Inked Armor by Helena Hunting

Inked Armor

by Helena Hunting

Series: Clipped Wings (May 2014 - book 2)

Well, this book was a big bag of NOPE for me. I didn't finish it; I dutifully read until 21%, realized that I just couldn't, skimmed the next few chapters, and just said fuck it, life's too short for bad fiction.

Basically, at the end of the first book in the series, we the readers (AND Hayden, the male protagonist) are led to believe that Tenley is kidnapped against her will and is being held, also against her will, by her brother-in-law-ish. I can't even remember his name, LOL. And it turns out that she was kind of forced to go with him, but she wasn't being held against her will at all. Too bad she didn't think to tell Hayden this, who already has severe abandonment issues from his parents being killed. She couldn't be fussed for THREE WEEKS to even text him to tell him that she was okay because she said if she talked to him at all she would just come back home and not take care of the things she needed to take care of there. WTF. She let this poor guy think that she was abducted for THREE WEEKS, even though she texted multiple other friends in their circle (which none of the friends told Hayden, either), because she didn't have enough willpower to stay in her hometown otherwise? What a selfish jackass.

Her interactions with her brother-in-law-ish were presented as insurmountable and almost impossible to solve in the previous book as well, but she manages, somehow, to take care of everything in like a chapter and a half. LOL What the flying fuck.

And then she wonders why Hayden isn't at home waiting for her once she returns, unannounced, three weeks after not having any contact with him and letting him think the worst.

Nope, nope, nope. Do not want. ( )
  schatzi | May 19, 2017 |
I loved Clipped Wings, but this book was even better!

We got to see Tenley deal with her past, while Hayden struggled with being left behind.

When they reunite it is a back and forth struggle. Tenley wants Hayden to understand her motives behind leaving, but Hayden is hurting. Sexual tension is thick and emotions run high.

The intense feels you get from this book are one of a kind. When Tenley and Hayden told more about their pasts... my heart ached for them. The passion between them is real and it's almost as if they need one another to be able to live.

While the book is focused on dark pasts and new beginnings, it also brings family and friendships into the picture. It shows that with loved ones around you can survive the darkest of days.

I loved the ending. Everyone got what they deserved and in mind I was screaming WOOOHOOO!

Definitely recommend this read. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
Inked Armor (Clipped Wings #2) by Helena Hunting, was an OK book and a fitting ending to the story of Hayden and Tenley. I was very happy to see a resolution to the death of Hayden’s parents, as I hate open story threads. Overall the book had just way too much angst, guilt, PTSD, vulnerability, abandonment issues and insecurity for me. This book mainly focused on Hayden and Tenley’s relationship, with the previous supporting cast have far less page time. The one character who did have a more expanded roll in this book was Nate, Cassie’s husband. There were some nice get together scenes during the holidays, showing the support structure that the young adults had with Cassie and Nate.

Tenely found the closure she needed for Connor and her families deaths far faster than Hayden found his. The book actually ends with Hayden working on his issues in counseling, over 7 years after his parents deaths. I didn't see Hayden as being so fragile when reading Clipped Wings, in this book it didn't take much to send him over the deep abyss into emotional trauma. He associated Tenely’s return with Trey for the anniversary of Connor’s death, to the abandonment and guilt he felt over his parent death. The road to rebuilding Hayden and Tenely’s relationship was a long one.

This book didn't have as much humor, witty one liners, or masculine strength as the first book had. Tenely seemed to have to be the strong part of the couple in this book. The sex in the story was tame, tasteful and supportive to the storyline, never distracting from the books plot, but seemed to be used to resolve the relationship issues Vs actual communication, and facing the problems head on. There was some minimal growth on the part of the H/h, especially for Hayden.

The HEA was satisfying but not unexpected.

Overall this was a 2.75-3.0 star read for me, maybe I’m just too old and far removed for the drama of the twenty something crowd to have appreciated this book. I never found myself clinging to the storyline, the book seemed like a long read for me.

I received an ARC edition from NetGalley, on behalf of Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books in exchange for my honest review. Expected publication date May 13, 2014

Side note: as with the first book - out of all of the “unedited” ARC copies I have received over time from Publisher’s – this was the worst kindle formatting I have ever seen. Letters in words were two to full lines separated in the bulk of the book, or all jammed together with no spaces at all and this was very distracting
  kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
This is another outstanding book from Helena Hunting! I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw that this book was coming out. This is an emotional rollercoaster of a read and does not disappoint the reader at all in the end. ( )
  gromine | Jul 2, 2014 |
***ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review***

Fantastic conclusion to Tenley and Hayden's story. From the first time I met Tenley and Hayden I was swept up into their story. I loved who these two were. My heart ached for both of them. However, I don't think I had fully grasped how broken these two were. Crazy, I know. It's clear that these two are survivors in the horrific things they have been through. But I was shocked on how much they fell apart when they weren't together.

I love Hayden. But I was so surprised to see him become so broken. I just didn't expect it to be the way it was. I understand it though. He has held in so much for so long. With the things he dealt with in the book with his parents death, I couldn't help but hurt for him.

Tenley was a lot stronger in this book. I love that she finally stood up for herself.I have to say the way she handled everything thrown at her made sense. These two when finally over their separation were just as great together as they have always been. I loved seeing how they helped heal one another.

I wish their had been more details about Hayden's parent's murder. I would have liked to see more of that part of the story. Not the death.. You know it's just hard to explain what I mean. But I feel like the end was a little rushed. ( )
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |

Helena Huntingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carpenter, JasonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Louise, ElizabethNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kato, this one's for you.
TENLEY
At 6:23 in the morning, the front door opened downstairs and the security system let out a chirp, signaling Trey's arrival.

"Inked Armor is an emotional New Adult love story that follows the touch-and-go relationship of Hayden and Tenley; two people who desperately want to love and be loved but are afraid to completely let go of their pasts"--

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible