye sores related to her parcel. Ms. Emily's property was the lone obstacle to plans for a new development project, a commercial venture that could presumably net the town a considerable amount of money. Even the mayor was intent on dispossessing poor Ms. Emily. But would the developer or a city council member resort to murder? Jill wonders, but when her best friend Amy goes missing, and Ms. Emily's unsightly house begins turning up very valuable hidden treasures and secrets, is there more to this Murder mystery than Jill realised?

Lynn Cahoon has been added to my FAVORITE COZY AUTHORS list. This mystery was beautifully paced, the characters were interesting and varied, and the details surrounding Miss Emily's murder kept me guessing until the revealing at the end, which was both fulfilling and plausible. Thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend it highly. ( )
  Lauigl | Nov 24, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley, thank you!

A very short review: This book wasn't for me.

A bit longer review: Guidebook To Murder is the first book in a new series Tourist Trap Mysteries. I'd call it a cozy mystery, but I have to admit after reading this novel, it's not my genre. It felt like Midsummer Murders covered in a sugar coat. It annoyed me.

I like my mysteries or thrillers or whatever you like to call them to be more realistic, less cozy (someone has been murdered after all) and -if possible- with less personal drama from the main character. Jill has fled the big city and has now this bookshop annex café selling Books, Coffee and More. Her best friend ends up dead, (she's murdered) and -quite literally- the list of suspects and motives is endless! It was as if no one did NOT have some reason to kill her.

Jill immediately decides she will find the culprit herself, I mean what is the police for anyway? She's also being stalked/protected by a police officer, and she reminds us about every second page that he is married. Just in case we forgot.

Why does she have to go investigate all by herself? It's an irritation I often find in a book, why don't they just leave it for the police, it's their work! (And then they are surprised their lives are in danger because they wanted to investigate).

Some other weird things happened. Jill inherits Miss Emily's house, and she moves in before the poor old lady is even buried! That seems a bit odd to me...

And while people go missing, it is only natural the only thing you can think of is the police guy being married.

I guess there are a lot of people who enjoy this kind of books, and I really think they will enjoy Guidebook to Murder too. And in case you were wondering, no Guidebook to Murder is actually given in this book... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Noah Taylor
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Pretty damn good for a first in series. The story moved along nicely, with only a small amount of sluggish repetiveness near the middle. I wasn't entirely thrilled with the motive when the mystery was solved, but it was a great ride getting there. ( )
  StephLaymon | Jan 26, 2016 |

In the gentle coastal town of South Cove, California, all Jill Gardner wants is to keep her store–Coffee, Books, and More–open and running. So why is she caught up in the business of murder?

When Jill's elderly friend, Miss Emily, calls in a fit of pique, she already knows the city council is trying to force Emily to sell her dilapidated old house. But Emily's gumption goes for naught when she dies unexpectedly and leaves the house to Jill–along with all of her problems... and her enemies. Convinced her friend was murdered, Jill is finding the list of suspects longer than the list of repairs needed on the house. But Jill is determined to uncover the culprit–especially if it gets her closer to South Cove's finest, Detective Greg King. Problem is, the killer knows she's on the case–and is determined to close the book on Jill permanently...

Lynn Cahoon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,015,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible