Withstanding Me (Breakneck, #2) by Crystal…

Withstanding Me (Breakneck, #2)

by Crystal Spears

4.25 STARS

I am not sure where to start. This book is still on my mind days after reading it! It went so fast, I couldn’t believe I finished it! I haven’t read the first book, which I plan to very soon. I am in love with this genre or maybe just the author. Who knows!

There is nothing better than love and war! And not the war you think! Biker gang war. I never thought I would like something like this! I will admit, I had a hard time in the beginning. I get these are bikers, but the language (not the swearing) was hard for me to get used to. I am a grammar Nazi. So the usage of improper grammar bugged me at first. I eventually got over it. It fit the characters. If it would have been written in perfect English then the characters would have lost their appeal.

There is much going on in this book. Rival biker gangs at war. Russian mobsters coming for lives. No one knows who to trust. Throw in some love interests. Shake it all up and you have one rip-roaring, can’t put the book down kind of book!

The relationships in this book are realistic. Believable. Lovable. There isn’t a character I didn’t like. I don’t think I was supposed to, was I? If so, I couldn’t tell! The list of characters makes up one big family who knows the true meaning of family. They all would lay down their lives for one another.

When things really get rip-roaring in this story, you find yourself forgetting that you are reading a book. It is like watching a movie in your head! I just can’t explain it! I really don’t want to explain it because then I would be giving away many secrets that would ruin it for you!

All in all, this is a book I would recommend to just about anyone I know that likes to read—no matter what their preference! I am looking forward to reading the previous book in this series! ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
Can I just say I ABSOLUTELY FUCKING LOVE THIS SERIES !!!!!!

More of a review to come during blog Tour :) ( )
  Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
When you pick up Withstanding Me be prepared to withdrawal from the real world and sit on your ass until you finish it. It's the only way. There is so much going on that you can't put it down! I'm a newbie to the Breakneck series, but everyone was gushing about it so I just had to read it! Let me tell you, if you are not prepared for or have not read about motorcycle clubs then this will be a culture shock for you. It was for me, and I was a little put off at first. But then it just draws you in. I got so invested in each of the members' lives that I could not stop reading. The momentum in Withstanding Me did not stop, it swings from one dilemma to the next. Even though I knew nothing about MCs, I didn't feel that I was left in the dark. There is enough back story and development that I got the gist of the norm within Breakneck.

We start off with ZZ, a gruff, badass member who was a father at 13. Dealing with his errant daughter, rival clubs, and Russians is more than his stress level can handle. He wants to alleviate that stress the only way he knows how... sex. Anyone woman would work, but he wants Storm. Storm may have lived a fucked up life up until now, but she refuses to ever have sex again without deeper feelings being attached to it. ZZ on the other hand can't look past the shit world he lives in, and can't believe a feeling such as love exists, nor does he want to engage in it if it did. These two have so much chemistry on pages that it almost hurt to read sometimes. They want each other, but they won't fulfill the complete needs of one another.

Withstanding Me had me on the verge of tears, laughing then cringing and all around completely absorbed. It is completely unforgiving in its portrayal of motorcycle clubs and the lives of their members. These women and men play hard, love hard and fight hard. They protect each other at any cost. There are some gruesome scenes, but it just plays into the reality of the book. If you are not a fan of violence, cussing, sex, and crude humor then you may not want to pick this one up. BUT, you will be missing out. This is not just a couples story, there are ongoing story arcs and several secondary plots that I'm sure will play out later in the series. Ms. Spears builds a gritty, merciless world with characters that are so honest and raw. It blurs the line between fiction and reality, I could definitely see this as a life people lead and it was very insightful. I will be recommending this book and the rest of the series to anyone who will listen. Seize Me (Breakneck #1) is already out, so you may want to start with that, if this series intrigues you. I will say that, there are story arcs that connect the books, but starting with Withstanding Me I didn't really feel left out. However, when given the chance you should always start at the beginning :)

Happy Reading! ( )
  EmilyMcGee | Oct 13, 2013 |
Same issues as with the first book in this series - Seize Me

Poor punctuation and grammatical errors. Didn't make the story unreadable though.
Not riddled with numerous sub-plots like Seize Me.

Story was smoother read.

3.5 stars ( )
  carrielynn819 | Sep 30, 2013 |
As a guilty pleasure MC book... this was not a bad read. I liked the two main characters together and ZZ's ridiculous made me snort more than once.

However, the editing of this book is pretty terrible. I kept getting thrown out of the reading because of typos. My personal favorite is when a bride and groom "said their vowels" in front of the church.

Also, the biker hero in this has a peen piercing I'm not afraid to admit that I found truly terrifying. ( )
  f_ing_kangaroo | Sep 29, 2013 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,936,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible