Neanderthal Marries Human by Penny Reid

Neanderthal Marries Human

by Penny Reid

Overall, a fun read with main characters enjoyed in first book plus all the side characters. Full-length ( despite series numbering "1.5" ) novel that probably could have been better as a novella.

No huge surprises beyond some family drama raised and some resolved.

The reason I didn't rate higher was a mix of moments that were almost too sappy and other moments that should have been deemed horrid that these characters just breezed right past accepting. By horrid, I don't just mean rationalizing blackmail to get real justice or putting up with family issues.

Fun, but disturbed by some moments. I have more books in series free and library has others so may or may not eventually finish series.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average. Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking. (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews. Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?) ( )
  Spurts | Jul 31, 2017 |
3.5 Stars ****

This was a nice conclusion for Neanderthal!

Deleine | May 10, 2016 |
Janie is an addicting personality and delightful as she continues her role from the first book. Her ability to spew random facts about almost anything is unique and never gets tiring. Her need for proof that love can last and her search for the caring family she never had leads to some of her more humorous ideas and experiments that drive almost everyone crazy. I don't think a chapter went by without my smiling or laughing at the snarky humor offered by one of the many characters, whether it be sexy, brooding Quinn or one of Janie's lively knitting club.

The story is written in dual point of view and alternates between Janie and Quinn. In many books that use this text structure, I find that isn't always successful. However, Penny Reid is able to not only make it work, but make it flow seamlessly from one character to the other, with each chapter complimenting the next. I enjoyed being able to see both sides of their relationship and Quinn's chapters were equally fun to read as I followed his journey to better himself and be more worthy of Janie.

Another aspect I really liked about this book was that, even though it still held onto its quirky, fun nature, it was also deeper in meaning as Janie and Quinn's relationship grew. As I reader, I got to see more into the baggage both carried due to their family relationships (or lack thereof) and how they helped each other to overcome their insecurities, both purposefully and just through their overwhelming love for one another. It holds great themes of love, forgiveness, and letting go.

This is a book that makes you laugh, makes you swoon, and leaves you feeling really good about the world and love in general. Just make sure you have a few hours set aside to read it from beginning to end because you aren't going to want to be distracted until you have finished. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
Joint review with Victoria

Karina:

Awww, this was so romantic and gorgeous, peeps, I got teary-eyed in the end. You had to be really cold-hearted not to! As Penny described it, this is a tribute to fans of Janie & Quinn, and it certainly is. As a die hard fan of the couple, I was ecstatic. We get to see Quinn proposing and the whole shindig with organising a big, fluffy wedding for these two. Lots and lots of fun guaranteed!

Vika:

I couldn't agree more K.! This book is adorable and Janie & Quinn's fans will not be disappointed. I will admit though, I was a little concerned and unsure at first, but as the book progressed I couldn't help but fall in love with these characters all over again. There were laughter and tears, a myriad of emotions, whirlwind of wedding planning, and just so many sweet and touching moments - my heart totally melted!

Karina:

I mean come on, Vika! How could you resist the proposal? Quinn planned everything to a tee, and then Janie went and ruined it all with her nervous spouting of trivia *grinning* It was absolutely enchanting.

As I said, peeps, Quinn proposes, and then Janie panics thinking that they were only together for 5 months and to prove that their relationship is strong they have to have a big, stressful wedding. And she goes all out...

Vika:

Poor Quinn! *laughing* He has his hands full with Janie and her propensity of getting herself into "these" situations. But how could you not love her? She is smart, quirky, and altruistic to a fault, which makes her socially awkward at times, but so lovable. He can't resist, even his surly demeanor and bossiness give way and we get to see a bit of Quinn's softer side.

So expect an unforgettable proposal, a big wedding, and in-between... we get to witness the pre-wedding shenanigans orchestrated by the ladies of the knitting group, including one very hilarious and eventful Vegas bachelorette party - these ladies certainly know how to have a great time! But I'm keeping mum on the details, because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! *winks*

Karina:

Including fat Elvis, right? *giggles* Not only we see softer side to Quinn, we meet his parents for the first time which on its own is a tearjerker. We also find some redeeming qualities in Janie's sister and have an unexpected, wonderful surprise from Nico.

Overall, it's a must read for the fans of Penny Reid, - wonderful, romantic and hilarious. 8.5/10 from me. Highly recommended and can be read after book #1 independent of any other book although it would contain spoilers for book #2 and #3.

Vika:

Yes! This is a great read and I absolutely agree with Karina that you definitely need to read at least the first two books before embarking onto this wedding planning adventure with Janie & Quinn. So guys, if you love contemporary romance and love to laugh you have to read Penny's books! I'm certain you'll love them.

It's 8.5/10 from me as well and it's highly recommended. ( )
  kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
5 beautiful stars

This was sweet, beautiful and just ...

Inessova | Mar 28, 2015 |

Penny Reid is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,982,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible