They All Fall Down: Shadow Jumpers (Volume…

They All Fall Down: Shadow Jumpers (Volume 2)

by Angela Brown

521,436,638 (3.5)None

he book starts off quickly, and pulls you in just like Neverlove did. You see that Abigail and Basil are still chasing their happily ever after, and that the Devourer is still causing havoc on earth with his plots and plans.
And since the form of Father Quin has taken over the dubious honor of being the lord of Hell, part of those plots includes getting Abby back! Q has even enlisted Basil's mother into the plan, and has a new girlfriend for Basil.

Abby meets another "former" Harvester, who saves her from getting run over. He's also there when her and Basil hit a rough patch after her seeing pictures that aren't quite what they seem. These pictures are on the camera that belongs to the other Harvester, who accidently gave her his by mistake when he "saved" her.

Over all, I highly recommend this novel. You still have the same characters you fell (or will fall) in love with from Neverlove. They All Fall Down has plenty of action, lots of suspense, and an ending that just might catch you by surprise! This book is a complete package, with a 4 star rating. ( )
  weinerjm | Jan 10, 2016 |
I thought that the prequel, Neverlove, deserved a 2.5 but this one gets the entire 3 stars.
The Good: the action sequences were exciting, character motivations, while sometimes stupid/sappy (as people often are) were clearly drawn and made sense within the context of the story. I like that there are no unflawed characters here. The prose is cleanly written and my internal editor mostly stayed in the off position.
The Bad: The characterization, as with the previous book, was shallow. These characters werent well fleshed out. Their pasts don't !much exist and beyond one another they seem not to have much of a life. I had a difficult time caring about anyone beyond the protagonists and them only because I've been with them for two books now. I have a difficult time visualizing some of these characters and places. Plainly there is just not enough depth.
The Ugly: So... yeah I get that this is a romance, or a paranormal with romance. Doesn't matter how you put it. Romance isn't my cuppa. As with much romance the crap happens at the wrong moments. You can't be standing in hell arguing with the devil thinking about cuddling with your boyfriend. Really? Bad timing. Just wrong. And as with similar books, these people seem to let their love take them to the edge of insanity and back before coming to their senses. All of the turmoil in this book between Abby and Basil could have been avoided had one or the other stopped trying to prove their love, protect their love, save their love. I mean just communicate, take the tongue lashing, and build some solid trust here people and the DEVIL won't be able to screw you up.
So if I don't like romance, why read it? I am trying to broaden my reading scope. And while the complained much, I wouldn't have finished this book had I not thought it had strength and merit.
This book missed lots of opportunities to be really good. I mean it had a couple of diverse protags, a unique storyline, magic, shadow jumping, conflict, right vs. wrong, twists turns and surprises. This book has a lot good going for it. ( )
  khaalidah | Mar 14, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,619,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible