Talk Sweetly to Me by Courtney Milan

Talk Sweetly to Me (2014)

by Courtney Milan

Rose Sweetly has no problem calculating complex numbers and understanding complex theories in astronomy but when it comes to understanding just what is happening between her and her handsome neighbour, Stephen Shaughnessy, she's much less certain. Given the difficulties of his reputation and the daily struggles Rose faces due to the colour of her skin, can they ever have more than just discussions about math?

A very sweet novella that wrapped up the Sinister Brothers series that I devoured in less than two hours. Stephen's wry humour cracked me up and I immediately loved Rose. A great final entry in the series. ( )
  MickyFine | Jan 4, 2016 |
"" ( )
  b00kworm72 | Sep 1, 2015 |
Originally posted at The Bookaholic Cat

Talk Sweetly to Me is the last installment in the Brothers Sinister series by Courtney Milan.

Rose Sweetly’s is not an ordinary woman; first, she is smarter than most men in an era where women are expected to be nothing more than mothers and wives. Secondly, she is of African descent, a black woman in a racist society plagued with prejudices. Despite those limitations Rose does what she loves, she works for an astronomer doing mathematical calculations.
Rose might be an analytical woman, but that doesn’t mean she cannot admire her neighbor, the known rake, Stephen Shaughnessy.
Stephen knows he doesn’t have the best reputation, he writes a scandalous column for a women’s newspaper and has well-earned fame as a rake. Stephen has always liked women, but has never been intrigued by one as he is by Rose Sweetly. He loves the way she looks and loves the way her mind works.
Stephen wants Rose in his life and is willing to do anything to win her heart, even if that means learning mathematics.

I liked Stephen in The suffragette Scandal (book 4th in the series), but I adored him in this book. Stephen is a good man. He has a big heart and he’s very caring. He’s funny, smart, witty, honest and sinfully handsome. I loved how he was able to see the real Rose and how he was there for her when she needed him most.

Rose is one of those heroines that are very easy to like and to admire. She is not just an intelligent woman, she is a genius. She is caring, strong and reserved. She knows she has to be more careful than most because of her race, notwithstanding the limitations society has placed on her, she has a good life and is successful at what she does.

Rose and Stephen had already met when the story starts. Rose likes Stephen from afar, she knows there are many factors against them and a relationship between them will be almost an impossibility, for that reason she tries to keep her distance from him. Something very difficult to do with a man as persistent as Stephen.
Stephen knows what he wants and he wants Rose. He’s a dreamer and doesn’t worry unnecessarily. He doesn’t consider the discrimination Rose experiences until he sees it first hand.
Their romance is sweet and fun. Their mathematical banter is hilarious, it made for very interesting scenes. Seeing them fall in love was a very nice and fun treat.
Rose and Stephen know their future won’t be an easy one; a mixed-race couple in the 1880s is not a normal occurrence, but they are together and willing to fight for their love. They know that together they are stronger than alone.

As with previous books in this series Mrs. Milan gives us strong characters and social problems of the time.
Talk Sweetly to Me is the first historical romance I read with a black heroine and I can only hope more writers follow Mrs. Milan example. Kudos to her for her originality and for giving us an interracial couple in a historical romance book. *applauds*

Talk Sweetly to Me can be easily read as a standalone, but I recommend you to read previous books first, especially The suffragette Scandal (book 4th in the series) where Stephen was first introduced.

I’m sad to see this series come to an end, but I’m happy Mrs. Milan ended it with such a cute couple as Rose and Stephen. ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Courtney Milan is my least favorite person.*

*Lies. Lies. All lies. The day one of her books doesn't make me cry is a day I don't want to see. ( )
1 vote dukedukegoose | Jan 26, 2015 |
Sweetly done!

A lovely novel with a whimsically clever title that manages to discuss women's rights, racism, inter-racial relations and the recognition of love.
Rose is a charming, clever and strong woman.
Stephen Shaunassey is a man with a reputation who finds himself pierced by Rose's intellect and comeliness.
A pleasing novella!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Sep 7, 2014 |
For Lucas, my partner in crime, clock-breaking, and quantum mechanics.
There was no way for Miss Rose Sweetly to set down her packages.

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible