Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

Mortal Danger

by Ann Aguirre

1991859,063 (3.17)1

-- Want to know if the whole series is worth reading? Read my overall review of the whole series at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

If I wasn't buddy reading this novel, I probably would have DNF'd it.

This story just moved too slowly for me to truly enjoy it. I just felt like we were in the exposition wayyyy too long with this one and that nothing was really happening. It takes Edie a long time to get involved in the "game" and by the time she gets there, I really didn't care anymore. Add to the fact that everything seemed to be overly and unnecessarily complicated.

While I sympathize with Edie because she was bullied, there really isn't much too her as a character. Her plan for revenge is never really elaborated on and she doesn't come across as the brightest. I guess Kian was supposed to handle most of it with her wishes but that was never really clear to me. I just wanted more from her.

Not even the romance saved this one!

Full Review: http://wp.me/p7hLUw-1oe
Actual Rating: 2/5
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
It's the whole Faustian bargain thing done for YA (which has been done before). The good news is, it was MUCH better than the last book I read with the same basic plot-line; "Another Faust." At best, the story had enough twists to keep it interesting. At worst, it used one of my least favorite YA tropes: teenagers who love classic movies and know too much "Casablanca" trivia. ( )
  Kaytron | Feb 28, 2017 |
I'm going to preface by saying that I did not finish this book. I couldn't. By the time I got about half way through I was falling asleep reading it.... and not because I was staying up until the wee hours of the morning trying to finish because I was SO EXCITED. No.

This book has a lot of potential, but unfortuately the clicheness of it just got the best of it. I really, really enjoyed Edie's character before her tranformation but by her first favor making her into almost a completely different person physically I was already on the downward slide of this book relationship.

I just hate how everything in how in this book was based on how AWESOME HER LIFE IS NOW THAT SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I just can't. I don't like Kian. I don't like the Teflon crew. I don't like her parents. I just don't like any of the characters in this book. I hated the turn it took when she found out more about Kian's boss and the organization.

I just can't.

I will do my best to eventually try to finish this book so I can know how it ends (or at least very least try to find some spoilers.. someone message me! ;-). But I can most definitely say I won't be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
In the beginning of this book, Edie is on a bridge, preparing to commit suicide. Kian stops her with an intriguing offer - three favors now in return for three favors later. She has the opportunity to ask for three things within 5 years and then the company will ask for three things in return. She is intrigued, yet frightened. He can't give her many details at first, until she agrees and even then he is fairly cryptic. All she knows for sure is there is magic involved and she has to decide right away. Edie is aware of the dangers of deals such as these (monkey's paw anyone?), but in the end, she agrees.

I love Kian and Edie's relationship. It's great that he fell in love with her in her imperfect form, before the makeover (her first favor). She was teased mercilessly in school to the point where she felt worthless and unwilling to go on. He makes her realize that she is important. I loved watching Edie evolve into a more confident person and seeing how it changed her relationships with others, even her parents.

I really enjoyed this book. The bullying/revenge angle combined with the immortal game is very cool. The way they explain the immortals is very interesting and something I have heard of, but I haven't seen it used like this.

Recommended to:
Young adults who enjoy school stories involving demons/immortals with a touch of romance. This book takes the high school clique experience and bullying to the next level. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Hannah Harkey: A thrilling and terrifying story, yet the character felt rather helpless throughout; never capable of combating the danger she faced, and never bargaining with her own potential. ( )
  LaPhenix | Dec 19, 2015 |

Agreeing to join the mysterious Kian's magical faction to exact revenge on a group of bullies who have tormented her, Edie transforms into a beautiful girl and begins to sabotage the bullies' inner circle only to discover dark truths about Kian's world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible