Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine, #2) by…

Bastian's Storm (Surviving Raine, #2)

by Shay Savage

253428,870 (4)None

Shay comes up with some of the best characters I have ever read. This book has Evan Arden and Sebastian Stark. I think I died and went to readers' heaven. I mean what is it about a guy who straddles the line between 'wanting to be better' and 'past gone bad' that fires up my insides? Yes they have issues obviously.Sometimes it just boiled inside of me.
The fucking anger.

"I don't know that I can control those...those urges. There's a need inside of me to lash out. It's so fucking deep, and I can't explain it; I just know it's there. As far back as I can remember, it's always been there."

If I were ever in a life or death situation, I would want them on my side. This time they are put up against each other. Gasp! But I love both men. This cannot be!

Surviving Raine is Bastian's series so I'm gonna focus on him. Poor guy—Can he still be thought of in that manner after all he has done? I say yes.—So, poor guy just cannot catch a break. He wants to feel normal, to be away from all the bullshit, to have his girl...Really he just wants to go back to the island, where he felt peace, where outside life didn't invade his relationship, where Raine only needed him. He really does love that girl. When a tough killer speaks of someone the way he does of her, it touches me more.With this angle, we could look right into each other's eyes, and I could feel her inside of me as much as I could feel myself inside of her.
I had a whole range of emotions while reading this book, and I welcomed every moment of it.

I appreciate how the men have real grit. I also relish how everything is realistic as it can be. Nothing is over romanticized in this series. The good, bad, ugly, pretty, dirty and clean are all given voice. Of course I'm talking about the living, the surviving, the fighting, etc, but I also am talking about the kid. Usually they overly cute a kid, but it makes the exchange feel unnatural. The kid in this book acts just like real kids do so I liked that.

Basically, I liked every word, and you should read the book. It's one of my top reads for the year.

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2014/07/bastians-storm-by-shay-s... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

He thought their life on the island was perfect, but all that came to an abrupt end when they were rescued. Now back in civilization, a place Bastian tended to avoid before he met Raine, he’s completely lost. She’s going back to school and seeing her friends, and he’s just trying not to slip back into the bottle.

But even in a high-end condo, he can’t escape his past, and when his old associates come calling, he has no choice but to return to the arena, a kill or be killed fight to the death that seems to be the only way he can have any semblance of a life with Raine. Left in a harsh wilderness with one weapon and five opponents to take out, he’s going to have to kill everyone in his way just to get out alive.

The Verdict: I didn’t think I was going to like this one as much as Surviving Raine. After all, that one was more of a twisted love story with an incredibly flawed hero, but this one was clearly going to be more about the fight. Still, I’d waited long enough for this continuation of their story, so I wasn’t going to pass it up. And what do you know? I loved it.

Watching Bastian try to acclimate to normal society was both sad and hilarious. He’s too messed up to be even remotely civil, and he spends his time wanting to punch everyone except Raine. But he’s pretty damned honest about who he is, and while sometimes his attitude is more than a little upsetting, it’s clear he’s no less devoted to Raine than he was on the island. If anything, he’s even more protective of her, and his neediness is sad and endearing.

Of course, once the fight started, I was kind of freaking out. I haven’t yet finished the Evan Arden books, but to know going in that Evan was one of his opponents? I couldn’t imagine how this story could possibly have a happy ending. Either Lia or Raine was going to lose big. Of course, I probably should have had more faith in Shay Savage. Sure, she likes to throw us curve balls, but she’s not into torturing her readers, and the ending (which I soooo want to spoil but won’t) was simply brilliant!

***FicCentral received this book from MAE Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. Even so, we're far too opinionated to let a freebie influence our thoughts or the contents of the reviews we post here. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
I was given a copy of “Bastian’s Storm” by author Shay Savage in exchange for an honest review. I’m also participating in the virtual book tour hosted by houseofmalfunction.com.

*****

This is the second book in the series of Surviving Raine. With not having read the first book, I wasn’t familiar with the storyline nor the characters. However, that didn’t affect the story or getting involved with the characters. Thank goodness the author does a great job filling you giving you a glimpse of what happened in the first book and making sure you are up to speed.

We find Sebastian Stark and his girlfriend Raine in Miami, FL. They have taken up house in a condo on the beach. With Bastian longing for their life back on the island, the beach is somewhat enough to help curve that desire to jump back on a boat and return to that life.

With Raine returning to college to finish up her degree, Bastian is struggling with adapting to normal life. Being a trained fighter and killer, he is always on edge and looking over his shoulder. He knows that at any time his past can come back and haunt him and pull him back into that dark world that he so wanted to escape. To top it all off, he’s fighting his addiction to alcohol. Knowing that if he takes one drink, it could lead to the demise of his relationship with the woman that he loves.

Trying to fit in with Raine’s friends, he finds himself growing irritable and pushed to the point of breaking. Knowing that if he stays around her friends, he going say or react in a negative way, he hops on his bike and takes off to cool down. It’s when he stumbles onto a club that has illegal cage match fights, he finds his sanctuary.

Hoping into the ring, he finds that he can brush up on his fighting skills plus make a little extra money on the side. The only problem is that if Raine discovers this out, he knows she won’t approve and more than likely will leave him. So, he does everything that he can to hide this part of his days.

It’s when his former boss discovers Bastian that everything starts to turn upside-down. With the kidnapping of Raine, discovering he has a son, and that the one person he thought he could somewhat trust betrays him, Bastian is forced back into the world of murder and death match games.

It’s when he finds out that one of his opponents is the best sniper in the world, Evan Arden, Bastian knows that he may be not win this time around. Being dumped off in freezing cold, his only weapon is piano wire. He now has to start taking out all his competition to ensure the survival of the two people that he loves.

Bastian struggles with his past and present issues. He doesn’t know for certain who he can actually trust anymore. Plus, he questions whether this is actually the end of being called into these death matches. Knowing that he will never know for sure, Bastian strikes up a deal with the one person that he never would think he could befriend. Only question is, will this become the biggest mistake of his life?

*****

Granted I hadn’t read the first book in the series, I was still able to follow along pretty smoothly. There was a couple of times that I did struggle with a couple of scenes, but it wasn’t anything to deter me from finishing this book.

Every woman has at some point been attracted to some form or another of a bad boy and that image. With Bastian, he is that ultimate bad boy. He not only has the look of one, but also those skills that could kill a man in the blink of an eye. Having seen the cover art, I had a clear image of what this sexy beast of a man looks like. It made my imagination so much more vivid and sweet when I was reading about those biceps and muscular back.

This book does contain graphic sex, but nothing that was so graphic that I would consider it erotic. To me it just came across as just damn good sex! This book is not meant to be for anyone under the age of 18. ( )
  cbilbo | Jun 30, 2014 |

Sebastian Stark just isn’t cut out for normal life with a girlfriend in the hot and humid city of Miami. All in all, he’d rather be back on the island where it was just the two of them, and he could keep everything in balance. The bar down the street tempts him daily, but he’s determined to remain strong. Adjusting to normal life is difficult, but Bastian is doing his best to keep himself together and the nightmares away. Raine’s happy, and that’s what matters to him the most. But not all nightmares can be driven away. When Bastian’s former mentor comes into the picture and presents him with an ultimatum, Bastian slips into old habits. Though he wants to shield Raine from the truth, the shady circumstances of his past form into a hurricane he can’t control. In an effort to protect her, Bastian has no choice but to throw himself back into his old job – death match tournaments – just one last time. Dropped into the arctic wilderness with weapons loaded, Bastian has to compete against representatives from major crime lords all over the states. He’s studied his competition, he knows their weaknesses, and he’s ready to battle for the woman he loves. There’s only one opponent in the mix that causes him any concern. In order to guarantee Raine’s safety, Bastian will be pitted against the key hit man for Chicago’s largest mob family – a guy who’s known as one hell of a shot. A guy named Evan Arden

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible