Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica

Child of a Hidden Sea

by A.M. Dellamonica

Series: Hidden Sea Tales (1)

3.5 stars... rounded up here. It was a solidly good story. Entertaining for sure. I gave it the half star for creativity and the sciencey bits with new species and geo-bio-diversity. Didn't give it the full star for the gigantic, unbelievable leap the main character made in accepting the time/space/magic travel. For a very scientific mind, her ready adjustment to what was right in front of her seemed too quick to me. I know it would have derailed the story, but it was a point that irritated me. Now I have to go back and watch more Doctor Who to see why the companions' acceptance of the Tardis didn't irritate me as much as Sophie's acceptance of Stormwrack. Plenty of open ends begging for a sequel. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
This sea-faring alternative world fantasy starts out in modern day San Francisco where Sophie has gone to meet her birth mother and ends somewhere else. Just exactly where that is, is unknown. It seems like Earth, but it isn't the same. The plants are similar, but not the same. The animals are similar, but not the same, and some of them are so very different as to make Sophie think that she isn't even on Earth anymore. The plot is full of action and deeds of daring do, and the characters are sympathetic. Family appears and parents and children are united for the first time. It isn't a tear-jerker, but it is hopeful and engaging. The author doesn't spend too much time in world-building and gets right on with the story, making this an easy book to in which to become involved. ( )
  benitastrnad | Nov 29, 2016 |
In search of her biological parents, Sophie Hansa discovers that there is much more to her heritage than she expected. As she attempts to protect her new-found aunt from assassins, Sophie unexpectedly becomes her heir and is transported to a hidden world that exists parallel to Earth and is ruled by the power of magic, greed and deception. This book only touches on the lives of a memorable cast of characters and begs for a sequel. A great read. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Nov 14, 2016 |
I really thought I was going to like this a whole lot more than I did. I even had the sequel checked out from the library to read. Just did't grab me. Sorry.

Tags: 2016-read, don-t-want-to-rate, fantasy, magic, read, thank-you-charleston-county-library, thought-i-was-gonna-like, tor
  bookczuk | Feb 22, 2016 |
Great fun! I challenge you to read this book and come away from it without wishing that you, too, could acquire a travel pass to the world of Stormwrack!

Sophie Hansa, 24, is procrastinating about defending her thesis, feeling a bit like she's in her brilliant younger brother's shadow, and having a bit of existential ennui. In an attempt to contact her birth family (she's adopted), she gets a bit stalker-ish... and then ends up accidentally catapulted into a world other than our own - and into the midst of a huge mess encompassing family drama, lawsuits, trade agreements, magical curses and even murder. The plot's fast-paced and twisty, and I enjoyed Sophie's reactions, her scientific and natural curiosity and her modern, progressive sensibilities.

The whole thing is not just fantasy in the genre sense, but also in the wish-fulfillment sense. However, I have zero problem with that. It reminded me of a more mature version of any number of childhood favorites in the 'portal fantasy' genre - it's not nearly as juvenile as the cover art might indicate.

Stormwrack - an archipelago world which may or may not be a far-future Earth - has a near-infinite number of cultures and settings, with hundreds of independent island-nations. It's got a lot of potential for future books - I hope to get the opportunity to go back and visit again! This was the second book I've read by Dellamonica, but I feel that here, she's really hit her stride.

Copy provided by NetGalley. Much appreciation for the opportunity to read. As always, my opinions are unaffected by the source. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
A solid, enjoyable book, entirely appreciable on its own while setting up interesting hooks for future installments. I'd happily read novels entirely set in the well-built world of Erinth, untranslated by an Erstwhiler's gaze.
added by ShelfMonkey | editNPR

While Sophie’s relationship with Stormwrack and its people develops slowly, her amazement at this new world and its varied fauna is shared in a satisfying manner that leaves the reader looking forward to the next instalment.

A.M. Dellamonicaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ortiz, KarlaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jessica Reisman, who navigates the same stormy waters
Sinking.

Sophie Hansa had barely worked out that she was falling before she struck the surface of an unknown body of water.

The world is Stormwrack, a series of island nations with a variety of cultures and economies—and a language different from any Sophie has heard.

But Sophie is stubborn, and smart, and refuses to be cast adrift by people who don’t know her and yet wish her gone. With the help of a sister she has never known, and a ship captain who would rather she had never arrived, she must navigate the shoals of the highly charged politics of Stormwrack, and win the right to decide for herself whether she stays in this wondrous world...or is doomed to exile, in Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:55 -0400)

"One minute, twenty-four-year-old Sophie Hansa is in a San Francisco alley trying to save the life of the aunt she has never known. The next, she finds herself flung into the warm and salty waters of an unfamiliar world. Glowing moths fall to the waves around her, and the sleek bodies of unseen fish glide against her submerged ankles. The world is Stormwrack, a series of island nations with a variety of cultures and economies--and a language different from any Sophie has heard. Sophie doesn't know it yet, but she has just stepped into the middle of a political firestorm, and a conspiracy that could destroy a world she has just discovered...her world, where everyone seems to know who she is, and where she is forbidden to stay. But Sophie is stubborn, and smart, and refuses to be cast adrift by people who don't know her and yet wish her gone. With the help of a sister she has never known, and a ship captain who would rather she had never arrived, she must navigate the shoals of the highly charged politics of Stormwrack, and win the right to decide for herself whether she stays in this wondrous world...or is doomed to exile"--… (more)

A.M. Dellamonica is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible