The Jewel by Amy Ewing

The Jewel

by Amy Ewing

English (36)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All (38)
Violet Lasting lives in the Marsh, one of the five circles of a city. After a DNA test she is taken to a training camp to learn the Auguries, a genetic quirk that give you the power to change colors, shapes, and control growth. Violet is training to be a surrogate. When her day comes, she and her friend Raven get their lot numbers and are taken to the center of the city, The Jewel. There they are sold in an auction, to bear the royalty's children. Violet is bought by the Duchess of the Lake, who is desperate for a daughter to engage to the Elector's son. Making friends and enemies, Violet figures out her place in the Jewel. She meets an unlikely lady-in-waiting who is a man, who has a way to get her out. She falls in love with a companion who is meant for a royalty, and she tries to save her friend Raven, who was bought by a cruel woman, who likes to experiment.

I would recommend this book to those who like forbidden love, plot twisters, and dark stories. I myself just picked it out at the library randomly, but it turns out it was quite good. I enjoyed the mystery and plot change. It is a trilogy, so if you like this you should read the rest. It is a cliffhanger, so you really would want the next one. It was a bit mushy, but a lot better than Twilight so I would have some of my friends try it. I would rate this book four and a half stars. ( )
  PiperP.G1 | Oct 11, 2017 |
I am not sure what I thought this was about, but this caught me off guard when I started reading it. I was not expecting what happened at all. This is about girls who are sold to the wealthy as surrogates. This definitely surprised me and I will definitely continue with the series…Especially with that ending!!! ( )
  SimplyKelina | Sep 23, 2017 |
It's [b: The Handmaid's Tale|38447|The Handmaid's Tale|Margaret Atwood|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1294702760s/38447.jpg|1119185] for teens...and I'm not sure how I felt about this book. The brutality forced upon these girls in such an intimate and yet clinical manner. I mean the protagonist is literally sold as a slave on an auction block, used for her "special abilities" and uterus with very little gratitude from her "owner".

The characters are fine, by that I mean one can tell the good guys from the bad, though there is a nice twist at the end of this one, and as others have noted it does leave you hanging... I just wish the subject matter had been handled with more deftness. I hope that it will show in the next installment. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
Hello. If you've found this review, perhaps you are wondering why I appear so irked by this book. Giving it one star, and all.

Well, it's because MARGARET ATWOOD already wrote this book. Also, the girl on the cover, yeah, she is way too well-dressed to be a slave.

Some books do not need a dumbed-down romance version with a bunch of silly tropes. The Handmaid's Tale is one of those books*. It is a serious treatment of a serious subject. Why is there a need to publish a glossy new version with girls in pretty dresses?

I have nothing against YA. I love YA. Some YA is wonderful. This book, though, this one has ALREADY BEEN WRITTEN. Read the fucking original. It will make you smarter.

Thank you.

*I just realized that they have made this a trilogy. A trilogy. Margaret Atwood was able to tell this story in a single, classic, amazing book that is still studied in high school and college courses. Why is this a trilogy? Are we now at the point where YA publishers are unable to publish anything that isn't a series? ( )
1 vote moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Shades of The Selection by Kiera Cass, with a much darker undertone. A very quick read and an endearingly captivating heroine who alternates between accepting her fate as a surrogate and wanting to rebel. I can't wait to read what happens next for Violet. ( )
  scatlett | Nov 28, 2016 |
Für Jess.
Für alles.
Heute ist mein letzter Tag als Violet Lasting.

The Selection meets The Handmaid's Tale in this darkly riveting debut filled with twists and turns, where all that glitters may not be gold.

The Jewel means wealth, the Jewel means beauty—but for Violet, the Jewel means servitude.

Born and raised in the Marsh, Violet finds herself living in the Jewel as a surrogate at the estate of the Duchess of the Lake. Addressed only by her number—#197—Violet is quickly thrown into the royal way of life. But behind its opulent and glittering facade, the Jewel hides its cruel and brutal truth, filled with violence, manipulation, and death.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her life . . . all while trying to stay alive. But before she can accept her fate, Violet meets a handsome boy who is also under the Duchess's control, and a forbidden love erupts. But their illicit affair has consequences, which will cost them both more than they bargained for. And toeing the line between being calculating and rebellious, Violet must decide what, and who, she is willing to risk for her own freedom.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:14 -0400)

Violet, a poor girl from the outer city, finds forbidden romance and uncovers brutal secrets when, after three years of training, she is purchased by a royal family as a surrogate mother for royal children.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,582 books! | Top bar: Always visible