Beauty and the Mustache by Penny Reid

Beauty and the Mustache

by Penny Reid

There were glimpses of the smart contemporary romance I was expecting but overall this was a bit of a disappointment. I loved the interactions between Ash and her Chicago buds and wanted to know more about her six brothers in Tennessee. But there just wasn’t enough chemistry between Ash and Drew to hold my interest and make me care whether they got together or not. The offbeat characters and light touch of humor have me wanting to read more from this author, maybe a Winston Brothers book or something earlier in her Knitting in the City series. ( )
  wandaly | Oct 25, 2017 |
4.75 stars

I have been recommended this story so many times. I don’t know why I put off reading it for so long. Ashley is a great original character and Drew won my heart. He is so sweet. I adore him. This story was definitely worth my time. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
4.75 stars

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Penny Reid's characters are always extremely appealing. I love every one of the girls in the knitting group. Janie, Elizabeth, Sandra, and now Ashley have all had their stories told and I can't wait for the next one! Ashley was perfect as the only daughter of 7 children who goes back home to Tennessee to tend to her dying mother. We see her at her most vulnerable moments and we see how family and true friendship can keep you going in even the darkest of times. It was beautiful to see her friends rally together in her time of need and to see her begin to bond once again with her brothers. The brothers themselves were a hoot. True southern bearded rednecks who were both adorable and hilarious. Just visualizing a family photo with them all surrounding Ashley makes me chuckle. Then, of course, we have our main man Drew. And he is dishy, if that is a word. I wasn't sure I would be attracted to this character because of the whole facial hair theme but Drew was hot. I was able to completely overlook the fuzz.

The plot was engaging. There was the serious side when dealing with Ashley's dying mom and then her deadbeat dad, the romantic relationship that developed with Drew, and the always present snarky humor that has me laughing out loud every time I read one of these books. From yarn hoarding issues to panty parties, these books are the perfect getaway. You will close every one of them feeling fantastic. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Joint review with Victoria

With you there are only two distances that matter:

Here.

Not here.

You are not here.

- Drew

Karina:

What a glorious read, ladies and gents! I always thought that I'd stay a fan of Janie and Quinn forever, and no other characters will move me as much as they do. Well, I was wrong.

It only took one bearded, banjo playing, Nietzsche quoting poet with a deep love of nature and one fearless nurse with Amazon one-click twitching finger and yarn hoarding tendencies to win me over. In other words, Drew and Ashley were amazing! I laughed, I cried and I lost a piece of my heart to this book.

How about you, V.?

Vika:

I'm with you on this one, K.! For me, it wasn't as much Janie and Quinn, but Sandra and Alex whom I absolutely adore, and though they might still be a number one couple in my book, Ashley and Drew come in at a pretty close second. This book really made me laugh and cry. It was every bit full of life - with its ups and downs, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I think it's truly another gem from Penny Reid and everyone should add it to their must-read-list.

Karina:

I think, Penny's writing went to a new level of awesome. From romantic comedies to something more poignant and touching.

I am always entertained when I read her books, but Beauty and The Mustache was different. All the silliness and laughter were a muted background. Instead it was a homecoming story, a story about coping with loss and re-inventing yourself, about reconnecting with your family and fighting old demons.

And poetry, God! It was slaying me along with Ashley herself. The girl just didn't have a chance against it. For me, this is one of reading highlights of the year. Please, ladies and gents, READ IT. 5 stars

Vika:

Indeed! High praise all around. Now, I'm just curious how Penny Reid will top it off next time, but I have no doubts in her talent. I've already told Karina how thankful I am to her for having turn me onto Penny's books because they are truly delightful and entertaining. And if you are looking for a great contemporary romance series, please look no further and discover these books for yourself - you won't regret it, I promise.

So grab a box of tissues and chocolates and prepare to meet a cast of amazing ladies and their incredible men. It's 5 stars for me as well.

Happy reading! ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |

There are three things you need to know about Ashley Winston: 1) She has six brothers and they all have beards, 2) She is a reader, and 3) She knows how to knit.

Former beauty queen, Ashley Winston's preferred coping strategy is escapism. She escaped her Tennessee small town, loathsome father, and six brothers eight years ago. Now she escapes life daily via her Amazon Kindle one-click addiction. However, when a family tragedy forces her to return home, Ashley can't escape the notice of Drew Runous-- local Game Warden, bear wrestler, philosopher, and everyone's favorite guy. Drew's irksome philosophizing, in particular, makes Ashley want to run for the skyscrapers, especially since he can't seem to keep his exasperating opinions-- or his soulful poetry, steadfast support, and delightful hands-- to himself. Pretty soon the girl who wanted nothing more than the escape of the big city finds she's lost her heart in small town Tennessee.

Penny Reid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,748,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible