Now That You're Here (Duplexity, Part…

Now That You're Here (Duplexity, Part I)

by Amy K. Nichols

Who would have ever guessed the discovery of wormholes between parallel universes would happen in a science's teacher half packed living room in the suburbs of Phoenix, Arizona?

Not me. That's for sure.

Escribir buena ciencia ficción no debe ser un trabajo fácil. No es sólo desarrollar los personajes, sino también crear una trama que, aunque fantasiosa, sea también creíble. Y debe ser especialmente difícil cuando se trata de viajes en el tiempo o entre dimensiones paralelas. Son muchos detalles a los que prestar atención, muchas explicaciones que dar.

Y este libro falla en todas y cada una de esas cosas.

Los personajes son poco creíbles y bastante estereotipados, como hechos con un molde del cual no se pueden salir.

La trama no tiene ningún tipo de fundamento, tenemos una que otra conversación "científica" que intenta ser inteligente pero no lo logra. Y por momentos parece ridiculizada casi intencionalmente, como si se tratara de una comedia muy mala y obvia.

Tenemos viajes interdimensionales que todos creen sin rechistar. Un profesor ex-agente de la NASA experto en teletransportaciones. Persecuciones de la CIA. Una historia de amor que intenta aportar el elemento dramático, como si viajar entre dimensiones no fuese suficientemente dramático de por sí. Familias disfuncionales. Too much. Too fast.

Y, por si fuera poco, un final sin desenlace. Los personajes están hablando y de pronto: FIN.

Sin explicaciones de NADA de lo que ocurre a lo largo de la historia, sin cierre.

Como dije antes, escribir buena ciencia ficción es una tarea difícil. Por lo que me imagino que escribir este libro fue facilisimo.

La parte más triste: realmente quería me gustara :( ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
In a parallel universe, the classic bad boy falls for the class science geek. "The perfect blend of sci-fi and swoons."--Amie Kaufman, New York Times bestselling author of These Broken Stars

One minute Danny was running from the cops, and the next, he jolted awake in an unfamiliar body--his own, but different. Somehow, he's crossed into a parallel universe. Now his friends are his enemies, his parents are long dead, and studious Eevee is not the mysterious femme fatale he once kissed back home. Then again, this Eevee--a girl who'd rather land an internship at NASA than a date to the prom--may be his only hope of getting home.

Eevee tells herself she's only helping him in the name of quantum physics, but there's something undeniably fascinating about this boy from another dimension . . . a boy who makes her question who she is, and who she might be in another place and time.

And don't miss Duplexity, Part II: While You Were Goneflips this story on its head and tells the tale of the alternate Danny and the alternate Eevee, living in Danny's parallel world.
  lkmuir | Nov 30, 2015 |
If you like science, you’ll love this book. This is a science fiction novel about parallel universes.

Danny’s world is one of repression. The government watches them closely, and he and his friend Germ do mildly subversive acts. They discover they are helping a terrorist group, saying this small act will be the only thing they do for them when an explosion occurs and Danny is catapulted into a parallel universe.

Eevee sits in English, her worst subject, bored when the kid next to her suddenly jumps. It’s the bully, Danny. Danny recognizes Eevee from his world and asks for her help. When he explains what happened and Eevee can easily tell this is a totally different person, they become almost inseparable. Danny stays at Eevee’s Dad’s house because the foster home is violent. This is a pretty good life, but Danny misses his mom and dad and his best friend; but, if he leaves, he must leave Eevee. This Eevee is worth knowing; the Eevee from his world is not such a nice person.

I enjoyed the book. This is Part I; part II takes place in the alternate universe where you meet the other Danny and the other Eevee. The science was interesting and made me wonder if this could really occur and may make you want to do your own research. ( )
  acargile | Oct 30, 2015 |
I loved this book! It took me a little longer than normal to get into it, but, then, I could NOT put it down. It was amazing! As soon as I finished it, I started reading the second book. ( )
  eheinlen | Oct 26, 2015 |
Ok, seriously I have tried to read this book about three times now. I first time I was not feeling it at all. So I stopped after about 5 chapters. Then I saw other people raving about this book and so I decided to try again. Nope it was not happening for me. Nothing about this other world excited me. Also, I found Danny and Eevee boring. Plus, what is with all of the talking. I need more action and adventure. Lastly, I tried this book again only this time I skipped ahead some and read some more. Nothing new had changed, There was still a lot of talking and I was still not intrigued by the characters and what was happening to them. ( )
  Cherylk | Nov 17, 2014 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,026,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible