Talon (The Talon Saga) by Julie Kagawa

Talon (The Talon Saga)

by Julie Kagawa

Firelight by Sophie Jordan (becksdakex, Anonymous user)
    becksdakex: Dragongirl and dragonhunter love...
    Anonymous user: Many readers point out Julie Kagawa's Talon is so similar in plot to Sophie Jordan's Firelight, it appears Kagawa plagiarized Firelight.

A while back, I heard Julie Kagawa was coming to my town to sign her books, so I decided to put my name down for it - even though I had only read one of her books (The Iron King). I had been planning on reading one of her other series (preferably the one about dragons) before she came here, so I purchased both the first and second book of Talon (Talon and Rogue). But as 30 October crept closer and closer, I thought to myself I would never be able to finish them before that date. I still got them signed, and decided I would definitely read them in November. And so I picked up Talon a couple of days ago.

Personally, I hadn't really enjoyed The Iron King that much, because it was a story about fairies mostly and they are not really my favourite mythological creatures. Dragons, however, are amazing. I loved them in Harry Potter, I loved them in Tolkien's world, and I really want to love them in Eragon too (but I can't get through that book, sorry). So yeah, I really hoped I would love Talon. And I honestly did!

Talon is about Ember and Dante Hill who are sleeper dragons. Dragons who change into humans and live amongst us. They are placed in a little town in California for a sort of holiday before the real job starts. Unfortunately, their enemy, 'Bloody' St. George has found out where they are, and hunts them down. Because dragons are dangerous, dragons need to be killed. Or are they?

This book is told from a dual perspective (Ember and Garrett) throughout the first half, and gets a third POV (Riley) added in the second half. Honestly, I didn't really mind it that much, because I wanted to know more about these characters. They each had their own chapters, and their names were above the chapters as well, which made it less confusing. It also made the story a lot more interesting, because we got to read not only from a dragon's perspective, but also from the perspective of someone from St. George.

I liked Ember, and Garrett also even though I also didn't like him mainly for being a St. George soldier. But I liked reading about them, and that's all that matters - if you don't like reading from someone's perspective, the story will probably get a lot more annoying to read imo. I liked Dante as well, but later on in the story I started to doubt him more and more. And I was right, he turned out to be a Talon's boy through and through, such a shame. As for Riley, I honestly didn't know what to think about him at the beginning of the story, but I kind of like him now. It may have to do with the fact he had a POV in the second part of the book.

The thing I liked most about this story was that Ember (and Dante for that matter) already knew she was special. She already knew she was a dragon, and there wasn't 'but I can't be a *mythological creature*, I have always been a normal person! I have very normal parents! I AM NORMAL!'. No Ember knew she was a dragon from the start, she knew she was dangerous and could kill someone with one strike of her claws. I loved that!

What I didn't like that much was the sort of instalove that happened between some characters, and the fact that there was a bit of a hint to a love-triangle. Two things I really despise, but that didn't really make me hate the book more. In fact, I loved it. And no amount of love-triangle, instalove, blah blah blah could change my opinion (although I am scared for the next book). Julie's writing is just very nice, and I enjoyed reading every bit. There were some funny parts (like a tiny mention of Tolkien and someone quoted something from Shrek (SHREK!).

Anyway, if you love to read a young adult story about dragons, where the main character already knows she's special, go and read Talon! Just do it!

My opinion on this book in one gif:

(yes I saw a chance, and I took it with both claws). ( )
  october.tune | Nov 15, 2017 |
Talon is told through a young dragon's point of view named Ember, who also has a brother named Dante. They both belong to the organization of Talon, which is controlled by the Elder Wyrm, the oldest dragon in the world. They go through training later to act human.
Then Ember meets this Dude named Garret. Garret is part of this order called the Order of Saint George. They hang out and get romantic until Ember is leaving. When she leaves she's ambushed by St. George.Then Garret sees her true form and has her meet him on this cliff, where he holds her at gunpoint. She beats him and leaves him alive and later helps her escape, which caused him to become a traitor to his group.
Talon is a pretty good read overall, with a few different things that happen. Also, I think its pretty good with the love triangle, the different things like the fights, and the hidden dragon origination idea. I liked it for the fantazy too. ( )
  LoganC.B4 | Oct 24, 2017 |
Wonderful, imagery was exceptional and the concept is perfect. Excited for the next chapter. ( )
  Beary_Bookwormish | May 22, 2017 |
Loved the writing style ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
You know how there are groups out there shunning YA literature saying it's trope-y, stereotypical trash? I'm pretty sure this was one of the books they were reading.

I realize that is harsh but this book was so stupid. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |

To the outside world Ember Hill is an ordinary girl, but Ember has a deadly secret. A dragon hiding in human form, she is destined to fight the shadowy Order of St. George, a powerful society of dragonslayers.

St. George soldier Garret is determined to kill Ember and her kind. Until her bravery makes him question all he’s been taught about dragons.

Now a war is coming and Garret and Ember must choose their sides – fight to save their bond or fulfil their fate and destroy one another.

Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they're positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser. Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George. Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon's newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey--and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember's bravery, confidence and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the Order has ingrained in him--and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,008,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible