The Wrenchies by Farel Dalrymple

The Wrenchies

by Farel Dalrymple

I really wanted to like this one. But I just couldn't make it happen. :/ ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Release Date: September 16, 2014
ARC received from First Second via NetGalley

I hate writing reviews for books I didn’t enjoy when I receive advanced readers copies. The Wrenchies are a gang of teens living in a post-apocalyptic, dystopian future that is all out war with creatures reminiscent of zombies and vampires. It seems there are only teens and cross breed people/creatures. The Wrenchies are reading a comic about themselves that is actually written from our current time and stumbled upon by them in the future. As we read we learn through backstory how the world came to be ravaged and how magic and one individual played a part in its collapse. The Wrenchies and some new comrades (some sought and some magically introduced) are on a mission to make the world more livable.

The Wrenchies are drawn in a sick disgusting way reminiscent of teenage Garbage Pail Kids. I actually thought the landscapes were very well drawn, but the characters were so repulsive it was hard to turn the pages. This is a confusing story that is hard to make sense of between the time travel, the flashbacks, the magic, alien abduction, the monsters, and wondering if the characters are actually sane or not. The foul language, gore, and drug use by adults and teens in this graphic novel make it more suitable for much older teens if not adults. Also, there seems to be an underlying social commentary that the author is trying to establish about our world and the chaos within it that I feel this book has a very limited audience. It takes patience to not only process what is happening in the book, but piece it together and assemble the story. There is just too much going on to enjoy; this is NOT a seamless story. I don’t know who to recommend it to because it is just too hard to imagine for whom the story is written. I would pass on this book unless you like a science fiction challenge and are not easily grossed out. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Release Date: September 16, 2014
ARC received from First Second via NetGalley

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Dark, nightmarish, intense, and visually stunning. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I'm by no means a prude, when it comes to violence in literature. I read spy novels, thrillers, war novels, supernatural stories... I'm even a big fan of the TV show Supernatural. That said, violence that serves no purpose, and comes accompanied by a shallow story line, is just a bit much for me. If you desire a story solely about violence, then by all means, this is the story for you. However, if you seek an interesting story line... keep looking. On a more positive note, the illustrations are pretty good. ( )
  bearlyr | Apr 7, 2015 |

Farel Dalrympleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Venable, Colleen AFDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159643421X, Paperback)

Meet the Wrenchies.

They're strong, powerful, and if you cross them, things will quickly go very badly for you. Only one thing scares them—growing up. Because in the world of the Wrenchies, it's only kids who are safe... anyone who survives to be an adult lives in constant fear of the Sahdwosmen. All the teenagers who come into contact with them turn into twisted, nightmarish monsters whose minds are lost forever.

When Hollis, an unhappy and alienated boy, stumbles across a totem that gives him access to the parallel world of the Wrenchies, he finally finds a place where he belongs. But he soon discovers that the feverish, post-apocalyptic world of the Wrenchies isn't staying put... it's bleeding into Hollis's normal, real life. Things are getting very scary, very fast.

Farel Dalrymple brings all his significant literary and artistic powers to bear in his magnum opus—a sprawling, intense science fiction tale that has at its heart the uncertainty and loneliness of growing up.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

"Sherwood and Orson should never have gone into that cave. That day, a door was opened from our world into a dark and profane realm...and earth's destiny was changed forever. In this demented future, whatever life remains on earth is oppressed by the evil shadowsmen. Only a gang of ruthless and powerful children called the Wrenchies can hope to stand against them. When Hollis, a lonely boy from our world, is magically given access to the future world of the Wrenchies, he finally finds a place he belongs. But it is not an easy world to live in, and Hollis's quest is bigger than he ever dreamed of."--From publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,647,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible