Going Places by Paul A. Reynolds

Going Places

by Paul A. Reynolds

Other authors: Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Summary:
Going Places is about a boy whose class is building go-carts for a race. Everyone in his class gets the same box of instructions to build their go-cart. Rafael builds his go-cart as per the instructions, however when he goes to visit his neighbor/classmate, Maya, he notices that she is putting a twist on hers. They agree to work together to create a plane that even though it is made fun of a first helps them win the race. At the end of the story, Maya and Rafael seem to continue with their imaginative ideas and decide to build a frog-hopping go-cart.
Personal Reaction:
I really enjoyed this book. I bought it on a whim at my campus bookstore. I enjoyed how the book seems to be a message to kids to use their creativity to the max. The book’s illustrations also were very important to me because the picture helped move the story along but did not tell the story alone. My favorite illustration was the pages that had all of the go-cart kits with the names of the students on them because it could have been looked over that every student got the same box but it added a new level to the illustration.
Extension Ideas:
1. One idea would be to make a kit with the same things in every box. Give the boxes out to the students and tell them to use what is in the box to create their own creation.
2. Allow for the students to write about what sparks their imagination; for example, if books or T.V. or walking outside.
  CaitlinOH_22 | Feb 9, 2017 |
a boy and a girl build a flying machine to win an race and they win!
3 books
  TUCC | Jan 17, 2017 |
The book "Going Places" is a fiction book about thinking outside the box and pushing yourself to be the best you can. I loved this book. I found the illustrations amazing, they brought the story to life. During the times when the character wasn't being creative the pages were dull but when he was inspired and pushing himself the pages lite up with color and shapes. I enjoyed the writing style of this book. The sentences were not to overwhelmingly long, yet had some challenging vocabulary. I think that the writing style is excellent, the story is light and fun yet not too easy. The big idea of this book was to show that following the crowd is not always a good thing, branching out and thinking outside the box can lead to some amazing things.
  jessclark | Oct 27, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons, but the two that stuck out to me the most were the illustrations and characters, which makes this a great book for young children to read. Starting with the illustrations, the images were all made very vivid and went hand and hand with the text. For example, on one page where the author wrote about the main character studying blueprints to build a go-kart, all of the illustrations throughout that page were made to look like a blueprint and represent the colors you would typically see in a blueprint. This can be super helpful to all types of readers if they may not have the background knowledge on what a blueprint is, the pictures give great insight. Another reason I thoroughly enjoyed this was due to the characters; the two main characters within the story had two very contrasting outlooks on the assigned project in class and I believe it was very similar to the types of students that make up school classrooms today. One the one side you have Rafael, who at first sticks strictly to instructions and will follow through order by order. As an example, the author writes, " The kit came with a set of precise instructions, that made Rafael happy. He was very good at following instructions". Maya on the other hand was more of a free thinker; the author writes, "Maya smiled, "Who said it had to be a go kart"?". These two very different students are a great representative of the children who teachers may deal with in their very own classrooms and a great showcase of different types of thinkers. The big message of this story, is that is ok to be different and to think outside the box is not a bad thing. ( )
  cdovel1 | Sep 12, 2016 |
I liked this book few a few reasons. First the plot of the book was fun because it makes you think of different and creatives ways from everyone else. The two main characters decided to do the project differently from the directions and this made the project stand out from the others because they used their creativity to make it. The other thing is that it pushes readers to think differently about creativity. The other students in the story were making fun of the project saying that that Rafael and Maya could not follow directions and they would lose, but they ended up beating all the coopetition. The book was made to teach the students about the importance of creativity with an interesting story. ( )
  csmith111 | Feb 24, 2016 |

Paul A. Reynoldsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reynolds, Peter H.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Rafael has looked forward to the Going Places contest and builds his go-cart from a kit in record time, but his neighbor, Maya, has a much more interesting and creative idea for her entry and Rafael decides to help.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,141,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible